Is seeing bristles worms during the day a bad thing?

BRS

mistergray

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last couple of weeks I’ve started to see bristle worms in my tank during the day. Something I never was accustomed to seeing. I use to only see them in the morning when I flipped the lights on in my living room and then they’d immediately scurry away. I started googling “things that eat bristle worms”. Interestingly, the Flame Hawkfish was one of the few things that helps keep bristle worms in check. Well, it just so happens that my flame hawk fish died about 3 weeks ago, but I never saw him eat a bristle worm before. I’m not sure if he was secretly keeping the bristle worm population in check or if it’s just a coincidence that now he’s gone, they seem to be more visible.

Any who, is seeing bristle worms during the day a bad thing? I can’t add any more fish to my 32 gallon at the moment and I’m concerned an Arrow Crab may potentially eat one of my fish. Any ideas of what I can get to keep the population of bristle worms in check?

BRS
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a problem. I see some come out when I feed during the day. I've got literally thousands and they don't seem to have a negative affect on anything.

Shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve seen them come out many times at feeding time in particular.
That makes me feel much better! I haven’t noticed it before and wondered if I had an invasion. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

TinyReefObsession

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you’re still watching this thread, but just in case :)… Any changes in lighting too? When my neighbor had my tank, I would frequently see them out during the day, but since moving to my place I cleaned the light cover (so that got brighter! Lol), and now I only see them during heavier feedings, when accidentally stirring up detritus, or when the lights around the tank are off in the evenings (more shade). I’m going to get a couple of bumblebee snails and see if they help keep the numbers low… not that I mind them. :)

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you’re still watching this thread, but just in case :)… Any changes in lighting too? When my neighbor had my tank, I would frequently see them out during the day, but since moving to my place I cleaned the light cover (so that got brighter! Lol), and now I only see them during heavier feedings, when accidentally stirring up detritus, or when the lights around the tank are off in the evenings (more shade). I’m going to get a couple of bumblebee snails and see if they help keep the numbers low… not that I mind them. :)
Thanks for sharing. Perhaps I’ll grab some bumblebee snails this weekend as well.

Top Shelf Aquatics

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bumble bee snails and actually love them in the tank.

As for bristle worms, when I set up my Nano tank and when it was at the end of its cycle a local guy in town gave me some GSP since it was growing so fast in his system it was attaching to his sand substrate. I didn't know much about coral dip at the time so I mixed up some peroxide and placed the sheet of GSP in the solution and you would not believe all the bubbles that were coming out from underneath the mat from all the bristle worms being killed.

Long story short a couple of them survived and when I seen them in my rock escape I literally nuked the tank. I took out all my rock and soaked it in a tub of r o d i and peroxide water. Sand bed was clean and I rinsed the rocks off very well and put everything back in the tank. I'm pretty sure I totally killed all of the beneficial bacteria in the tank but whatever, the tank pulled through.

I know most of everybody will disagree with me but if I see one bristle worm in my tank that's one too many and I refuse to keep those worms in my tank even if they are beneficial.

But IMHO if you see them out in the daytime there is an infestation going on. That's my two cents.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As for bristle worms, when I set up my Nano tank and when it was at the end of its cycle a local guy in town gave me some GSP since it was growing so fast in his system it was attaching to his sand substrate. I didn't know much about coral dip at the time so I mixed up some peroxide and placed the sheet of GSP in the solution and you would not believe all the bubbles that were coming out from underneath the mat from all the bristle worms being killed.

Long story short a couple of them survived and when I seen them in my rock escape I literally nuked the tank. I took out all my rock and soaked it in a tub of r o d i and peroxide water. Sand bed was clean and I rinsed the rocks off very well and put everything back in the tank. I'm pretty sure I totally killed all of the beneficial bacteria in the tank but whatever, the tank pulled through.

I know most of everybody will disagree with me but if I see one bristle worm in my tank that's one too many and I refuse to keep those worms in my tank even if they are beneficial.

But IMHO if you see them out in the daytime there is an infestation going on. That's my two cents.
Thanks for sharing! But yeah, they’re hanging out in my tank like it’s a day parade. Funny thing is, I had a Flame Hawk Fish. He died unfortunately. I don’t ever remember seeing any during the day when he was around. Low and behold, research tells me they eat bristleworms. The only reason I’m surprised is because I’ve never seen him eat one. But then again, when he was live they probably only came out at night; when I was sleep. Who knows…

CLICK TO VIEW

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At night my sand bed turns pink.

During the day I can see little pipe cleaners coming out of the rock here and there.

Perfectly normal, population reflects amount of food for them to eat, they're taking a lot of the leftovers.

Best removal is maybe traps to thin the population then reducing feedings, but overall they're good to have as they're simply thriving to keep the tank cleaner, it might actually be more damaging to the current tank ecosystem to remove them.

Just wear gloves when touching the rock/equipment and once the lights go out you also stay out.

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! But yeah, they’re hanging out in my tank like it’s a day parade. Funny thing is, I had a Flame Hawk Fish. He died unfortunately. I don’t ever remember seeing any during the day when he was around. Low and behold, research tells me they eat bristleworms. The only reason I’m surprised is because I’ve never seen him eat one. But then again, when he was live they probably only came out at night; when I was sleep. Who knows…
Make a trap to cut them down. There is a few videos on YT that shows how they make them for success.

Also I love dottyback's and their attitudes, some eat bristle worms too.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I'd agree with the above posts. However, there's an old addage about too much of a good thing not being all that good. A system can handle just so much bioload and worms are part of that bioload. I'm inclined after some experiences with heavy bristle worm popoualtions to start removing them when convienient to help[ control the p[opulations.

Nutramar Foods

violetjones

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last couple of weeks I’ve started to see bristle worms in my tank during the day. Something I never was accustomed to seeing. I use to only see them in the morning when I flipped the lights on in my living room and then they’d immediately scurry away. I started googling “things that eat bristle worms”. Interestingly, the Flame Hawkfish was one of the few things that helps keep bristle worms in check. Well, it just so happens that my flame hawk fish died about 3 weeks ago, but I never saw him eat a bristle worm before. I’m not sure if he was secretly keeping the bristle worm population in check or if it’s just a coincidence that now he’s gone, they seem to be more visible.

Any who, is seeing bristle worms during the day a bad thing? I can’t add any more fish to my 32 gallon at the moment and I’m concerned an Arrow Crab may potentially eat one of my fish. Any ideas of what I can get to keep the population of bristle worms in check?
You got no predators and they are getting cocky

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
wouldnt say its a bad thing but may be a sign of overfeeding OR lack of maintenance

seamonster

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nutramar Foods

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like seeing them squiggle into little crevices and appear like little spaghetti. They are fun to watch at night. In my personal opinion, they are a harmless part of your scavenging crew and probably do more work cleaning up aquariums than people give them credit for. But if not wanted, some fish will eat them

sandmanfd

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You’re not alone brother I’m the same way, I know they play a part but I want nothing to do with them.

Nutramar Foods

ClownSchool

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are they only coming out during feeding?
Also, even though it can be hit-or-miss, I’ve heard dottybacks, banded coral shrimp, and arrow head crabs can also help with bristle worm control.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Innovative Marine - Made to Order
Back