Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a post here I think I’ve opted to go with the IM 50 AIO lagoon instead of the 40L. I was planning on two AI primes to light the 40 but now I’m unsure of what route to go. I am not necessarily on a budget but I am budget conscious. Was hoping to keep lighting around $500, give or take. What would you recommend from the list and why? That said I’m going for a softie & LPS tank. Maybe an SPS or two way down the road. Not looking to have an SPS dominant tank at any point.

A). Two AI prime 16
B). One AI hydra 32
C). One XR15 Pro
D). 24” RB Photon 24 V2 Pro
E). Other

Thank you all for the input!!

Last edited:
Corals.com
Nutramar Foods

Caleb123

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the 50 lagoon AIO as well. I had 2 ai prime 16HDs for several months to start. While they did ok, I was not satisfied with the par readings or the coverage. In my opinion they are underpowered for this size tank. I have a large CSB anemone and softies and LPS. I bought a Radion XR30 pro G5 secondhand and I am much happier. The coverage and par are much better and in my opinion the single light fixture looks much better on the tank. I don’t know that I can attribute it to the light, or the maturation of my tank as a whole (likely a combination of the two), but my CSB has started to really show off it’s colors and coral growth has increased tremendously.

World Wide Corals

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really about the coverage. I run a couple of AI 32's on my IM40 which is 6" less in width. I am still thinking about getting some Blades or reef brites and angle them in. This is why T5's work so well, the even coverage throughout the tank. The sun, while being a pin point light source, moves across the sky providing light at least one point during the day

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

thelonereefer1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a single xr15 gen 5 on my IM50. It’s an lps tank and so far it has worked well for me. I much prefer the look of a single mounted radion over two especially on such a small footprint. This is just my personal preference

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I recently got one of these lights. Honestly for the price it seems great. Have it above a nano tank and running all blues at 40%. Getting about 200 par about 15 inches down. With 5 customizable channels, day/night cycle, moonlight, mounting arm, it even has a display of how warm the light is running its been a good find. Gonna put some acros under it tomorrow, but I'd think 2 of these could do well for you. I understand if you aren't interested in a unproven brand tho

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a product (brand, model) recommendation that I may be able to go look into?
ATI bulbs, on the fixture you can run cheap Amazon or go to bulk reef supply and they have fixtures made for reef ing. On the ati web sight they have bulb combo suggested for 4, 6 and 8 setups based on color desired. I suggest t5 because you can't screw it up. It's plug and play.

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run Radion on DT’s. I also have/had the IM10, IM20, IM40, and IM120.

I have made my own LED fixtures, ran MH’s, T5’s, kessils, AI and combinations of all. I would use 2 XR15’s and know that I had enough light and reliability.

Little late but Honestly I would go with the IM60 or IM80. You’ll spend the same to properly light one of those vs the IM50. IIRC the IM60+ will allow for the tunze 9012DC skimmer which is awesome for AIO’s if you need a skimmer down the road.

I just bought a Wills from Amazon for a little frag tank- which if you don’t care about complex settings, is surprisingly bright for $100. Get 2 if you like at that price.

OP
OP
C

carguy4471

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run Radion on DT’s. I also have/had the IM10, IM20, IM40, and IM120.

I have made my own LED fixtures, ran MH’s, T5’s, kessils, AI and combinations of all. I would use 2 XR15’s and know that I had enough light and reliability.

Little late but Honestly I would go with the IM60 or IM80. You’ll spend the same to properly light one of those vs the IM50. IIRC the IM60+ will allow for the tunze 9012DC skimmer which is awesome for AIO’s if you need a skimmer down the road.

I just bought a Wills from Amazon for a little frag tank- which if you don’t care about complex settings, is surprisingly bright for $100. Get 2 if you like at that price.
Radion really would be the go to, but man, that price. I get that they are nice lights but at nearly double the cost of anything else that make it pretty tough to swallow.

The SR60 isn't out of the question. That really would be my first choice for a tank. You make a good point about the lighting though.

I appreciate the input!!

OP
OP
C

carguy4471

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI bulbs, on the fixture you can run cheap Amazon or go to bulk reef supply and they have fixtures made for reef ing. On the ati web sight they have bulb combo suggested for 4, 6 and 8 setups based on color desired. I suggest t5 because you can't screw it up. It's plug and play.
I'll have a peek. Although I'm a big fan of the sunset and sundown that you can get out of LED fixtures. Can T5 setups do this?

Nutramar Foods

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 6 bulb but this can be done with a 4 bulb. The t5 will have 2 channels. 2 on the outside and the center will be another. Put ati blue plus on the outside and when you want the blue, just turn the center channel off.
I'll have a peek. Although I'm a big fan of the sunset and sundown that you can get out of LED fixtures. Can T5 setups do this?

OP
OP
C

carguy4471

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people are getting astray from your request for a low cost setup lol
A wee bit yeah. That being said, I'm not super keen on $100 lights off amazon. I would really love to be as close to something mainstream with a nice app as I can get. But, every piece of input is appreciated even if not strictly in the realm of what I'm hoping for. Information is always good in my book.

The RB photon really seems to fit in that respect. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.

AS

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wee bit yeah. That being said, I'm not super keen on $100 lights off amazon. I would really love to be as close to something mainstream with a nice app as I can get. But, every piece of input is appreciated even if not strictly in the realm of what I'm hoping for. Information is always good in my book.

The RB photon really seems to fit in that respect. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.

Photon is ok. I basically have that style of light (different brand, same chinese manufacturer). You just need to mount them very high to avoid hotspots.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back