Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two bronze corys that recently developed these white patches all over. The one shown in the picture has it the worst, where the other primarily has a patch behind its dorsal fin and some on its tail. This has been ongoing and getting worse for about 5 weeks now. I was out of town for a little over a week, and when I came home noticed things had gotten even worse. I do admit that my tank had some rather dirty spots, especially in the back of the tank where they like to hang out. I have since removed all rocks/trees/objects to do perform a very rigorous cleaning hoping that helps with their recovery.

I have tried one methylene blue dip but didn't notice any positive changes from it. I had them in a hospital tank for 3 days dosed with Kanaplex, but I began getting worried as they started fading in color and becoming much more pale so I removed them and put them back into my main tank. This was my first attempt at a hospital tank (I had a heater and a sponge filter) so I was a bit nervous and unsure of how to keep them healthy in it.

Their behavior hasn't changed all that much overall and they still eat no problem. I was initially concerned it was columnaris, but they have vastly outsurvived it's quick "cycle" from what I've been reading. I then thought it might be saprolegnia, but I was reading that the methylene blue should have taken care of this (and turned it blue as a result) so now I'm not sure how to help these guys.

IMG_5294.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have two bronze corys that recently developed these white patches all over. The one shown in the picture has it the worst, where the other primarily has a patch behind its dorsal fin and some on its tail. This has been ongoing and getting worse for about 5 weeks now. I was out of town for a little over a week, and when I came home noticed things had gotten even worse. I do admit that my tank had some rather dirty spots, especially in the back of the tank where they like to hang out. I have since removed all rocks/trees/objects to do perform a very rigorous cleaning hoping that helps with their recovery.

I have tried one methylene blue dip but didn't notice any positive changes from it. I had them in a hospital tank for 3 days dosed with Kanaplex, but I began getting worried as they started fading in color and becoming much more pale so I removed them and put them back into my main tank. This was my first attempt at a hospital tank (I had a heater and a sponge filter) so I was a bit nervous and unsure of how to keep them healthy in it.

Their behavior hasn't changed all that much overall and they still eat no problem. I was initially concerned it was columnaris, but they have vastly outsurvived it's quick "cycle" from what I've been reading. I then thought it might be saprolegnia, but I was reading that the methylene blue should have taken care of this (and turned it blue as a result) so now I'm not sure how to help these guys.

View attachment 3107822
Corydora cats are susceptible to fungus and bacteria. Treat with maracyn 2 and add 1 teaspoon of epsom salt per 10 gallons.

OP
OP
S

spabo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corydora cats are susceptible to fungus and bacteria. Treat with maracyn 2 and add 1 teaspoon of epsom salt per 10 gallons.
Thank you for the response-- is the Kanaplex not as efficient as Maracyn 2?

Also, any reason why they were fading in color in a 6 gal hospital tank? It was in a rather dark place, but I took them out after 3 days because the fading color had me worried.

EDIT: Did a little more research on Maracyn 2 and was able to answer my own question. I'll give it a shot. Thank you again.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you for the response-- is the Kanaplex not as efficient as Maracyn 2?

Also, any reason why they were fading in color in a 6 gal hospital tank? It was in a rather dark place, but I took them out after 3 days because the fading color had me worried.

EDIT: Did a little more research on Maracyn 2 and was able to answer my own question. I'll give it a shot. Thank you again.
You can use kanaplex. As this is a freshwater cat- I went with typical FW remedies with Maracyn 2 being best and cost effective

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would opt for sea salt rather than Epsom salts - less toxic due to the calcium in it.
Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion
Back