Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all well I find myself in the sh**hole again i put coral in that should’ve been qt’d yes I know extremely dumb. Anyways I reallly don’t wanna lose the fish I have and it would be hard to catch them. I have only a few snails and a few frags so I’m wondering if just taking them out putting in a separate tank and hypoing my DT would be the least stressful on fish or if I should just qt and copper the fish please help

edit : I test salinity with Hanna’s handheld checker not sure if this is able to read hypo or not

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello all well I find myself in the sh**hole again i put coral in that should’ve been qt’d yes I know extremely dumb. Anyways I reallly don’t wanna lose the fish I have and it would be hard to catch them. I have only a few snails and a few frags so I’m wondering if just taking them out putting in a separate tank and hypoing my DT would be the least stressful on fish or if I should just qt and copper the fish please help

edit : I test salinity with Hanna’s handheld checker not sure if this is able to read hypo or not
Hanna tester will go to 1.000
You did not mention if you have or have noticed disease. Hypo is generally for ich.
Do you have ich or just concerned the snails and coral may present disease?
Need more info and even pics.
Best is to place fish in separate treatment tank but hyposalinity can be performed without coral and inverts. It’s safer to not do this in display to assure any parasites have died off without a host fish

Jason_MrFrags

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hypo is probably the better option if you ever want to have corals in that tank. Or best option would be to catch fish and treat and allow tank to go fallow.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna tester will go to 1.000
You did not mention if you have or have noticed disease. Hypo is generally for ich.
Do you have ich or just concerned the snails and coral may present disease?
Need more info and even pics.
Best is to place fish in separate treatment tank but hyposalinity can be performed without coral and inverts. It’s safer to not do this in display to assure any parasites have died off without a host fish
Sorry just flustered it is forsure ich can see it quite easily on the blue hippo I have I just have read that hypo is less stressful on the fish rather than trying to catch them and copper in qt.

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hypo is probably the better option if you ever want to have corals in that tank. Or best option would be to catch fish and treat and allow tank to go fallow.
I just want to not lose the fish to be quite honest. I don’t know how I’m going to catch them they’re quick and very healthy other than the ich . So I just read somewhere hypo is less stressful than catching and copper in a qt

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sorry just flustered it is forsure ich can see it quite easily on the blue hippo I have I just have read that hypo is less stressful on the fish rather than trying to catch them and copper in qt.
Coppersafe most effective but hypo is an alternative and often effective
You will Gradually bring salt level down and monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit and add aeration during the process

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more familiar with copper in a QT but I have lost many fish so I’m a little reluctant to do so. Granted I’ve never taken my fish out of DT and done it just new fish from crappy LFS

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe most effective but hypo is an alternative and often effective
You will Gradually bring salt level down and monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit and add aeration during the process
Would it just be better to catch them all and go fallow then? I am worried I have to split the fish into different qt tanks not sure how many I can fit in the 29 gallon qt I have

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be stressed all my hippo have white spots here and there once a month then disappear.

If it helps you , understand that you may QT and transfer them back to DT only to find a white spot the next morning. So as stressful as it is to take them out now , imagine doing it for nothing?

I’m not advising you not to quarantine but to consider that it is a possibility unless you have very strict guidelines to follow such as using seperate quarantine accessories (fish net, buckets etc) and ensuring your at therapeutic range of copper power for the full duration that it could be . I’d highly recommend the Hanna checker for Copper if you do not already have it.

Your display will need to be fallow for 72 days , if I’m not mistaken. Unless you plan on breaking down and sterilizing ?

On another note there are many threads on quarantine here. This is the god of forums. You will also find the conversations where many people have excellent husbandry and manage ich fine. I am one of them after losing fish myself and wiping out sps from a fallow tank. To each their own though I hope you make a great decision good luck

Corals.com
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be stressed all my hippo have white spots here and there once a month then disappear.

If it helps you , understand that you may QT and transfer them back to DT only to find a white spot the next morning. So as stressful as it is to take them out now , imagine doing it for nothing?

I’m not advising you not to quarantine but to consider that it is a possibility unless you have very strict guidelines to follow such as using seperate quarantine accessories (fish net, buckets etc) and ensuring your at therapeutic range of copper power for the full duration that it could be . I’d highly recommend the Hanna checker for Copper if you do not already have it.

Your display will need to be fallow for 72 days , if I’m not mistaken. Unless you plan on breaking down and sterilizing ?

