I can peg my pH at 8.3 but it costs $2/ day. Is this worth it?

Which option?

• $0 per day, pH of 7.8 to 8.0 is just fine

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • $1 per day, pH of 8.0 to 8.2

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • $2 per day, just peg pH @ 8.3 you cheapskate!

Votes: 16 23.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
fryman

fryman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t it be cheaper to get an exchanger at that point? $700 plus per year over five years might pay for it and all occupants in the home would benefit from it. Although not sure if that still gets PH to 8.3.
My house is wierd and the room is a converted garage (3walls partially underground). It would be a difficult and expensive install I think but maybe some kind of exhaust fan like someone suggested is warranted.

Get an hrv and keep the air breathing mammals healthier too.
Several comments about this have me thinking. I'm gonna buy a CO2 meter to see how bad the CO2 levels are down there.

Last edited:

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house is wierd and the room is a converted garage (3walls partially underground). It would be a difficult and expensive install I think but maybe some kind of exhaust fan like someone suggested is warranted.

Several comments about this have me thinking. I'm gonna buy a CO2 meter to see how bad the CO2 levels are down there.
Buying a meter what I’m doing as well. First identify exactly what the problem is before throwing money away and the. Chasing other solutions.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this one being a professional mechanic and knowing the difference between quality tools and garbage knock offs I decided to buy a quality CO2 meter because of how important knowing the proper reading was and how much I have invested into my tank I decided this was better than buying a cheap $50 or $70 one. In the end I wish I could’ve borrowed someone else’s because 250 is a lot but I am very confident when I use it that my readings are accurate. Also with the fact that any Coral I by cost $250 at least this was a no brainer. I have since then brought this mirror to all of my friends and families houses to test theirs as well with confidence of accurate numbers.This is what I bought

SPS2020

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought this one being a professional mechanic and knowing the difference between quality tools and garbage knock offs I decided to buy a quality CO2 meter because of how important knowing the proper reading was and how much I have invested into my tank I decided this was better than buying a cheap $50 or $70 one. In the end I wish I could’ve borrowed someone else’s because 250 is a lot but I am very confident when I use it that my readings are accurate. Also with the fact that any Coral I by cost $250 at least this was a no brainer. I have since then brought this mirror to all of my friends and families houses to test theirs as well with confidence of accurate numbers.This is what I bought
Thank you!

I.AM.MR.MIKE

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 3d printed a cap with a hose attachment for my Essence 130 skimmer in order to recirculate. I should have done this long ago. I also added a float switch to my skimmer cap to shut off the skimmer when full via breakout box for Apex.

When I added the cap my PH was around 7.95 - 8 and I was about to change media again. I was getting about two weeks a change. I added the recirculating cap without changing media. My PH went to 8.2+ to 8.5 with the old media and now a month later still on the old media it is still around 8.2 max.

The inside of my scrubber is very damp while recirculating.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 3d printed a cap with a hose attachment for my Essence 130 skimmer in order to recirculate. I should have done this long ago. I also added a float switch to my skimmer cap to shut off the skimmer when full via breakout box for Apex.

When I added the cap my PH was around 7.95 - 8 and I was about to change media again. I was getting about two weeks a change. I added the recirculating cap without changing media. My PH went to 8.2+ to 8.5 with the old media and now a month later still on the old media it is still around 8.2 max.

I am thinking if a person had a vessel to hold maybe a cup of water then drew the intake air for the scrubber from that vessel the media may get damper and work better and last longer.

J1a

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can/should add a Y-splitter and a valve to make a by-pass for recirculaion. This can allow you to adjust the amount of scrubbing, and give you the option to compensate for the media aging.

For example, if the media is fresh, you can always open the bypass valve a little bit more. The skimmer will draw in some fresh unscrubbed air, preventing the pH from going too high. On the other hand, when the media starts to exhaust, just slowly close down the valve to maintain pH.

If you are even more adventurous, rigging in a solenoid valve controlled by a pH meter/computer can let you keep the pH exactly where you want it. However, I don't think it's worth the cost and effort.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a pH lower than I wanted, I did a CO2 test to see the difference between house and outside. It was significantly different for me. So, I ran a line to outside to my skimmer. My pH stays nicely between about 8 and 8.3 give or take a bit.
Very little cost. I have had it this way for almost 14 years. No issues. (just make sure the outside line has a bit of a cover (mesh), and clean when needed.

