Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! What lighting is recommended for the Innovative Marine 40L AIO aquarium? I will be starting out with softies and LPS, but I know if I have success after the first year or two I will want to take on SPS challenges. The last thing I want is to be option limited in the future and I would like to get the lighting correct for the tank intention so I do not have to move corals down the line.

From the website: Display DIMS is Length 34.79” Width: 16” Height: 12.99”

I currently have one AI Hydra 32 HD. From BRS, the recommended coverage for this light is 24"x24". This is the current spread around the tank with my aquascape (don't worry, light is not normally on during cycling!). Would you recommend buying a second AI Hydra 32HD and placing them 12" apart for full tank coverage?

PXL_20230322_023211091.MP.jpg

Thank you for your time!

Top Shelf Aquatics

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hydras or 2 Noopsyche K7s or 3 primes or 3 Noopsyche minis. The tank is shallow (13") so 3 nano lights or 2 big boy lights should work! Think the two big boys will give more flexibility if you want SPS or clams.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Hooz

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have a 32HD, adding another would be the smartest/easiest thing to do. I wouldn't space them evenly, though, I'd shift them a few inches out towards the ends so the hotspot in the middle (where the lights overlap) isn't as much.

If you didn't already have a 32HD, I'd say that 3x Primes (or similar) would be just as good, with maybe even a bit more even coverage.

OP
OP
trophyhimbo

trophyhimbo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have a 32HD, adding another would be the smartest/easiest thing to do. I wouldn't space them evenly, though, I'd shift them a few inches out towards the ends so the hotspot in the middle (where the lights overlap) isn't as much.

If you didn't already have a 32HD, I'd say that 3x Primes (or similar) would be just as good, with maybe even a bit more even coverage.
Ah, I see your point thanks! I'll see if I can rent a PAR meter from my LFS or do the BRS buy/return thing once the second light comes in.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
trophyhimbo

trophyhimbo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40L for everyone, love it!

I'd definitely say another light is in order.

I think @JoJosReef nailed it. Another Hydra seems to be in the cards.
It's such a convenient tank! Only problem for me is since it's sitting on a counter instead of a dedicated stand, I've spent way too much time organizing the cords all bunched up in the back haha

OP
OP
trophyhimbo

trophyhimbo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hydras or 2 Noopsyche K7s or 3 primes or 3 Noopsyche minis. The tank is shallow (13") so 3 nano lights or 2 big boy lights should work! Think the two big boys will give more flexibility if you want SPS or clams.
Two big boys it is! Probably should not have started going down the clam rabbit hole... I am now setting what may turn out to be some excessively ambitious tank goals

OP
OP
trophyhimbo

trophyhimbo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're planning for a lot of coral, yes - a second Hydra down the road would be a good investment.
All the coral!! I am planning on leaving space on the higher rock levels just in case I want to dip into some SPS if the beginner stuff goes all right

CLICK TO VIEW

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the coral!! I am planning on leaving space on the higher rock levels just in case I want to dip into some SPS if the beginner stuff goes all right
It's a good strategy. If there's anything that can potentially spread like weeds (GSP, xenias) it's best to isolate those on rocks from everything else.

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two big boys it is! Probably should not have started going down the clam rabbit hole... I am now setting what may turn out to be some excessively ambitious tank goals
With some planning and a par meter, you can make a hot spot in the overlap between the hydras. There's no hot spot that is too hot for a clam. You could get a hot spot going on a rock for either a crocea or maxima or sand for derasa or squamosa. Hitting 400PAR+ is not too much for a clam by any stretch, especially a crocea.

Blopple

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's such a convenient tank! Only problem for me is since it's sitting on a counter instead of a dedicated stand, I've spent way too much time organizing the cords all bunched up in the back haha
I went with a stand, but only because I am concerned about the integrity of my countertops haha. Would have been nice to save a few pennies there.

Hey, it took time, but you did it - which is what matters. Nobody likes a rat's nest!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
LA
Back