Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish food can be pretty random as I think it will decay at different rates depending on location and type. I would quit feeding for a day or 2 and see what happens. If you are useing API they can be a little squirrelly. If it were me I’d do a water change wait a day and see where it’s at. But TBH I’m new

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jess5023

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish food can be pretty random as I think it will decay at different rates depending on location and type. I would quit feeding for a day or 2 and see what happens. If you are useing API they can be a little squirrelly. If it were me I’d do a water change wait a day and see where it’s at. But TBH I’m new
Okay thank you

Upvote 0

Matt Bravo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait 2ppm nitrite? This isn’t really specifically targeting anyone but from what I’ve heard you should let ammonia and nitrites go down to 0. Also word of advice dose ammonia again. Just to be safe and double check that the tank really did cycle. It’s better to figure out if it’s cycled while there are no fish in the tank then after you added livestock. Be patient everyone gets excited but think about it long term

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jess5023

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait 2ppm nitrite? This isn’t really specifically targeting anyone but from what I’ve heard you should let ammonia and nitrites go down to 0. Also word of advice dose ammonia again. Just to be safe and double check that the tank really did cycle. It’s better to figure out if it’s cycled while there are no fish in the tank then after you added livestock. Be patient everyone gets excited but think about it long term
Okay I will put ammonia in again to check!

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forget to mention I did a 50%water change about 2 weeks ago because my nitrate and nitrite was very high is that okay to do? I did a 25% but still very high so I did a 50%
Water changes are fine. But "very high" nitrate would be over 100 in this situation... and if you still have nitrITE, the nitrATE will be falsely high. Once you're cycled, then do a water change to get nitrates to 20-ish (or below).

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll always advocate for patience and think you're doing a good job making sure to not rush things; I do believe you're safe to start adding some cuc (assuming your lights are on and there's algae) and slowly adding fish. Just remember, a tank is "cycled" when it has enough nitrifying bacteria to handle the current bioload; adding fish increases the bioload and you need to give the bacteria time to catch up after each addition... this is also why some suggest adding a capful of the shelf-stable (i.e. not refrigerated) type of bacteria with each fish addition, just to boost the bac population. (Not really necessary though unless you're adding more than 1-2 fish per month...)

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a nitrate spike “which you did” you’re cycled.. I’m guessing the nitrite reading is false or your nitrates would be super high with a false reading as eyore mentioned.. should be good to go as long as you start adding fish slowly..

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
A Reef Creation
Back