I could use advice from a pro reefer, my system is bleaching.

BRS

salt creap

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im so stressed, some of my pets ive grown from small frags are about to die and desperately need advice.

current situation
mixed reef 75 reef , no carbon dose just garlic extreme , idodine and 10% water change weekly guy i feed two times a day mysis shrimp and phyto once a week , have two 4” wrasse , two small damsel, 1 grama, 3 peppermint, two nasarious ,
ample turbos and blue leg hermit
salinity:1.024
ca: 490
alk:8.5
mag:1350
ph7.7
na:10
phos:0.01
im not proud of my actions but this is what i did …had been battling dino and cyano relatively new tank year and a half old , which because of it all the four anthias had developed velvet partially from the water funk and attempted to treat with metro&focus treated the tank and then food but they all died - so then first attacked dino with blackout high na/phos and peroxide ,manual removal then went after cyano and cut down on feeding, wet skim , high ph, and everything looked great no cyano no dino coral growing fast, obtained red planaria used flatworm exit , didn’t work totally, water change carbon, next week did again more intense and that did it , no water change , no ill effects, 5 days later i noticed my stylo polyps were not extending and one sps after another not acting right something off, started testing na less than 10 phosphate 0.12 dosed neo nitro brought up to 13 and ran phosguard and activated carbon tested and zeroed out phos -ugg, dosed neophos and brought to .01 and at the same time my water had a over night cold spurt down to 74 then heated to 80 in the morning (mor stress:( i fed some raw oyster that wer chopped up in saltwater preserve for the first time and the fish loved and the coral was getting a lot of it and all this happed in two weeks time.. nexted noticed the peppermint going to town “eating/picking coral like its food , now have the light off as it seemd to make polyps retract more and caught two of the three peppermints and figure moving rock and getting peppermints out is first step not freeing up more phos hopefully naturally.

thanks in advance ! if anyone has input as my reef melts il take all advice to heart

C516105C-03C1-414F-8EEA-B8E570B1C2BD.jpeg 97863BD2-F080-441A-A866-227C098FF031.jpeg 539FAADC-E3FC-4C48-9D95-23E3EA2AB1BE.jpeg B7829085-359F-44AE-B634-DEB5BEC0DE91.jpeg

World Wide Corals
Nutramar Foods

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im so stressed, some of my pets ive grown from small frags are about to die and desperately need advice.

current situation
mixed reef 75 reef , no carbon dose just garlic extreme , idodine and 10% water change weekly guy i feed two times a day mysis shrimp and phyto once a week , have two 4” wrasse , two small damsel, 1 grama, 3 peppermint, two nasarious ,
ample turbos and blue leg hermit
salinity:1.024
ca: 490
alk:8.5
mag:1350
ph7.7
na:10
phos:0.01
im not proud of my actions but this is what i did …had been battling dino and cyano relatively new tank year and a half old , which because of it all the four anthias had developed velvet partially from the water funk and attempted to treat with metro&focus treated the tank and then food but they all died - so then first attacked dino with blackout high na/phos and peroxide ,manual removal then went after cyano and cut down on feeding, wet skim , high ph, and everything looked great no cyano no dino coral growing fast, obtained red planaria used flatworm exit , didn’t work totally, water change carbon, next week did again more intense and that did it , no water change , no ill effects, 5 days later i noticed my stylo polyps were not extending and one sps after another not acting right something off, started testing na less than 10 phosphate 0.12 dosed neo nitro brought up to 13 and ran phosguard and activated carbon tested and zeroed out phos -ugg, dosed neophos and brought to .01 and at the same time my water had a over night cold spurt down to 74 then heated to 80 in the morning (mor stress:( i fed some raw oyster that wer chopped up in saltwater preserve for the first time and the fish loved and the coral was getting a lot of it and all this happed in two weeks time.. nexted noticed the peppermint going to town “eating/picking coral like its food , now have the light off as it seemd to make polyps retract more and caught two of the three peppermints and figure moving rock and getting peppermints out is first step not freeing up more phos hopefully naturally.

thanks in advance ! if anyone has input as my reef melts il take all advice to heart

View attachment 2951835 View attachment 2951836 View attachment 2951838 View attachment 2951839
By means no expert when it comes to SPS. It sounds like over correction in both directions making an imbalanced tank much worse. Stability is key.

