Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am am trying to decide if there is any reliable way for a display tank and a fish room system to share sumps that require all plumbing to go through the ceiling plenum between the two rooms. I am on slab on grade and do not have a common wall between where the living room display tank and where i have space for a ”fish” room. If possible I would like the larger combined water volume to minimize duplicating equipment and more water stability.

The only thing I can think of is two synchronized loops, but the question is how to keep them synchronized? water sensors and hydros controllers maybe? Or is there a solution I am just not thinking of?

A684CB23-3DD5-4D95-A12B-8DC398F8717B.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the OP - Yes. Your idea of two synchronized loops will work although keeping them synchronized will be a challenge long term. They could be unsynchonized and use float switches or sensors truning on and off the pumps depending on the water levels. You couls also have a drain line that goes from the DT to the sump through the cieling plenum, once air has been evacuated water will siphon from the DT to the sump and you would only need a pump topump waterfrom the sump to the DT. WHichever you decide to go with redundancy and sensors or swithchs and alarms are advisable.

OP
OP
R

rpgraff

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the OP - Yes. Your idea of two synchronized loops will work although keeping them synchronized will be a challenge long term. They could be unsynchonized and use float switches or sensors truning on and off the pumps depending on the water levels. You couls also have a drain line that goes from the DT to the sump through the cieling plenum, once air has been evacuated water will siphon from the DT to the sump and you would only need a pump topump waterfrom the sump to the DT. WHichever you decide to go with redundancy and sensors or swithchs and alarms are advisable.
You are right, using sensors to turn on and off a pump in each sump pumping to the other would be easier to keep sump levels constant.

I am having trouble visualizing your second idea of the drain line of the display tank drawing to the sump of the utility room tanks and visa versa.

AS

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a line that is in a full siphon from my utility room up into my ceiling, about 40 feet horizontal and then down into my ATO reservoir. Both ends stay completely submerged at all times but I somehow still get bubbles in my line. I don’t know if there is negative pressure that is pulling gasses out of the liquid but I would definitely not trust it for a remote sump. If someone did do it that way there were would at least need to be a failsafe for when/if it losses siphon.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. . . I am having trouble visualizing your second idea of the drain line of the display tank drawing to the sump of the utility room tanks and visa versa.

I have a line that is in a full siphon from my utility room up into my ceiling, about 40 feet horizontal and then down into my ATO reservoir. Both ends stay completely submerged at all times but I somehow still get bubbles in my line. I don’t know if there is negative pressure that is pulling gasses out of the liquid but I would definitely not trust it for a remote sump. If someone did do it that way there were would at least need to be a failsafe for when/if it losses siphon.

If there's a pipe that has both ends submerged like @Gtinnel describes and the air is removed you'll have a siphon going from the higher one to the lower one. One source of air will be algae growing inside the plumbing so black plumbing is advisable. The diameter of the plumbing is a factor also, smaller diameter will have faster velocity that will pull air pubbles with it but reduced volume. One solution is to have an airline that goes back to a small pump in the DT that is continually pulling out any air that collects.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back