Been Caught Reefin

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a pH lower than I wanted, I did a CO2 test to see the difference between house and outside. It was significantly different for me. So, I ran a line to outside to my skimmer. My pH stays nicely between about 8 and 8.3 give or take a bit.
Very little cost. I have had it this way for almost 14 years. No issues. (just make sure the outside line has a bit of a cover (mesh), and clean when needed.
Curious about if you see temp fluctuations with this? Been thinking of doing this, but my main temp probe is in the first sump compartment with the skimmer. Wondering if the temp readings will be off because of the temp of the outside air in the same first compartment.

Squidmotron

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've asked this a few times, but is there real hard evidence that 8.3 pH benefits coral?

I've seen some anecdotal stuff but that's it.

I ask for myself too just because I am in the same boat as the original poster.

OP
OP
fryman

fryman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTw-which CO2 media are you using? I am now hunting for a cheaper brand than BRS. Two little fishes I find to be quite expensive but unclear if it is worth it..
Jorvet soda lime, 5 gal bucket for about $120

Sometimes this brand is available on amazon.

I tried 2 little fishies as well and it seemed to have better CO2 absorption (higher peak pH when using the skimmer method) but the media exhausted faster. This is not great since that brand is especially expensive. But could have been just the one lot I bought, or some other factor. Humidity definately makes a difference.

I also tried the BRS media which seemed about the same as Jorvet.

OP
OP
fryman

fryman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've asked this a few times, but is there real hard evidence that 8.3 pH benefits coral?

There is ample evidence that higher pH causes stony coral to grow faster. BRS did an experiment but it's also been established conclusively by academics. Just do a literature search if you are still skeptical.

On the other hand faster growth is not always desireable, and I'm not so sure about other theorized benefits such as better color or more healthy/stronger skeleton.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a variety of CO2 scrubbing setups and had some success, but the cost of media is giving me pause.

Short story is: right now my tank pH is pretty low. Basically 7.8 - 8.0 if I just left it as-is (no CO2 scrubber). It was much better in summer and fall so I think this is because the house is buttoned up for winter and CO2 is relatively high in the room with my display.

Option 1: I hooked up a CO2 scrubber to my skimmer, and pH increased to 8.0 - 8.2. This option costs me about $1 per day in soda lime media. See trend below:
View attachment 2542330

Option #2: I built a super-charged CO2 scrubber using an industrial air pump and two air diffusers. I was able to peg pH at 8.3 all the time, but it costs me about $2 per day in media. See trend below:
View attachment 2542331

Is this worth the extra money? I know higher pH is better but how much better and does it matter so much at night?

Let me know other suggestions, such as maybe dialing back the setpoint to 8.2 at night?

Another consideration is that I have the skimmer pulling air from outside, in order to aid in oxygenation (probably not a problem for me, but just in case).. I could go with a full recirculating setup for either option, which saves a bit of media but at the loss of any (potential) oxygenation benefit.

Thanks for the input and happy reefing!
focus on results not numbers

Faulkner’s maze

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jorvet soda lime, 5 gal bucket for about $120

Sometimes this brand is available on amazon.

I tried 2 little fishies as well and it seemed to have better CO2 absorption (higher peak pH when using the skimmer method) but the media exhausted faster. This is not great since that brand is especially expensive. But could have been just the one lot I bought, or some other factor. Humidity definately makes a difference.

I also tried the BRS media which seemed about the same as Jorvet.
I was looking at jorvet as well. Cheaper to buy NOT on Amazon. Good to know about two little fishes as well.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are numerous reasons why it makes sense that a higher PH would lead to faster growth. There have also been at least several expirements that "prove" this to be the case. Whether you believe those results used rigorous enough scientific method to make it "real hard evidence" is up to you. Personally I am convinced that higher PH does lead to faster growth.

Whether you consider faster growth a "benefit" is also probably personal preference. If you are a coral farmer I am sure it is a benefit. If you are like most of us home hobbyists that may or may not be your goal.

Squidmotron

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is ample evidence that higher pH causes stony coral to grow faster. BRS did an experiment.

Thank you for this. I was able to locate the experiment. For who are interested, those corals in the study group grew 7% faster than the control.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you for this. I was able to locate the experiment. For who are interested, those corals in the study group grew 7% faster than the control.

Just to clarify in their study the high PH tank grew 32% faster.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back