Corals.com
OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please list All you corals. Sorted by sps, lps, and soft. Just to make it a little easier. Thanks
definitely, acros, stylo,pavonia,digi,beast monty, birdnest,lepto, cyphastria, frogspawn, octospwan,torch city, duncans, acan lords, many expensive zoa including grimreaper, utterchaos,princes lea oompaloompa lalakers ect and maxima clam

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely, acros, stylo,pavonia,digi,beast monty, birdnest,lepto, cyphastria, frogspawn, octospwan,torch city, duncans, acan lords, many expensive zoa including grimreaper, utterchaos,princes lea oompaloompa lalakers ect and maxima clam
Ok. Sounds like a really expensive hostage situation.
What are your goal parameters?
And what equipment are you running. I.E skimmer, uv, reactors, ect

OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Sounds like a really expensive hostage situation.
What are your goal parameters?
And what equipment are you running. I.E skimmer, uv, reactors, ect
update - caught all the peppermint shrimp which i feel was step one-but had to move stuff a bit

i feel like i tried investing stocks and am loosing.i would like my calcium to precipitate a bit to 440sh not totally crucial, but phos .03, na 15 seemed to work for my reef before,
equipment: two kessel 360tunas and radion 15blue, 4hrs 80% full spectrum, 3 hours 30% i run reef octopus 100 skimmer, beefy jebao return, mp40&jebao equivalent, another smaller jeboa pump under rock in display and koralli in sump which i have 200 micron sock filtration i change everyday, i spray off the bleach solution rinse in prime water, shake dry, and then sun dry, i have a cheepy uv bulb i hang in my over flow which i worry may over sterilize sometimes,, and about 100 lb liverock and shallow 2” sandbed in 1/2 the tank, i do have a doser which i essentially manually use for calcium and mag, i dose baking soda for alk manually by measuring into a mixing bowl and dissolving in tank water and dump into overflow nightly

Nutramar Foods

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just tested phos after moving rock phos now crazy high .5 & na 10, going to retest and prepare small phosguard dose in overflow sock
Before you dose against your phosphate, what's your alk at? Personally, I run a high alk high nutrient system. 11.5 alk with po4 1.5-2.0 ppm and 35-45ppm nitrate

Thor2j

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell one thing for sure, stop using so many chemicals to chase things. Figure out why your phosphates were high. Feed less, increase skimmer, algae scrubber if you have one. Figure out if calcium number is legit. If you aren't over dosing then something's wrong with test.

Figure out where you want to be and try to make small changes, then wait... And wait some more.

My guess is zero stability is stressing everything.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Morpheosz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those pics with the lights out? It's hard to tell what's going on. The areas that look lighter look to be on the under side where they wouldn't get light - all my corals have a noticeably bleached looking underside when the lights are out. Do you have any pics of the bleaching you are concerned about with the lights on?

OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those pics with the lights out? It's hard to tell what's going on. The areas that look lighter look to be on the under side where they wouldn't get light - all my corals have a noticeably bleached looking underside when the lights are out. Do you have any pics of the bleaching you are concerned about with the lights on?
lights are out (i was hunting peppermints, and two of my acros walt and orange passion bleached and octo spawn and frog spawn are mad with white alsmot polyp bail looking scenario

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
salt creap

salt creap

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a little low. Same with ph. Id aim for at least 8.0 ph 9.0-9.3 alk
iv been struggling with ph- i run two airlines outside to skimmer and open windows but cant seem to quite get 8 -its frustrating, and might switch to this pickling lime

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 6
Top Shelf Aquatics

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv been struggling with ph- i run two airlines outside to skimmer and open windows but cant seem to quite get 8 -its frustrating, and might switch to this pickling lime
Raising your alk with baking soda or another a b supplement should also buffer your ph to where you want it

Thor2j

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a little low. Same with ph. Id aim for at least 8.0 ph 9.0-9.3 alk
Sorry, but this is terrible misinformation. 9-9.3 alk is considered actually a little high. Nothing wrong with it as long as you have calcium slightly elevated and have good flow. 8.4 is even mildly high compared to see water. 8.4 is perfect don't mess with it.

As for your pH, nothing wrong with 8.0 either. Will growth be slower, sure, but not unhealthy at all.

Bottome line is none of these parameters are causing your bleaching. Instability,maybe. Get a par meter , check that. Your tank may not be nature enough for one reason or another. I promise you chasing all these numbers isn't going to fix a thing. Something else is going on.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back