Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without an ICP there’s no way of knowing exactly what might be an issue and I suspect why prior to it some couldn’t keep corals. Trying to fix an unknown might cause other issues to pop up.

When in doubt. RODI and constant WC in a small system should keep everything stabilized.
What do you mean?
We know he has high alkalinity, we know he has low nutrients, which together we know that's a bad combination.
His lights are subpar at best and he is using tap water.
So if he can fix all these issues and do some water changes I think his tank would turn around.
I don't believe in ICP test is in order here. Perhaps if he was a seasoned reefer and was still having problems yes, do an ICP.
Or maybe if he fixes all these problems and 6 months down the road he still having problems, do an ICP. I just don't think it's warranted right now.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
C

Chevyyeet

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be incredibly honest I have no clue which direction to go. I basically have one more try at this before my girl kills me for how much I’ve spent (and as a result died) so I guess I’m gonna try getting a light and working with my LFS to get RODI water because I can’t afford both a new light and RODI system.

BRS

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be incredibly honest I have no clue which direction to go. I basically have one more try at this before my girl kills me for how much I’ve spent (and as a result died) so I guess I’m gonna try getting a light and working with my LFS to get RODI water because I can’t afford both a new light and RODI system.
Look on buy and sell sites and possibly can find a used rodi system .
I paid less than $100 for mine used years ago .
Replace the cartridges ( cheap ) and your water will be as good as it can be .
Don’t fall into the money trap of buying water from lfs . 9/10 times they say it’s rodi but no guarantee it has zero tds and you will be paying through the nose for free water .
Lights : same thing . I found a old construction worker throwing out a t5ho fixture with 8 bulbs .
I had to change 1 of the ballasts ( coat $70)

new bulbs though …. Range to about $25-$35 each

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to say thank you for everyone taking time to add their knowledge to this thread.
You’re very welcome . That’s what we’re here for .
Reach out when you decide which direction your going , or for further advice .

Biologic

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP, lot of great advice in this one thread, but absolutely pick one mentor that has a very successful tank. Ideally they should be a local near you. Follow everything they tell you to a T. You will have success. Don't do anything without their permission. You can find a trusted successful LFS with great show tanks, which they can sell you pre-made water and you should have success.

Or, you can follow BulkReefsupply's 5 minute guide or 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube, which will put you on the right track. There is a lot of play in their advice because of their appeal to a wide audience who all have different opinions, but the advice they give is very good. If you copy 100% of what they did, you will have success.

DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOUR GOALS. However, you will have to GIVE UP what has been UNSUCCESSFUL -- your methodology and the equipment you've been using, will be on the chopping block. So some tough choices will have to be made if you want to reach your goal. ITS WORTH IT IN THE END! DON'T GIVE UP!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
C

Chevyyeet

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP, lot of great advice in this one thread, but absolutely pick one mentor that has a very successful tank. Ideally they should be a local near you. Follow everything they tell you to a T. You will have success. Don't do anything without their permission. You can find a trusted successful LFS with great show tanks, which they can sell you pre-made water and you should have success.

Or, you can follow BulkReefsupply's 5 minute guide or 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube, which will put you on the right track. There is a lot of play in their advice because of their appeal to a wide audience who all have different opinions, but the advice they give is very good. If you copy 100% of what they did, you will have success.

DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOUR GOALS. However, you will have to GIVE UP what has been UNSUCCESSFUL -- your methodology and the equipment you've been using, will be on the chopping block. So some tough choices will have to be made if you want to reach your goal. ITS WORTH IT IN THE END! DON'T GIVE UP!
Thank you very much for that. It’s not the getting rid of old equipment that hurts it’s the getting new stuff that is difficult. I’m currently in flight school and so I have been really struggling to have enough time to research the proper things to do for this tank. I love the tank and want to see it thrive but time and money make it hard.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for that. It’s not the getting rid of old equipment that hurts it’s the getting new stuff that is difficult. I’m currently in flight school and so I have been really struggling to have enough time to research the proper things to do for this tank. I love the tank and want to see it thrive but time and money make it hard.
Flight school doesn’t allow extra money or time .
As a aircraft maintenance engineer I started my pilot license about 1 year ago .
The idea behind the pilot license is more of a hobby and not career for me

OP
OP
C

Chevyyeet

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a aircraft maintenance engineer I started my pilot license about 1 year ago .
I’m about to finish so hopefully I’ll have some extra money to go around before long but until then it’s just trying to get through

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
C

Chevyyeet

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in school for 2 and a half years getting it so it’s really drained my funds

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had a very nice Radeon but like I said earlier I had an accident and it broke. Unfortunately circumstances don’t allow for me to afford a new one

Not sure if this has been said but you don't need a radion.

