Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a 55 gal tank. Is it worth it to add an ATO to this tank? I do not have a sump for this tank. Just a filter.

In you experience was it worth it to add an ATO to your setup? Why?

AquaCave Logo Banner

T-J

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down one of the best inventions for reef tanks. I've been doing this for over 20 years. Before we had to use IV lines and GUESS on how much water was evaporating by dripping it into the tank. ATO's keep the salinity very stable. I wouldn't run a tank without one!

Sshannon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have a glass top over your tank to limit evaporation, an ATO; although a luxury item; is so convenient to have. Plus having it top off throughout the day is way more stable than dumping 2 gallons of RO water at the end of each week. That said, you get what you pay for. Make sure you get one with a redundant second sensor to prevent overflows or snails knocking around the first sensor.

Nutramar Foods

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a 55 gal tank. Is it worth it to add an ATO to this tank? I do not have a sump for this tank. Just a filter.

In you experience was it worth it to add an ATO to your setup? Why?

Yes. Less Maintenance. You can also leave a few days and not worry about water level or salinity.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Joe31415

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for it being worth it. I have a 40 g tank (that I drilled) and a 20g sump. All together, probably about 50g of saltwater. I'd guess that the tank evaporates 2-3 gallons per week.
The problem with a typical tank/sump set up is that you run the risk of your return pump running dry. However, you don't have a sump so that isn't a concern. However, what is still a concern is that as water evaporates, the salt concentration gets higher.

Don't get me wrong, you don't have to buy one this week. Just keep it in the back of your mind and buy a decent one (like a Tunze 3155 as opposed to a Tunze 3152) when you have the money and are ready and willing to spend it. In the mean time, when the water is at your preferred height, mark the water level on the glass with some tape or a marker or something, that way you're not guessing. Again, remember, as the water level goes down, the salt concentration goes up. It's not like a fresh water tank where you can just let it run down and add a random amount of water back in to it. You need to keep the height relatively consistent by topping off with RODI.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jug next to my tank filled with RODI water I just manually put some in daily I would like ATO but hard for me to justify cost, it takes me like 10 secs a day
Get a gravity fed float valve. For a few dollars you can automate. No electricity, nothing to go bad. The only problem would be if gravity stopped working.
It's what I did
20211001_161423.jpg
Screenshot_20211001-161400_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
https://www.triton.de/en/
Back