Is That Really Real: Would you consider using artificial decor in your saltwater aquarium?

Would you consider using artificial decor in your saltwater aquarium? (Tell us why or why not!)

• Yes, I would consider it.

Votes: 29 11.9%
  • No, I would not consider it.

Votes: 189 77.8%
  • I use artificial decor in my aquarium now.

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • I have used it in the past, and I loved it.

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • I have used it in the past, but I won't again.

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Artificial tank decor is often used to spruce up freshwater tanks, but it's not often heard of in our saltwater world. Although some options exist to add pizazz to your tank, some would argue that there are some prevailing factors on why you should steer clear. What do you think?

Would you consider using artificial decor in your saltwater aquarium? Why or why not?

45F9C301-A867-45B6-8B77-CC499A0951D6.jpeg

Photo Credit: Terri Caton

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put artificial decor in a "reef" tank, but if running a non-reef salt tank, then why not? My seahorse tank has artificial decor, so did my previous invert tank.

Though I have to admit, I've seen some reef tanks with the 'sunken ships' with corals growing around them, and some of them are stunning, I think I'd like to try one some day.

Polymate3D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I get something that is trying to imitate real stuff? No. I don't see the point. You invested in a reef aquarium or large saltwater aquarium, why then not get the real stuff as well?

That aspect did my head in with the TV show Tanked!

However I do add 3D printed 'rocks' and frag racks. The rock is a experiment which is still ongoing, but making it habitable for little inverts.

Rock 5.jpeg

3D Printed Rocks

- Paul

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I get something that is trying to imitate real stuff? No. I don't see the point. You invested in a reef aquarium or large saltwater aquarium, why then not get the real stuff as well?

That aspect did my head in with the TV show Tanked!

- Paul
I quit watching Tanked when I saw all they installed was plastic inserts and then called them Reefs. So disappointing to see all that hype for fiberglass and plastic :(

For me it's All or Nothing, so a Salt water aquarium has to be a mixed reef, my biggest issue is in wanting to add Pretty Fishes (Eels etc) that would eat my current stock or coral, and then telling my Impulsive Evil Alter Ego NO!!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some ships and things in my fowlr tank. They looked nice for about six months. Then they got coated in algae. When trying to brush off the algae, the paint came off. So I threw them away. I have never put any in a reef tank.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had some ships and things in my fowlr tank. They looked nice for about six months. Then they got coated in algae. When trying to brush off the algae, the paint came off. So I threw them away. I have never put any in a reef tank.

This is exactly what happens
Unless you use dyed silicone/plastic “corals”

And who knows what’s in this foreign paint. No thank you

Flame2hawk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES! I have 3 large FOWLR’s because I love Angels and some other fish that are not reef safe. However, I’ve only seen inserts that look “very fake and artificial” and crazy expensive. So I’ve stuck to Live Rock and enjoying the fish as color features in my DT. Works for me!

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ones that mimic corals and rocks look ok in a fish only set up but I think things like ships and planes look out of place due to the scale. I've used the fake coral rock ones for a QT but never in my DT.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might in a FOWLR if the look was good, but I don't see how I would mix something artificial into a reef tank.

The wise-crackers at work, where my main tank is, have all joked about adding some six-pack rings or other plastic trash to my reef. Does that count?

Flame2hawk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the best brand of artificial reef inserts that look as real as possible for a FOWLR as I agree would never mix real with fake. Would like to try some in my FOWLR that looks real and doesn't fall apart or/and peel over time…..

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crappy reef inserts…no
Most fake decor…no
Custom made cement or acrylic decor…probably.

I’ve always wanted the look of a sunken ship in my tank. There was one tank I recall, that I believe made a custom sunken ship out of cement (or maybe it was acrylic sheets and rods) that looked absolutely amazing.

Beyond that, I’ll stick with real (although I’m seeing more and more plastic “decor” when I go snorkeling in Florida)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i had 2 buddha head plastic figurines, and a barnacle cluster off of amazon/petco to add some accents to my tank. i think it looked good! my blenny definitely liked the barnacles! the barnacle cluster was towards the back left of the tank

IMG_0595.jpeg

ChrisfromBrick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thought of it makes me cringe in both fresh and salt. Freshwater planted tanks are some of the most beautifully scaped masterpieces i've ever seen. Then you have people that throw in a pirate ship. That stuff is great for the kids. I shouldnt knock it. Makes me laugh when I see grown adults doing that. To each their own I guess.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the best brand of artificial reef inserts that look as real as possible for a FOWLR as I agree would never mix real with fake. Would like to try some in my FOWLR that looks real and doesn't fall apart or/and peel over time…..
I couldn't tell you the brand, but I found many individual pieces via Ebay/maybe Amazon. Ones made out of silicone were the most realistic and relatively natural colors, although those floated so securing was challenging. The hard matte colored plastic ones were easier to mount. Both would attract algae over time and I found bleaching worked for some, but bleach would change the silicone ones.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back