Smatfarm 95w: $130
Nicecrew 100w: $150

both can be found on amazon, amazon has free returns in many areas if you don't like it.

Both are more powerful and cheaper then the prime.

This is coming from someone who ownes radions and primes. You don't need them, don't bother if budget is an issue. Sometimes I wish I didn't bother.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

Biologic

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

totally understand. Buy used equipment. You dont need the brand new top tier big name lights and filtration. There's always a way. Plus, you can sell the lights that you dont want anymore. Just dont expect more than 50 cents on the dollar for selling your used equipment. Just be willing to part with it when you are ready to do so.

@Tamberav suggested some very affordable lights that are brand new, and will do about as good as any other brand new $800 light. Also look into LED bars like Orphek or QuantaReef. You can buy a single bar new for ~$150 for a 24" long light and add more as your needs grow. It will beat the crap out of that light for the same price you have now. But honestly I don't think lighting is your issue. It's water quality, likely not using an RO/DI is an issue. So probably for now, get your water at your LFS and that will improve your circumstances dramatically.

Come here and lurk, read, and ask us questions. Get a mentor locally. We are here to help.

Moronta12

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing for almost a year and after countless kinds of coral I can’t seem to get anything to live. I have had SPS, LPS, softies and everything in between. Nothing I do seems to work. I religiously check my parameters and have them as close as I can to the optimal parameters of whatever I was trying to grow. I have 4 fish and non of them are picking or causing issues, I don’t see any pests. So at this point I think I’m just gonna have to settle for fish only.

may tank is a 29g with a hang on the back filter unfortunately but I change the cartridge often so that I don’t have a bunch of nitrate growing in it.

I have an app that I input all my test info into so that it gives me a graph over a certain period of time.
My parameters are:
Nitrate: 5ppm
Phosphate: 0ppm
Calcium: 380-400 ppm(for softies)
Mag: 1400
Ammonia: 0
Ph: 8.1
Alkalinity: 11-12DKH

if y’all have any suggestions feel free. I honestly am just thinking about selling the tank because it makes me a little sad to think about all the time effort and money I have lost.
Please, do an ICP test before you take any decision. I'm pretty sure you will find what is going on with a full Laboratory Test.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
C

Chevyyeet

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally understand. Buy used equipment. You dont need the brand new top tier big name lights and filtration. There's always a way. Plus, you can sell the lights that you dont want anymore. Just dont expect more than 50 cents on the dollar for selling your used equipment. Just be willing to part with it when you are ready to do so.

@Tamberav suggested some very affordable lights that are brand new, and will do about as good as any other brand new $800 light. Also look into LED bars like Orphek or QuantaReef. You can buy a single bar new for ~$150 for a 24" long light and add more as your needs grow. It will beat the crap out of that light for the same price you have now. But honestly I don't think lighting is your issue. It's water quality, likely not using an RO/DI is an issue. So probably for now, get your water at your LFS and that will improve your circumstances dramatically.

Come here and lurk, read, and ask us questions. Get a mentor locally. We are here to help.
So I have a 10 gallon tank from when I had an axolotl, I had heard from Reef Therapy (I had only listened to 10 episodes when I heard about Jake) that I could turn it into a sump. How do I do that? Is it possible with a 10 gallon?

OP
OP
C

Chevyyeet

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell y’all how thankful I am that this community is so helpful and full of knowledgeable people. A member of this community had an AI prime and skimmer sent to me. I can’t express how thankful I am. I will keep y’all updated on progress as I put forth every ounce of effort to make sure this tank is as successful as it can be. Again thank you, all of you, for taking time to help my tiny and seemingly meaningless tank compared to y’all’s huge and amazing builds.

AquaCave Logo Banner

FSP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a sump, but it's annoying to set one up on a running tank not to mention the extra cost.

For a tank that size on a budget, I'd rather just change a Home Depot bucket's worth of water twice or so a month once you get your source water worked out and call it good.

OP
OP
C

Chevyyeet

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a sump, but it's annoying to set one up on a running tank not to mention the extra cost.

For a tank that size on a budget, I'd rather just change a Home Depot bucket's worth of water twice or so a month once you get your source water worked out and call it good.
Okay good to know!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Coral-vault.com
Back