Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larry here. New to R2R. I have never had the forum bug but I'm starting a new phase of my life and this may be just the place. I live north of Seattle,WA. I am 77 years old and have been keeping fish since 1968. In 2006 I converted to saltwater with a new 90 gallon tank. After 17 years I was concerned about the stability of the tank and tore it down a couple of months ago.

I retired from Fluke company, a technology measurement instrument company, January 2009. Fluke made electronic measurement and sourcing instruments. Meters to measure and sources to use for calibration. Spent 9 years in the U.S. Navy as a nuclear reactor on fast attack submarines stationed in Groton, CT area. Working for Fluke I lived in Iowa, Illinois and here in Washington.

At my age I wanted a smaller tank with easier maintenance. Smaller water changes and less cleaning. I'm currently pricing a Red Sea Reefer 300G and plan to place an order in the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to setting up a new tank with the latest modern equipment. I'm still trying to visualize a new reef design.

My search for a new tank brought me to the web and R2R. I was an early adopter of the web before it existed. My first Apple computer would connect to a 'bulletin board' which was run by a local computer store. We could meet and share computer information there. This was before eMail, web browsers or internet providers. All with a 300 baud modem on the phone line. The web today is so much more.

I may even have something to contribute from my years of experience.

See you on the web........

Hi Larry and Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). Its never too early and what you've written above would even be a great start - you might consider just copying it to a new thread in the Member Aquarium area of Forum. You have a gift for writing!

This might help you find people local to you north of Seattle:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef and back to the obsession
Photo_1663255288204.jpg

bhudson

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larry here. New to R2R. I have never had the forum bug but I'm starting a new phase of my life and this may be just the place. I live north of Seattle,WA. I am 77 years old and have been keeping fish since 1968. In 2006 I converted to saltwater with a new 90 gallon tank. After 17 years I was concerned about the stability of the tank and tore it down a couple of months ago.

I retired from Fluke company, a technology measurement instrument company, January 2009. Fluke made electronic measurement and sourcing instruments. Meters to measure and sources to use for calibration. Spent 9 years in the U.S. Navy as a nuclear reactor on fast attack submarines stationed in Groton, CT area. Working for Fluke I lived in Iowa, Illinois and here in Washington.

At my age I wanted a smaller tank with easier maintenance. Smaller water changes and less cleaning. I'm currently pricing a Red Sea Reefer 300G and plan to place an order in the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to setting up a new tank with the latest modern equipment. I'm still trying to visualize a new reef design.

My search for a new tank brought me to the web and R2R. I was an early adopter of the web before it existed. My first Apple computer would connect to a 'bulletin board' which was run by a local computer store. We could meet and share computer information there. This was before eMail, web browsers or internet providers. All with a 300 baud modem on the phone line. The web today is so much more.

I may even have something to contribute from my years of experience.

See you on the web........
Thank you for your years of service in the Navy, Larry.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JBJAquarium.com
Back