Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! My goal with this build of course is to get started in saltwater, didn't know much about R2R but I am definitely glad I have joined. I've kept freshwater tanks over the years and decided now I will work my way to reefing. I am completely new to this and have no prior knowledge than what I have started gathering, so any help is appreciated. My current plan is to gradually start, I would like to take some more time to gather more information, this will hopefully help with my purchases.

I went to many stores in my area until I found one I really liked. I went there yesterday and ordered one of the IM 40L AIOs with the stand through them, should be here in a few weeks. I don't have a set-in-stone build or stocking plan, but now that I have a tank to plan for, I'll start building from there.

Anyway, I am extremely excited. As stated, any help is appreciated, I'm in no rush so for me patience is key with this build.

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Superd513

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! My goal with this build of course is to get started in saltwater, didn't know much about R2R but I am definitely glad I have joined. I've kept freshwater tanks over the years and decided now I will work my way to reefing. I am completely new to this and have no prior knowledge than what I have started gathering, so any help is appreciated. My current plan is to gradually start, I would like to take some more time to gather more information, this will hopefully help with my purchases.

I went to many stores in my area until I found one I really liked. I went there yesterday and ordered one of the IM 40L AIOs with the stand through them, should be here in a few weeks. I don't have a set-in-stone build or stocking plan, but now that I have a tank to plan for, I'll start building from there.

Anyway, I am extremely excited. As stated, any help is appreciated, I'm in no rush so for me patience is key with this build.
That is exactly what I didn’t do and I regret it. I just started my JBJ 28 nano yesterday. Went to my LFS and bought 30 lbs live rock and 20 lbs live sand and 25 gal of Brightwell salt water it cost me 550.00.
I wish I would have bought my Live Rock and live sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater. I strongly urge you to check them out before you go buy from your LFS. They have a startup kit You put in how many gal your tank is and they tell you what all come with it and for how much. They quoted me 450.00 and that was for 60 lbs of live rock. They break it down to 30 lbs of base. And 30 lbs of their premium. And 30 lbs of Gulf of Mexico sand! God I sound like a rep! lol.. I’m just so excited about their products. That was my big regret starting my tank. Was not using their rock and sand.
go to YouTube and look up TampaBaySaltwater live rock delivery. Their rock has so much life on it like sponges and corals ect. The one thing about their products is the shipping. In the startup kit. They ship it straight from ocean to their facility to the airport. They direct fly your order in seawater. You will get it less that 12 hours later. Enough about that lol
As far as aquascaping. I didn’t have much luck gluing the rock like some people do. Especially with wet LR. I ended up with more glue on my fingers. Lol. That’s another huge regret is my aquascape. I ended up just throwing the rock in there ticked off. Lol. So now my plan is to redo my rock this week when I do a water change. I am going to use CaribSea's Create-A-Scape Reef Rods. They are 1/2 “ ceramic rods that are purple color and I can drill out my rocks and connect them with this by gently tapping them in with a hammer. I hope. lol. Plus I’m going to use cable ties as needed. It’s really hard to plan out an aquascape when you don’t know the shape of the rocks. Have redundancy plans for when your plan don’t work like mine. Make sure you have all of your testing kits way in advance they are stupid expensive in LFS. I ordered my refractor for 18.00. Fish store wanted 35. For same one. Oh yea get spare heaters and recirculating pumps used from where ever. Get at least 5 5gal buckets. Think about if your close enough to LFS to get their water or make your own that’s another expense. My store is so close I just go there and it cheap. 1.50 a gallon.
mom sorry for such a long post but I wanted to post everything that caused me problems. I’m super new as well I don’t know ****. Hopefully we can be tank mates and help each other out. Oh yea another thing I used was Brightwell Microbacterstartxlp and I got a Brightwell bio block. I will keep you posted on the development of this. I apologize for such a long post.

OP
OP
R

RageTM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank and stand finally showed up at my local store! Brought it home and got it set up to the best of my ability, I forgot I really don't enjoy building things like this LOL but I did it regardless. The problem was leveling, found out where I wanted to put it in the house was indeed not level, solved it with some extra shimming on one side.

Next will be the rest of the equipment, I have 2 AI primes and everything that came with the tank, and that's about it. Going to have to wait til my current semester is over to get it fully set up anyway, but I can order things as I go, just have to figure out what. Found that it's been nice to see other reefers doing the same tank, so I will definitely see what everyone here is doing and watch with extreme interest.

I have to ask if anyone knows, I went to a store the other day to view test kits, and I didn't know there was anything outside of the standard test like Red Sea for example. One of the workers recommended to me the Hanna checker ones instead since he said there were pros compared to the older style. I have no idea if this is true, I've seen people use a mix of both, but again I wouldn't know I've never done this.

Attachments

• IMG_3416.jpg
    IMG_3416.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 55

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank and stand finally showed up at my local store! Brought it home and got it set up to the best of my ability, I forgot I really don't enjoy building things like this LOL but I did it regardless. The problem was leveling, found out where I wanted to put it in the house was indeed not level, solved it with some extra shimming on one side.

Next will be the rest of the equipment, I have 2 AI primes and everything that came with the tank, and that's about it. Going to have to wait til my current semester is over to get it fully set up anyway, but I can order things as I go, just have to figure out what. Found that it's been nice to see other reefers doing the same tank, so I will definitely see what everyone here is doing and watch with extreme interest.

