Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any avoidance of that work is simply tradeoff invasions cyano/ dinos/gha forever. Use fluc after it's ripped clean, not before, for the win

AS
Top Shelf Aquatics

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way to fix that other than surgically. Any number of dosers can kill all that algae, then dying cells sink into the bed on top of waste waste already compacted

Consider not putting sand back in this tank once it's fixed too. Going bare bottom can help ease future work.

The tank can be fixed in one ten hour work day. Do it this Saturday :)

Get brute trash can from home depot, prepare all new water heated and ready. Use no old water

Last edited:

scott11106

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you have heard all of the options and some tough love, roll up your sleeves (literally) and get to scrubbing. it will be awesome when you get done and post pics along the way. By the way, you and your parents will have more appreciation of the tank when you create a beautiful and healthy balanced environment for your pets. Remember to keep up the maintenance after or you will be back in no time to start again.

Good luck and let us know as you go

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Thor2j

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im running a skimmer (reef octo). My phosphates are reading 0
I promise you your phosphates aren't really zero. You wouldn't have an algae problem if they were. Your phosphates are being used by all the algae and that's why they read zero.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im running a skimmer (reef octo). My phosphates are reading 0
you're getting a zero reading because all the algae are consuming up the phosphate
I promise you your phosphates aren't really zero. You wouldn't have an algae problem if they were. Your phosphates are being used by all the algae and that's why they read zero.
I agree with Thor2j

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a great idea. Richard Ross, upcoming macna speaker, should fix this tank live time using no form of rip cleaning

@Thales

I honestly would like to see his way. Our way uses too much water and work to get the fixes. Richard I'll never forget the merciless pounding given recently in the chemistry forum when discussing uselessness of personal anecdote for reef work

time to work live time, on call, on demand. Fair request. If someone pinged me in a reef job I'd be happy to get a chance at outbound work. I would never be offended or post sharply at all in a work thread, they're the best jobs in the board, I love them, we don't get enough of them.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

Thales

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a great idea. Richard Ross, upcoming macna speaker, should fix this tank live time using no form of rip cleaning

@Thales

I honestly would like to see his way. Our way uses too much water and work to get the fixes. Richard I'll never forget the merciless pounding given recently in the chemistry forum when discussing uselessness of personal anecdote for reef work

time to work live time, on call, on demand. Fair request. If someone pinged me in a reef job I'd be happy to get a chance at outbound work. I would never be offended or post sharply at all in a work thread, they're the best jobs in the board, I love them, we don't get enough of them.
Sir - you continually make up positions I don't hold then try to take me to task for them. Any conversation in which I have tried to engage you to clear things up ends up with you making up more positions I don't hold, and then scolding me for those positions that are not mine. Please stop - we agree more than we disagree.
Again, anecdote is incredibly useful, I wrote an entire article on the power of anecdote.

Last edited:

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha

thats friendly when contrasted to assertions from Randy's thread, I would have appreciated that mode very much on that day.

can you fix this tank/ we would appreciate the work log example to have diverse options.

rip cleaning isn't very work efficient for large tanks, but then again getting true export from them without manual deep cleaning is also very tricky...

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

Thales

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha

thats friendly when contrasted to assertions from Randy's thread, I would have appreciated that mode very much on that day.
That is almost always my mode when I post here

Here is a link to the first of two responses to you in that thead - I don't see anything agro in it, but it seemed to make you upset and you took me to task for a bunch of stuff I didn't understand, so I stopped responding.

can you fix this tank/ we would appreciate the work log example to have diverse options.
My recommendations are available in easily findable other media. Again, my positions don't really disagree in concept with yours, and I (and others) have been recommending much of what you advocate for 30 or 40 years. Mostly I disagree with some conclusions you make, and the dogmatic nature of your recommendations.

rip cleaning isn't very work efficient for large tanks, but then again getting true export from them without manual deep cleaning is also very tricky...

As I said above, much of what you recommend has been recommended for decades.

Have a great day.

Last edited:

Thales

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can we get the tank fix tho

or any comparative example

nice edits on that post link above.
From past interactions with you, you seem to be often be waiting to pounce with a gotcha, so I am going to respectfully decline. Again, my ideas are easily available. Have a great day.

AquaCave Logo Banner

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that the most difficult part of this thread is to provide a clear path, step by step instructions to the highschool distracted reefer who needs to perform a cleanup to remove algae on a time and money budget. The OP has been receptive to solutions, added blackout paper and posted pictures, while step by step specifics are light (or hidden in another thread or video) and conflicting as per recommendations.

I am thinking that folks have agreed perhaps:
Step 1: Remove sand, fresh water rinse it repeatedly until no detritus remains and rinse water is clear. Leave the sand in a bucket (in a closet, or garage, any place it can sit and not irritate the home owners)
Step 2: Remove one rock each day and rinse like the sand, and once it is clean of algae replace it. The use of hydrogen peroxide (3% OTC bottle) poured upon algae roots, and then rinsed clean is also a suggestion, option for this step.
Repeat step 2 until all rocks have been through step 2.
Step 3: Drain/ clean the sump until it looks new.
Step 4: Clean skimmer like the sump.

These are the general plan, more or less. It can be completed by next week if the OP focuses time, maybe 2 or 3 weeks depending upon how many rocks are present.

The goby will miss the sand, a tupperware container placed in a corner with sand may improve that fishes happiness but it will confound achievment of results, slightly and require additional steps to remove spilled sand issues.

Unmentioned step. Raising Magnesium (epsom salts) to fight Bryopsis & algae growth? This could be implemented after the major clean if Bryopsis returns with a vengance.

Did I miss anything?

Edit: of course.
Wipe down the glass each day to see what you are working with, and hopefully see improvements along the way.
(Post pictures for our enjoyment too!
Also, no one has asked about the feeding situation in the tank. Without knowing that I would suggest reducing food rates to 1/2 the past rate. Algae loves food and fish can survive better with really light portions vs over fed pollution pits.
We are rooting for the Op’s success! Rah To it!

Last edited:

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said Kris

@Thales I've worked out my beef/ no more pounces all set

we should squash it and work some jobs/ benefit all

- the rip clean examples provided are one day's work, fastest fix option so the parents see that shining tank they want

In my opinion the parents and reefer can study the example set and we could guide it here for sure

Fixed by Sunday

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

hsosa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get rid of the rock that is on the far left that rock is way full of algae . I would just replace the rock with a new Marco rock or rock for ur lfs. the algae rock just leave it In the bucket till the algae dies off and then throw It in ur sump. Get rid of that algae on the sand. u need to add a few algae eating fish. I like the lawnmower Blennie.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Coral Frenzy
Back