Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat... i bought some ocean live rock and was so worried about hitch hikers... Got from KP aquatics and their curing instructions say to submerge in 1.035 to 1.040 salinity for a few minutes to have hitch hikers evacuate. I've done that a few times and had all kinds of crazy worms and such bail out... now they're sitting in a tub curing. But i'm starting to worry i may have gone too far and killed everything off since i haven't seen anything alive on the rocks for a while and ammonia is still pretty decent. Hopefully the microorganisms on the rock are still good... haven't put them in the tank yet... it's definitely been a battle for a while...
Maybe I will try it and just do a quick bath in 1.035 to get the initial ones off and if any make it they make it I guess.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The areas I've concentrated on are clear and a film algae seems to be in its place. I'm currently looking for a Conch locally to help the sand bed a bit. At this point this may be all I need... Observing
@TokenReefer I have 2 conchs going which I am wondering if they are eating my diatoms too quickly so the dinos can come back.

Top Shelf Aquatics

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TokenReefer I have 2 conchs going which I am wondering if they are eating my diatoms too quickly so the dinos can come back.
Suppose that's possible but I wouldn't take any action like get rid of one personally; maybe just let things run thier course for a bit, as long as things aren't getting worse

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wonder if I'm just being too picky. My sand looks natural like an ocean bottom; not bone white like we often see in "show tanks" but not overrun with anything... :thinking-face:
I agree mine just has a few little patches but overall looks nice and natural

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
A Reef Creation
Back