+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

So I know flame angels are typically spoken of as "reef safe with caution" but I want to know how concerned I should be right now. I just picked up a new flame angel about 2-3 weeks ago and just noticed she's been nipping at some of my corals while shes swimming around in addition to the rock work. So far I have seen her nip at two of my chalices, a fuzzy mushroom, and one of my hammers. (Just small pecks, the same as they do to the rocks.)

Does this angel have a taste for corals and is it time to get her out? Or will additional feedings with meaty foods help keep her full and away from my corals?

My head says she's gotta go but my heart says give it time. I used to have one of these fish for over 5 years that was a model citizen before losing it to an ich outbreak. I know each fish is different but let's see how some of you guys weigh in on this!

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's hard to eat the cookies on the counter when being fed 10 hamburgers a day but, still possible.
How about 5 Hamburgers and 3 cookies please!! ;)
On the other hand my coral beauty doesn’t touch my SPS but if I put ANY LPS in the tank it’s gone the next day. Honestly just depends on the fish. Some have had luck with them some others haven’t. The last flame angel I had ate everything. So out he went.

OP
OP
tylr9m482

tylr9m482

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments everyone. It helps to hear experiences others have already had. I do value my corals and if it comes down to it I will take the angel out. Since we are all in quarantine still and I am home, I'm going to monitor the situation for the next few days but if I start to see any serious issues with the corals I'll break out the fish trap and nets!

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My standard answer to this (and there are lots of threads on the topic) is that it’s more about the reefer than the fish. If you are going to freak out every time the fish picks at something then don’t keep angels ... because the vast majority of them do. If you can tolerate a bit of nipping then keep it. Most of the time nipping is harmless, though that does depend a little bit on what corals you keep.

OP
OP
tylr9m482

tylr9m482

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I'm sitting here watching the angel and all of a sudden my yellow tang is picking at my gold hammer that the angel nipped at a couple times earlier... I've never heard of tangs doing this... anyone else?

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
tylr9m482

tylr9m482

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My standard answer to this (and there are lots of threads on the topic) is that it’s more about the reefer than the fish. If you are going to freak out every time the fish picks at something then don’t keep angels ... because the vast majority of them do. If you can tolerate a bit of nipping then keep it. Most of the time nipping is harmless, though that does depend a little bit on what corals you keep.

I have actually heard this as well. I mainly keep LPS but thinking about getting into SPS sticks soon, multiple torches, frogspawns, hammers, chalices, lobo, trumpet and duncans, as well as a squamosa clam. All nice meaty food for this guy, Like you said it doesn't seem like anything is being devoured, just nipped at and irritated so far.

I guess time will tell if the corals start going downhill or if I start obsessing over this lol likely a mix of the two.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with ca1ore. I also think it helps a lot to have a mature tank with large colonies. The random nipping that most of them do is not a big deal in that setting.

That said, I'm 0 for 3 introducing dwarf angels (2 flames and a flameback) to tanks with smaller colonies/frags.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to eat the cookies on the counter when being fed 10 hamburgers a day but, still possible.

This sums it up perfectly. I don't put much food in my tank so no angel has ever been reef safe for me. I picked up a light from a guy who had a flame, potters, and lemon peel in a 40g breeder filled with sps and he had great polyp extension on everything. He said his secret to success was being retired and able to feed 5 times a day. Said he has never had issues with any angel eating coral since he started feeding more.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize you are past this point already....but one thing I want to emphasize for anyone who will try in the future is that any time I am introducing a questionable fish into the tank I always train them to eat out of the net while in quarantine before putting in the display tank. Usually doesn't take more than a couple weeks and makes life a heck of a lot easier when you need to get them out of the display.

OP
OP
tylr9m482

tylr9m482

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize you are past this point already....but one thing I want to emphasize for anyone who will try in the future is that any time I am introducing a questionable fish into the tank I always train them to eat out of the net while in quarantine before putting in the display tank. Usually doesn't take more than a couple weeks and makes life a heck of a lot easier when you need to get them out of the display.

Interesting tip. I'll keep this in mind for the future!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Frag Farm
Back