Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP1.jpg

ICP2.jpg

ICP3.jpg

ICP4.jpg

This tank has been up for about 1 year and 1 month. i use a filter basket with a filter pad. The tank looks healthy and nothing I can tell that's hindering growth. nothing dying.
I wanted to do an ICP test to see what I can be doing better and what deficiencies I might have to fix them. i do water changes at 5 gallons once a week with tropic marine salt.

The results are posted above.

I understand the test gives me results and a way to solve that specific answer. What I am having trouble with is how that problem is occurring and how to fix it.

Question #1 Chlorine, Sodium. it says a water change is needed but what could be the potential source of this and do i need to test my RO/DI water? or is it a salt mix issue? or is my water stripped of elements from my RO/DI machine?

Question #2 the contaminant cadmium is at .001. i have been researching this and i am going to look for a potential source of metal. i had an issue with my Nero 3 pump a while back. ill also check my jaeger heater even tho it's in glass. but I'm not sure where this could be coming from. maybe the sicce pump? does anyone have any knowledge on this contaminant and is the level at which it was detected going to harm my tank?

Question #3 potassium and all trace elements are listed in the test results. i am going to try to dose tropic marin for this. and the question is if tropic marin all for the reef is the correct answer for the needed trace elements. as far as

Question #4 selenium I'm not sure how to fix that does anyone have input

Question #5 with the ratios listed above. how do i fix that?

As far as phosphate. i am putting in a refugium to pull down the phosphate.

Thanks, and happy Halloween!!

World Wide Corals
Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ICP company is this? I'm not a fan of their recommendations, such as raising sodium by water change.

OP
OP
Sidsreef

Sidsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ICP company is this? I'm not a fan of their recommendations, such as raising sodium by water change.
Thank you randy for the reply. The company is Reef-Labs. so being that a water change shouldn't be the answer for it what then should I do for sodium? and or chloride? Potassium I can dose that if it's low. i plan on dosing all for reef and refugium for the phosphate and that should solve most of the issue's here. the question is then should I raise up salinity just a tad and do more frequent water changes? or should I dose something to mitigate the sodium/chloride

I'm gonna take this process slow and do one fix at a time and then ICP test between.

and is there an ICP test that you recommend?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you randy for the reply. The company is Reef-Labs. so being that a water change shouldn't be the answer for it what then should I do for sodium? and or chloride? Potassium I can dose that if it's low. i plan on dosing all for reef and refugium for the phosphate and that should solve most of the issue's here. the question is then should I raise up salinity just a tad and do more frequent water changes? or should I dose something to mitigate the sodium/chloride

I'm gonna take this process slow and do one fix at a time and then ICP test between.

and is there an ICP test that you recommend?

Low salinity is the problem with all three. Just replace evaporation with seawater until you get to 35 ppt, sg = 1.0264.

Assuming the reported 32 ppt is correct, then all three will rise by 9.4%, to 19,450 ppm for chloride (perfect), 410 ppm for potassium (perfect), 9878 for sodium (tad low but fine).

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back