I think I have disease… are these white spots ich??

BRS

GJMAN

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed my Tailspot blenny flashing last night after the lights were off and inspected everyone this morning. My clown
3F974FEE-4D13-4623-80AA-6FC774A484C0.jpeg

The only other fish are a shrimp goby, who is showing no symptoms, and the Tailspot blenny, who has no visible white spots but is still periodically flashing. The clown is not flashing at all, and everyone is eating normally.
Can someone please help me identify if this is ich or velvet, and a course of action? This is my first time dealing with any disease in my tank. 5FB5DCB5-8E17-4289-9662-A3BC892A2FF2.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help me identify if this is ich or velvet, and a course of action?
It's not velvet. It could be ich, but I usually see more spots on the fins first. If you can make note (well, you took pictures already) of where the spots are and compare them to where spots are in a couple days, you could diagnose ich or not. Ich spots will be in a different place. Ich can be treated with either hyposalinity or copper in a tank without inverts in it. Tank Transfer Method works well, but only on ich, and it takes some work.

I wonder about skin flukes too. That would be treated with Prazi, and you can do that in a display.

BRS
OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those videos don’t work I’ll post one later from my computer, but the clown’s breathing seems okay to me. If anything the blenny might be breathing a bit fast, but I could also be making that up.

So, would immediate treatment with prazipro make sense in case it is flukes?

Avast
OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17197A2E-AE65-4821-93D1-DEDAAE538235.jpeg

EEF446AB-404E-4974-B41C-431631108F5B.jpeg

Here are some more photos (he really doesn’t like to sit still haha).

Not sure if it’s relevant to diagnosis but I think I was able to Turkey baster that big white speck on his right side from the first pictures I shared off of him.

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - with each photo and video, I change my presumptive diagnosis - that all look that different!

In the end, if the fish is eating well, and based on the flashing noted in the blenny, I’d say this could be flukes. Prazipro is safe to use for that.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Im thinking flukes or secondary bacterial lesions associated with brook but flukes look like the most probable.
A 5 minute freshwater dip same temperature as display tank would offer temporary relief for both.

OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - with each photo and video, I change my presumptive diagnosis - that all look that different!

In the end, if the fish is eating well, and based on the flashing noted in the blenny, I’d say this could be flukes. Prazipro is safe to use for that.

Jay
Right? He looks different with every photo angle!

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the help.

I’m going to buy some prazipro this afternoon, and I’ll keep you guys updated. As for a freshwater dip last time I had to catch the blenny was not easy, but I can definitely do that for the clown.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I’m going to buy some prazipro this afternoon, and I’ll keep you guys updated. As for a freshwater dip last time I had to catch the blenny was not easy, but I can definitely do that for the clown.
The Prazi bottle can be confusing as to treatment:
To be safe , dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Remember, only one species of fluke will show in a dip unless you use a microscope.
For Prazipro, add good aeration, keep any skimmers running, but don’t collect the skimmate, remove any carbon filtration. Dose once, then 8 days later, change 25% of the water and dose a second time.
Jay

AquaCave Logo Banner

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, not running a skimmer at all is fine with prazi? I don’t use one, but I do have one I could set up temporarily.
Just make sure you have plenty of surface agitation, aeration, flow. Skimmers are great aerators, but that can be accomplished other ways

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, not running a skimmer at all is fine with prazi? I don’t use one, but I do have one I could set up temporarily.
No, just offer good aeration. I add that into my adivce because there was a number of people saying "turn your skimmer off" during prazi treatments (because prazi is actually a fine suspension, and skimmers can pull it out). Trouble is, prazi also reduces the dissolved oxygen a bit. Skimmers are great ways to oxygenate the water, and people were losing fish when they followed that advice and turned their skimmers off. Som - if you have a skimmer already, run it without the collection cup. If you don't have a skimmer, just add an airstone to the tank.

Jay

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
G

GJMAN

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone familiar with Polyp Lab Reef Safe Medic? I believe it’s a peroxide salt. My LFS owner doesn’t carry prazi, but thinks this is a better option for medicating a DT anyways.

DF7F5151-314D-4101-8FA3-D8631AFFA71B.jpeg

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaNerd
Back