+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite the ham you got there! Sorry about the clown :(

The blackcap will be cool. For wrasses, have you checked the wrasse lovers thread? Lots of good info there. Like flashers in a tank our size could be trouble due to their behavior. I've been recommended a leopard, pink streaks and possums, possibly certain heliocheres, but flashers and fairies generally no (some fairies a maybe).

I'm also planning to stock heavy, but trying to keep different fish in their spaces, sand gobies, cave firefish, hosted clowns, perching blenny, and a few swimming wrasses. Just got to keep the bioload in check!
Losing the clown sucked, but it's a lesson learned. I think I delayed treatment too long.

I have looked at the wrasse lovers thread. It's so long that at this point it's almost tough to comb through it haha. Flashers in a 40 seems to be kinda controversial. Some people say it's okay some say not. I think I am going to try it out. If I notice any problems then I'd definitely rehome, but it'd be pretty much the only 'open water' fish so hopefully it works out. I also considered a melanurus wrasse instead of the flasher, but again it's riiiiiight on the edge of what is acceptable ya know? Most of the fairies don't really do much for me.

Really like the pink streaks, but they are spendy and I haven't seen any. As far as leopards I am concerned about pod population so decided to skim 'em.

I've tried to keep the fish separate. The only area I am worried about is rockwork. Blenny, basslet, and possum I'd say are 'rock' fish. That's quite a few. I do have a few separate distinct areas of rock though, so hopefully they all can pick a turf.

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Losing the clown sucked, but it's a lesson learned. I think I delayed treatment too long.

I have looked at the wrasse lovers thread. It's so long that at this point it's almost tough to comb through it haha. Flashers in a 40 seems to be kinda controversial. Some people say it's okay some say not. I think I am going to try it out. If I notice any problems then I'd definitely rehome, but it'd be pretty much the only 'open water' fish so hopefully it works out. I also considered a melanurus wrasse instead of the flasher, but again it's riiiiiight on the edge of what is acceptable ya know? Most of the fairies don't really do much for me.

Really like the pink streaks, but they are spendy and I haven't seen any. As far as leopards I am concerned about pod population so decided to skim 'em.

I've tried to keep the fish separate. The only area I am worried about is rockwork. Blenny, basslet, and possum I'd say are 'rock' fish. That's quite a few. I do have a few separate distinct areas of rock though, so hopefully they all can pick a turf.
I'll be super interested to see how the flasher works out. McKosker was the one I was eyeing before being convinced otherwise. The wrasseguy webpage also has good info on all the popular wrasses. I think that the 40L has great dimensions for its size, so I can see it working better for some fish than their min tank size advertized. Someone also recommended I try a pipefish in the 40L. But, I read they can have problems with anemones and I have 9 currently, so... Still, cool fish if you can get them to eat.

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'd say the tank is cautiously stable.

Fish are all doing well. Basslet still seems to have some swim bladder dysfunction, but is eating, and otherwise seems fun. Hopefully it's resolves. I don't want to vent the swim bladder because I've heard it isn't a permanent fix and I'd simply be introducing bacteria/wound. If it doesn't resolve in a few weejs I'm considering capturing/selling. I realize that sounds bad, but I think it will continue to hide (except for feeding time) unless the swim bladder gets back to normal. It seems that without constant swimming the fish is buoyant, so it stays in a cave, or under an overhang so it doesn't float to the top. I'd like to have a fish that at least has the -option- to swim around and explore.

Corals are doing well, all growing except cloves which seems to be recovering still. I'd like to add more corals, but am concerned that the tank is young and my success so far is just luck.

Plan to add more frogspawn/octo/hammers to the left. REALLY want to do a big goni garden in the dead center behind the GSP, but again worried the tank is too young. Need recommendations for what to do with the back right column near the finger leather and Duncan's. Some kind of medium- medium high light encrusting chalice could be cool, or maybe a monti cap?

Recommendations for the right side? Should I trial a cheaper goni in the center, or should I slow my roll and wait for a few weeks?

Attachments

• PXL_20230530_000612799.jpg
    PXL_20230530_000612799.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 8
World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

PremiumAquatics.com
Back