Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that my Coral Beauty was lethargic this morning and didn't move to the brine shrimp I fed the tank inmates with.
It was sort of lazy and looked slow with a good number of rubbing itself on rocks, then I noticed a whitish patch near its right gill area. It doesn't look like spots, more of a general patch of white.
I've taken it out of the tank for now but would like to identify the problem so I can medicate effectively.
Here's the image

Corals.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more background information we have, the more accurate/specific the diagnosis will be.
Water quality, fish history and a short video all help a lot. This post explains all that:

This could be flukes, but I can’t say for certain.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Also please repost oic under white lighting for clearer I.D.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Lynnzer

Lynnzer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video clip I just took. It shows firstly a typical flick against the sand bottom, then goes onto a side view of the infected gill area. The tank is a spare I use to drop my new hatched brine shrimp in to get them to grow. At5 least the fish has plenty to eat.
As for water, the salinity is at 29ppt, 7.85ph, ammonia, nitrite are both zero and nitrate is marginal. The tank gets around a 25% change weekly.
The tank it resides in is 120ltr with 7 other fish including mandarin, 2 baby clowns, chalk goby. The larger fish, though still small anyway, are a tomini tang and lemonpeel angelfish.
The tank has been established for a good six months. The lemonpeel does like to impose itself on the other fish and chases them from time to time. It also eats the dang coral so I've taken the frags out and placed them in another tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lynnzer

Lynnzer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the fish out and took a close up photo. These sure look like parasites to me. I believe there's a couple of flukes species, one that gets on the gills and the other in the skin. These are around the edge of the gill but seem to be on the skin.

1685358602018.png

1685358690730.png
1685358690730.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the fish could well have flukes, it looks extremely emaciated. Sorry, but once a fish gets that thin, there really isn’t that can be done for it as it has digested its internal organs for energy.
If you want to treat your tank as a preventative for flukes, you could use praziquantel.
Jay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Lynnzer

Lynnzer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went for some of the praziquantel at my LFS before the response, however the manager told me that a quicker way to rid a fish of flukes and other parasites is a freshwater dip. I held him to his word and have done just that. He says he does the same thing to every new batch of fish he gets in as lots of angels and tangs seem to be infested.
Anyway the dip completed a few minutes ago. He's back in the isolation tank for now as if he needs lots of nutrition there's all the baby brine shrimp and copepods swimming there. I really hope he's not beyond recovery but time will tell. I'll lift him out tomorrow and do another close up photo to see if there's any parasites still clinging on.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went for some of the praziquantel at my LFS before the response, however the manager told me that a quicker way to rid a fish of flukes and other parasites is a freshwater dip. I held him to his word and have done just that. He says he does the same thing to every new batch of fish he gets in as lots of angels and tangs seem to be infested.
Anyway the dip completed a few minutes ago. He's back in the isolation tank for now as if he needs lots of nutrition there's all the baby brine shrimp and copepods swimming there. I really hope he's not beyond recovery but time will tell. I'll lift him out tomorrow and do another close up photo to see if there's any parasites still clinging on.

FW dips work well as a diagnostic tool and to buy some time with severe flukes infestations, but they won’t break the life cycle of the flukes, so they typically return. The dip doesn’t kill 100% of the flukes and doesn’t kill the eggs at all.
Still, if the fish turns around, you can run a double course of prazi later on.
Jay

OP
OP
Lynnzer

Lynnzer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't survive the night sadly. The stress with moving from tank to tank and the shock of a FW dip probably added to his likely demise.
So, the tank ..... what action should I take to cleanse it with the other fish still in place?
I already removed the corals due to them being chewed on.

BRS

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Do the other fish show any symptoms?

You could go ahead and treat the tank for flukes anyway.

Jay

OP
OP
Lynnzer

Lynnzer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Do the other fish show any symptoms?

You could go ahead and treat the tank for flukes anyway.

Jay
No sign of the spread of flukes at present. No rock flicking, no apparent lack of appetite or anything so I guess, fingers crossed, that it was confined to a single fish.
A 120ltr tank with so few fish might just escape a new spread.
I'll keep a close eye on things then at the slightest suspicion will do a period of control. The one thing that may be working in my favour is that I have an external canister filter with UV running 24/7

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sign of the spread of flukes at present. No rock flicking, no apparent lack of appetite or anything so I guess, fingers crossed, that it was confined to a single fish.
A 120ltr tank with so few fish might just escape a new spread.
I'll keep a close eye on things then at the slightest suspicion will do a period of control. The one thing that may be working in my favour is that I have an external canister filter with UV running 24/7
Just a side note - UV sterilizers offer no benefit against flukes. The flukes are on the fish, so never get exposed, and the eggs and larva are too trsilient to be killed by UV.
Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquarium Specialty
Back