I'm new and and STRUGGLING.........HELP!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT as of yesterday

Ammonia - 1.2
Nitrites - 1 +
Nitrates - 2

QT as of yesterday

Ammonia - 2
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 0

Here is the frustrating thing, two days ago the ammonia in the QT tank was off the charts, I did a 95% water change, just left them enough to stay alive in. I tested again after and ammonia levels were still at 1.2. How can that be??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
What salt mix are you using ?
Are you testing water right after water changes?

To confirm your test results, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet?
What salt mix are you using ?
Are you testing water right after water changes?

To confirm your test results, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I'm using RODI water, I have a set up. I am using the Red Sea salt mix, same as my LFS where I purchased the fish. I am testing before and after water changes. That's a good suggestions about taking the water in to them to have them test it. I will for sure do that. Thank you.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are the QT and DT? API kits are ok if you follow the instructions exactly. Instead of chasing both systems, focus on one and get the fish moved to a safer system. Would your LFS hold them for you while you get stabilized?
My QT is 13.5g and the DT is 70g. I do feel like I'm following instructions exactly but I'm also new and not perfect so of course there is room for error. I appreciate the suggestion to focus on one system, that really is what I am trying to do. I just want to get the ammonia in the DT tank down so I can transfer them as I just think its too difficult to manage the levels in the QT with the size. So far though we are still hovering around 1.2 for ammonia and really high nitrites so I just don't feel I can safely transfer yet. I am going to try the vinegar suggestion in the DT and test again tomorrow and hopefully things will be stable enough to transfer.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. I also want to mention that they all refused to eat last night which is totally out
View attachment 3106252
of the norm.
They appear to be swimming normal but breathing very fast.
I see stuff floating in the water. Is that air bubbles of something else. If you do have an airpump out powerhead, get it in there. Get the top of the water agitated.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT is 13.5g and the DT is 70g. I do feel like I'm following instructions exactly but I'm also new and not perfect so of course there is room for error. I appreciate the suggestion to focus on one system, that really is what I am trying to do. I just want to get the ammonia in the DT tank down so I can transfer them as I just think its too difficult to manage the levels in the QT with the size. So far though we are still hovering around 1.2 for ammonia and really high nitrites so I just don't feel I can safely transfer yet. I am going to try the vinegar suggestion in the DT and test again tomorrow and hopefully things will be stable enough to transfer.
I my opinion, 14 day cycle should be done.
1.2 ammonia is less than 2. The bigger tank might be your safer bet.
How long have the fish been in your possession?

OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They appear to be swimming normal but breathing very fast.
I see stuff floating in the water. Is that air bubbles of something else. If you do have an airpump out powerhead, get it in there. Get the top of the water agitated.
I do have a powerhead, its already in there but pointed more downward. I will redirect it toward the surface.

Corals.com

WarChief

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, technically it does not - provided that you are prepared to keep doing 75% water changes 4 times a day.
So yes, your QT needed to by cycled up just like the DT. Normally QT's are quick cycled using bottled bac, or media from the pest free DT.

Assuming you are using a decent Ammonia test kit or Ammonia Alert badge, you'll need to keep up the water changes.
Please do not rely on API test kits for any parameter in a reef tank, especially Ammonia.
What is everyones gripe with API test kits? I got a buddy that has been doing this forever who swears they work well...

WarChief

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I my opinion, 14 day cycle should be done.
1.2 ammonia is less than 2. The bigger tank might be your safer bet.
How long have the fish been in your possession?
Id throw them in the big tank personally.

Avast
OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any spots, sicknesses that you have noticed at all?
Not that I can tell no. I will admit though that I'm not an expert. I know for sure no ick spots and no velvet but I honestly don't think I could identify anything else.

OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id throw them in the big tank personally.
I think I'm there. I just tested both tanks again and these are the readings.

DT -
Ammonia between 0.8 and 1.2
Nitrites 1 +
Nitrates between 5 and 10

QT -
Ammonia 2 +
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

With the ammonia levels steadily decreasing in the DT and the behavior I'm seeing I feel like its worth the risk moving them to the DT right away so I'm going to start acclimating them as soon as the temp comes up in the DT as it was a teeny bit low. Thank you everyone for the advice. It's so nerve-wracking to be new and having things go wrong when I thought I was doing all the right things.

dkelley

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cycle the DT with any bottled bacteria? If so how long ago? I just use one of the badges to let me know if ammonia is present, they aren't accurate as to how much ammonia but it seems to be accurate that there is or isn't any there.

WarChief

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm there. I just tested both tanks again and these are the readings.

DT -
Ammonia between 0.8 and 1.2
Nitrites 1 +
Nitrates between 5 and 10

QT -
Ammonia 2 +
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

With the ammonia levels steadily decreasing in the DT and the behavior I'm seeing I feel like its worth the risk moving them to the DT right away so I'm going to start acclimating them as soon as the temp comes up in the DT as it was a teeny bit low. Thank you everyone for the advice. It's so nerve-wracking to be new and having things go wrong when I thought I was doing all the right things.
Yea with the amount of time it has been and the levels I'd get on that ASAP.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NY
Back