Is it normal for cleaner wrasse to hide?

Nutramar

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a cleaner wrasse today and he is eating, swims fine, and looks very healthy but then all of a sudden he just goes in the rock work and lays down in a little hole. Is this normal?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a cleaner wrasse today and he is eating, swims fine, and looks very healthy but then all of a sudden he just goes in the rock work and lays down in a little hole. Is this normal?
Yes this is normal, every fish when new will hide at some point. It’s likely just adjusting, I’ve had wrasses hang out and about for the first few hours of the first day of being in the tank and then out of nowhere they just go into hiding for the rest of the day.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is normal, every fish when new will hide at some point. It’s likely just adjusting, I’ve had wrasses hang out and about for the first few hours of the first day of being in the tank and then out of nowhere they just go into hiding for the rest of the day.
Good to know. Same thing is happening with my new fire goby he was swimming and eating normally yesterday but today he’s just hiding under a rock and doesn’t come out to eat. Should I check on him or just leave him?

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read These can be very hard fish to keep long term

depends geographically where it’s from some are easier to keep with less dietary demands .
some of these fish require large amounts of parasites from many fish to sustain .

@vetteguy53081 perhaps you can clarify

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

depends geographically where it’s from some are easier to keep with less dietary demands .
some of these fish require large amounts of parasites from many fish to sustain .

He’s fine now and is eating well

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Same thing is happening with my new fire goby he was swimming and eating normally yesterday but today he’s just hiding under a rock and doesn’t come out to eat. Should I check on him or just leave him?
Never mind he’s fine now

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’ve had mine 8 years now and never did hide until each evening

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cleaner Wrasses are difficult no matter their geographical origin. The ones that are easiest are the ones bred in captivity.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Upvote 0

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner Wrasses are difficult no matter their geographical origin. The ones that are easiest are the ones bred in captivity.
Thats always been said but never found it true of common cleaner wrasses. Mine 9 yo cleans fish, eats flake, frozen, even nori and has never been an issue. I have had several (all wild) in the past 30 years and all the same. Now Hawaiian cleaner wrasses are a whole different story and one of the few fish, along with purple queen anthias, I am convinced can't survive in a tank for any period of time. I'm guilty of killing two of the cleaners in the process of trying years ago.

Upvote 0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats always been said but never found it true of common cleaner wrasses. Mine 9 yo cleans fish, eats flake, frozen, even nori and has never been an issue. I have had several (all wild) in the past 30 years and all the same. Now Hawaiian cleaner wrasses are a whole different story and one of the few fish, along with purple queen anthias, I am convinced can't survive in a tank for any period of time. I'm guilty of killing two of the cleaners in the process of trying years ago.
You likely got lucky and your LFS got them feeding before you got them. I’ve seen the nightmare side of Cleaner Wrasses and those healthy ones that thrive are rather hard to come across unless an LFS knows certain tricks such as Masstik and other techniques.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines the same except for the eating out of your hand part

Upvote 0

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely got lucky and your LFS got them feeding before you got them. I’ve seen the nightmare side of Cleaner Wrasses and those healthy ones that thrive are rather hard to come across unless an LFS knows certain tricks such as Masstik and other techniques.
Probably just luck... he was pretty much just out of the bag at LFS from Quality Marine although QM back then actually meant "quality".

Upvote 0
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back