Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently on my 40g breeder, one of the lights went out. I'm waiting on a replacement light. While I wait I was going to move my coral, still all really small and on their plugs. I have a 10g that would work to hold the coral while I clean the main 40g tank of Algae.

My question is will my fish be ok without any light for a few days to a week? I have 3 chromis, 2 clowns, 1 firefish, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 diamond back goby, 1 halloween hermit crab, 1 emerald crab, 1 banded shrimp, a lot of blue-legged hermits, and assorted snails

Nutramar Foods

CrazyDuck959

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently on my 40g breeder, one of the lights went out. I'm waiting on a replacement light. While I wait I was going to move my coral, still all really small and on their plugs. I have a 10g that would work to hold the coral while I clean the main 40g tank of Algae.

My question is will my fish be ok without any light for a few days to a week? I have 3 chromis, 2 clowns, 1 firefish, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 diamond back goby, 1 halloween hermit crab, 1 emerald crab, 1 banded shrimp, a lot of blue-legged hermits, and assorted snails
I don’t think that not having light for your fish would do anything to them other then mess up their sleep routine. But past that they should be fine. Just make sure they can see the food when you feed them. But yeah definitely move those corals. Make sure your parameters are stable in the fish tanks while doing the coral switch. So I would test daily while you do it. And good luck with cleaning it. Keep us updated!

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that not having light for your fish would do anything to them other then mess up their sleep routine. But past that they should be fine. Just make sure they can see the food when you feed them. But yeah definitely move those corals. Make sure your parameters are stable in the fish tanks while doing the coral switch. So I would test daily while you do it. And good luck with cleaning it. Keep us updated!
I was thinking on using real sea water for the 10g. My local fish store sells them. I used one to start this tank. I think that water would do fine for a week

Top Shelf Aquatics

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take that long these jobs were all same day and no other method works as well for nanos

Unnecessary fish stress plus you're having to cycle up a cramped holding tank in the current plan

Days of no light can't beat this method below, in a 40 it's a six hour job. You can click on each poster to see their one year updates

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing algae without a correct sandbed cleaning just brings algae back in a few weeks. It's like an oil change without changing the filter

Last edited:
OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing algae without a correct sandbed cleaning just brings algae back in a few weeks. It's like an oil change without changing the filter
ok 1 my nitrates and phosphates are 0
2 I have algaecide
3 are you trying to sell me something?
4 are you wanting my coral for free is that what this is about?

Why are you trying to go out of your way to make me look stupid?

Top Shelf Aquatics

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what an odd response

you simply have a link to read of tanks being fixed, better than the way you planned, less harm, better sustain. try reading first/jumps to conclusions. if you are determined to use a way that you can't track out in other people's tanks, as a sort of experiment with no prior tracking, that's ok to do in your system. I provided a link that I run myself showing nanos fixed, it's as simple as that.

not any form of negativity can be derived from simply reading the link and seeing people's outcomes.

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

here's fifty more pages of the same thing. notice how differently the tank owners received the advice/thankful vs angry

we used nothing for cost

that's a procedure you follow to stop owning an algae challenge tank. nothing is for cost. if you don't select this method, recommend is to select one that comes from an alternate thread where you can see how other people's reefs fare in the matter.

results on file are what you base your takeaway on, nothing else.

CrazyDuck959

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take that long these jobs were all same day and no other method works as well for nanos

Unnecessary fish stress plus you're having to cycle up a cramped holding tank in the current plan

Days of no light can't beat this method below, in a 40 it's a six hour job. You can click on each poster to see their one year updates
Yeah it should not take that long to clean algae out, it took me about 2 hours on my nano to clean algae out when I first started my tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to let him work with the links provided, or not, and not assist further. he can research plenty of alternate methods as well.

I build those giant threads by posting links in algae help request threads and people copy the method because the outcomes are so aligned

there's no hidden trick at all. nanos are best for this system because it requires disassembly cleaning, that's not practical for large tanks.

when people remove algae via blackouts or dosers/chems/they're leaving massive stores of waste in the sandbed and rocks. those links are a helpful prediction about the benefits of cleaning the tank correctly vs a half job. most people want the half job, but per the links, some don't.

posting a link to three hundred tanks getting fixed of algae in an algae help thread request, his second within two weeks, is never offensive if the big picture is considered.

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have green hair and slime algae. I didn't know coral could since the space they are in.
I'm going to let him work with the links provided, or not, and not assist further. he can research plenty of alternate methods as well.

I build those giant threads by posting links in algae help request threads and people copy the method because the outcomes are so aligned

there's no hidden trick at all. nanos are best for this system because it requires disassembly cleaning, that's not practical for large tanks.

when people remove algae via blackouts or dosers/chems/they're leaving massive stores of waste in the sandbed and rocks. those links are a helpful prediction about the benefits of cleaning the tank correctly vs a half job. most people want the half job, but per the links, some don't.
that wasn't even your thread

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

posting a link to three hundred tanks getting fixed of algae in an algae help thread is never offensive if the big picture is considered.
from what I can tell you spam people's posts with your rip clean. Lay off the drugs man. I'm not taking a knife to my live rock or taking my coral out for that long. It is an unnecessary stress on the coral as they dry out.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

posting a link to three hundred tanks getting fixed of algae in an algae help thread request, his second within two weeks, is never offensive if the big picture is considered.
I have other threads people tell me to kill the lights. That is all they say is cut back on photo periods and let the algae starve.

CrazyDuck959

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t exactly understand what’s being talked about here, but to finish answering the initial question I think your fish would be fine without light. But if you’re planning to clean out algae. You have to do a good amount of work. No tank is perfect. I don’t know what algae you have so I can’t help you there. But cleaning algae out of a tank should not take more than a few hours. Good luck. I don’t know what argument was happening but hope this helps.

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t exactly understand what’s being talked about here, but to finish answering the initial question I think your fish would be fine without light. But if you’re planning to clean out algae. You have to do a good amount of work. No tank is perfect. I don’t know what algae you have so I can’t help you there. But cleaning algae out of a tank should not take more than a few hours. Good luck. I don’t know what argument was happening but hope this helps.
thank you very much. I will have a small light on for the fish just to be sure. I have a little 5w light that would work for the fish while I allow the algae to naturally starve of light. I will also add a little algaecide to the 40g just to be on the safe side.

BTW I'm killing the light because the first thing I did was try phosphate and nitrate removal. Now I am to 0 so I am letting it build back. Plus I only have 1 light working so I have to move the coral anyway.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

CrazyDuck959

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you very much. I will have a small light on for the fish just to be sure. I have a little 5w light that would work for the fish while I allow the algae to naturally starve of light. I will also add a little algaecide to the 40g just to be on the safe side.

BTW I'm killing the light because the first thing I did was try phosphate and nitrate removal. Now I am to 0 so I am letting it build back. Plus I only have 1 light working so I have to move the coral anyway.
I wouldn’t add algaecide, and even if you starve it of light it will still come back. I’m guessing your tank is relatively new. So just make sure you do water changes regularly and it should go away on its own. That’s how it went for my nano.

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Torch SALE
Back