I have to ask if anyone knows, I went to a store the other day to view test kits, and I didn't know there was anything outside of the standard test like Red Sea for example. One of the workers recommended to me the Hanna checker ones instead since he said there were pros compared to the older style. I have no idea if this is true, I've seen people use a mix of both, but again I wouldn't know I've never done this.
RE: test kits, I have the full suite of Red Sea kits, except for trace elements. Also a bunch of Salifert kits. And I have a Hanna phosphate checker. For Alkalinity, I've switched to going 100% Salifert, because it is so easy to use and easy to tell when the titration is done. For phosphates, if you want anything exact, I think the Hanna is the best, although the test itself is tedious. Problem with the other kits is that the colorimetric reading is ridiculous. I personally cannot tell between zero phosphates, 0.03pm and almost 0.1ppm. What I was doing in the end was just holding the cuvette up to a white board to make sure it wasn't 100% clear. Hanna at least gives you a number. I do Ca and Mg much less frequently and use Salifert, which is as clear a result as their ALK test, just a couple of extra steps. I also prefer Salifert nitrate test over Red Sea. I have not tried Hanna ALK and Nitrate testers, but I don't see any reason to dump my money into them when Salifert is easy and a clear result.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this tank so far, and it's only halfway set up (still pending transfer of livestock from my Evo):
1681843689891.png

trophyhimbo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught up on @JoJosReef 's and @Blopple 's builds and I am excited to follow everyone's adventures! However, if Jojo's meticulous planning is what it takes to achieve their beautiful success then I fear for my tank's future...

@RageTM I am not too far ahead (wet on March 20) but also a saltwater beginner. I elected for no stand since my tank sits on an existing counter, which leaves little room for storage or additional gadgets and some intense cord management.

I LOVE the Hanna tests for taking the guesswork out of readings. I tend to stay away from colorimetric tests if possible, since in a past life I ran into issues trusting my own eyes at a lab bench. They are more expensive though and at least for the saltwater cycling process it seems there is no need for total accuracy, just time for the initial ammonia to clear. There are even articles suggesting that nitrite isn't as big an issue compared to freshwater fish and inverts: https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php which I thought was interesting. I would definitely let more experienced reefers chime in on that though haha

Avast

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught up on @JoJosReef 's and @Blopple 's builds and I am excited to follow everyone's adventures! However, if Jojo's meticulous planning is what it takes to achieve their beautiful success then I fear for my tank's future...

@RageTM I am not too far ahead (wet on March 20) but also a saltwater beginner. I elected for no stand since my tank sits on an existing counter, which leaves little room for storage or additional gadgets and some intense cord management.

I LOVE the Hanna tests for taking the guesswork out of readings. I tend to stay away from colorimetric tests if possible, since in a past life I ran into issues trusting my own eyes at a lab bench. They are more expensive though and at least for the saltwater cycling process it seems there is no need for total accuracy, just time for the initial ammonia to clear. There are even articles suggesting that nitrite isn't as big an issue compared to freshwater fish and inverts: https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php which I thought was interesting. I would definitely let more experienced reefers chime in on that though haha
Thanks! Not sure how great the plan is, as I'm not much of a DIYer, but there's a few budget-friendly things we can do to make an office tank an easier lift. Just got my feeding system running:

So far it works, but the fish are confused and it looks like I'll have to work out flow patterns again. Still, no fasting on the weekends again!

OP
OP
R

RageTM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RE: test kits, I have the full suite of Red Sea kits, except for trace elements. Also a bunch of Salifert kits. And I have a Hanna phosphate checker. For Alkalinity, I've switched to going 100% Salifert, because it is so easy to use and easy to tell when the titration is done. For phosphates, if you want anything exact, I think the Hanna is the best, although the test itself is tedious. Problem with the other kits is that the colorimetric reading is ridiculous. I personally cannot tell between zero phosphates, 0.03pm and almost 0.1ppm. What I was doing in the end was just holding the cuvette up to a white board to make sure it wasn't 100% clear. Hanna at least gives you a number. I do Ca and Mg much less frequently and use Salifert, which is as clear a result as their ALK test, just a couple of extra steps. I also prefer Salifert nitrate test over Red Sea. I have not tried Hanna ALK and Nitrate testers, but I don't see any reason to dump my money into them when Salifert is easy and a clear result.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this tank so far, and it's only halfway set up (still pending transfer of livestock from my Evo):
View attachment 3114786
I think the tank looks amazing so far, excited to see some fish in it. It's gonna be a long journey and stuff like this makes me feel hopeful! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I thank both of you for your general experience and opinions. I still have a lot of information collecting to do, with this hobby (and many others) it seems like there are so many ways of doing things with different equipment it can be a little overwhelming.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have this tank too and love it! I run it pretty simple with no skimmer and minimal rock. I'm happy to help with any questions. I transferred most of this from another tank, but this one has been going about 6 months.
reef.jpg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tank too and love it! I run it pretty simple with no skimmer and minimal rock. I'm happy to help with any questions. I transferred most of this from another tank, but this one has been going about 6 months. View attachment 3117725
Just out of curiosity, why so little LR?

Reef.Raider

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tank too and love it! I run it pretty simple with no skimmer and minimal rock. I'm happy to help with any questions. I transferred most of this from another tank, but this one has been going about 6 months. View attachment 3117725
Now that is a good looking tank! I run the IM 20 and am battling hair algae. Starting to get it under control with larger more frequent water changes.

You tank is some great motivation!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back