ID help!

Vitor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this little guy on the glass. Anyone can help? Friend or foe?

IMG_5222.jpeg IMG_5220.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nudibranch that eats cnidarians of some kind - any chance you've been having issues with a specific kind of coral lately? SPS and softies are the typical prey.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Just noticed this little guy on the glass. Anyone can help? Friend or foe?

IMG_5222.jpeg IMG_5220.jpeg
Non berghia and I would eliminate. Most will feed on coral tissue and algaes.
There is a special tank for them below:

1726584152404.png

OP
OP
V

Vitor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nudibranch that eats cnidarians of some kind - any chance you've been having issues with a specific kind of coral lately? SPS and softies are the typical prey.
Man I have wondered why so many Zoas heads are closed a lot of the time. Could that be it? Sinularia also shrinks but I think that is normal as it always comes back stronger and is growing.
Tank is relatively recent. Is this one of those things that if you have one you likely have many?
Thanks!

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I have wondered why so many Zoas heads are closed a lot of the time. Could that be it? Sinularia also shrinks but I think that is normal as it always comes back stronger and is growing.
Tank is relatively recent. Is this one of those things that if you have one you likely have many?
Thanks!
If its the zoa eating type yes they breed pretty prolifically.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I have wondered why so many Zoas heads are closed a lot of the time. Could that be it?
Is this one of those things that if you have one you likely have many?
Yes, and yes - the typical recommendation is dip the corals to get the adults off, then search for egg spirals on the corals and scrape off any you find (be sure to use personal protective equipment like gloves, chem goggles, and a well-ventilated area when doing this with zoas/palys).
my best guess would be Aeolidiopsis/Baeolidia harrietae (there's some dispute around what genus the critter should fall into).

Either way, if my guess is correct, it's a known zoanthid eater, and it takes the zooxanthellae from its prey and stores it for use in its own body.
My guess would be Baeolidia palythoae or Baeolidia harrietae - they eat zoantharians like palys.

OP
OP
V

Vitor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just found 3 more adults. So yup, we have a situation here. Unfortunately I don't have access to dips that are useful with pests I'm afraid. Only for bacteria and fungus it seems, like Seachem Reef Dip.
Would a freshwater dip help?

OP
OP
V

Vitor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and yes - the typical recommendation is dip the corals to get the adults off, then search for egg spirals on the corals and scrape off any you find (be sure to use personal protective equipment like gloves, chem goggles, and a well-ventilated area when doing this with zoas/palys).
Went to dip and noticed these as well. Any ideia?

Attachments

• IMG_5225.mov
    23.9 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a freshwater dip help?
I'm not sure what the best dip would be in this case - I've heard of using hydrogen peroxide dips before, but I don't know how safe/effective it would be.

In theory, you could just use a turkey baster or similar and remove any adults you see, but you'd want to be careful looking for them, as they can blend in pretty well.

And, yeah, those looked like amphipods.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back