Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first jawbreaker was a failure and it melted completely. I am obsessed with mushrooms and have successfully kept WWC OG bounce, CB circus bounce, I have a dragon lady bounce and several other healthy mushrooms. Jawbreaker have eluded me and I can't stand it.
Peramaters;
Nitrate: 5-10ppm (API test kit)
Phosphate: .07 (hanna checker)
Magnesium: 1480 (hanna checker)
Calcium: 540 (hanna checker)
Alk: 12 dkh (hanna checker)
Salinity: 1.025 (refractometer)

Can't really think of any other perams to document. I have heard that they don't care for high flow but my flow doesn't even push the sand around in my tank. It's a 20 gallon AIO. I haven't had this mushroom very long and it's going down hill fast. It was sold to me as an OG poletti and I will seriously cry if I lose it! The frag piece it was on was cut in half by the seller and after placing it in my tank, a piece of the frag plug started to fall off and the mushrooms foot was pulled on quite badly. Can't see any visible tears. I ended up purchasing this mushrooms baby incase I lost this one but the baby it's doing good either!

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO SAVE IT BEFORE IT GETS AS BAD AS MY FIRST! THANK YOU FOR ANY RESPONSES I DO GET

I've attached photos of the progression of its decline. I received it on April 21st and the photos with its mouth open is from today, May 13th. I'm seriously at a lose, I'll do anything. It's not my most expensive coral but by God it's one of my most prized. ♥️

Screenshot_20230513_165328_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230513_165459_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230513_165530_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230513_165559_Photos.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is pretty high. It likely is shocked and trying to adjust from its original alk enviornment.

Jawbreakers are some of the hardiest mushroom corals but if it was cut in half, that could cause some lifespan and health issues since these mushrooms dont naturally clone but rather reproduce from pedal lasceration.

OP
OP
A

ab-774819

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is pretty high. It likely is shocked and trying to adjust from its original alk enviornment.

Jawbreakers are some of the hardiest mushroom corals but if it was cut in half, that could cause some lifespan and health issues since these mushrooms dont naturally clone but rather reproduce from pedal lasceration.
Thanks for the input! I've been using redsea coral pro salt and it mixes pretty high, at around 11.. would doing a water change with instant ocean, that has lower values, help lower the alk?

Nutramar Foods

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! I've been using redsea coral pro salt and it mixes pretty high, at around 11.. would doing a water change with instant ocean, that has lower values, help lower the alk?
Yes start using a salt with lower alk values.
I would switch to red sea blue bucket.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back