On another note there are many threads on quarantine here. This is the god of forums. You will also find the conversations where many people have excellent husbandry and manage ich fine. I am one of them after losing fish myself and wiping out sps from a fallow tank. To each their own though I hope you make a great decision good luck
Thank you for this write up I’ve never managed it before so I’m not sure what exactly it consists of I do know blue hippos are always spotty which I wouldn’t be a tad worried if I didn’t see one spot or two on my emporer angel all fish are eating happily and super fat so I may watch for a few days to come up with some sort of plan I’ve got the Hanna copper checker and supplies to do it just am not looking forward to stressing the fish out catching them.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Would it just be better to catch them all and go fallow then? I am worried I have to split the fish into different qt tanks not sure how many I can fit in the 29 gallon qt I have
Different quarantine tanks are not difficult but inconvenient in some cases. What fish do you have in display tank?
Also fallow is not 72 days but 45-60 and this is where pics are helpful in determining best recourse. It can be ich, mucus cones , amyalloydium -

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different quarantine tanks are not difficult but inconvenient in some cases. What fish do you have in display tank?
Also fallow is not 72 days but 45-60 and this is where pics are helpful in determining best recourse. It can be ich, mucus cones , amyalloydium -
Fallow is 40 days now?

Last time I checked I was advised it was 40 days only if temperatures were above 82 degrees and if it drops below once then you restart over

The more info the better thanks either way

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will grab pics tomorrow I’ve got blue hippo, desjardini sailfin, purple tang and 2 clowns

threebuoys

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for pictures, especially if the only fish showing symptoms is the blue tang. The issue could easily be something other than ich and perhaps not serious enough to require treatment. If you see it on multiple fish, ich will be more likely.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this write up I’ve never managed it before so I’m not sure what exactly it consists of I do know blue hippos are always spotty which I wouldn’t be a tad worried if I didn’t see one spot or two on my emporer angel all fish are eating happily and super fat so I may watch for a few days to come up with some sort of plan I’ve got the Hanna copper checker and supplies to do it just am not looking forward to stressing the fish out catching them.
You need to differentiate between mucus plugs and actual ich trophonts. Blue tangs are prone to developing mucus plugs and those look bad but are not fatal. True ich on the other hand can take them out rather quickly. Blue tangs can also have mucus and ich at the same time.
Mucus plugs tend to be larger and stay in the same place. Ich spots come and go and show up in different locations and different numbers.
If I understand your plan, moving the inverts out and treating the whole tank in hyposalinity would probably be best if this is actually ich.
Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for pictures, especially if the only fish showing symptoms is the blue tang. The issue could easily be something other than ich and perhaps not serious enough to require treatment. If you see it on multiple fish, ich will be more likely.
You need to differentiate between mucus plugs and actual ich trophonts. Blue tangs are prone to developing mucus plugs and those look bad but are not fatal. True ich on the other hand can take them out rather quickly. Blue tangs can also have mucus and ich at the same time.
Mucus plugs tend to be larger and stay in the same place. Ich spots come and go and show up in different locations and different numbers.
If I understand your plan, moving the inverts out and treating the whole tank in hyposalinity would probably be best if this is actually ich.
Jay
Will reply with pictures when I get home in about a hour I’ve seen a dot here or there on other fish but nothing on the bodies mainly fins the emperor angel will do a white splotching thing from time to time mainly in the mornings which I think is just from changing color when sleeping to waking but I will get pictures.

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 @threebuoys
I apologize in advanced hippo is real hard to get a picture of. I added pics of the other fish to check out aswell. Hopefully the setting on the lighting helps.

Attachments

• 2554F5BE-20C7-45CC-89B6-BCF001907D30.jpeg
    2554F5BE-20C7-45CC-89B6-BCF001907D30.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 9
  • B1987D70-EDA9-458C-A68B-1903483E3B09.jpeg
    B1987D70-EDA9-458C-A68B-1903483E3B09.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 2376FB62-6539-4CBB-B61B-F40728FC4EFA.jpeg
    2376FB62-6539-4CBB-B61B-F40728FC4EFA.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 13AE73C1-34FC-4287-8320-A76AAECD9F9E.jpeg
    13AE73C1-34FC-4287-8320-A76AAECD9F9E.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 35943B5D-3866-4BC0-88FD-B7AEE5178EF7.jpeg
    35943B5D-3866-4BC0-88FD-B7AEE5178EF7.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 781B6B1D-7F2D-44EC-9298-2E51D1B93BCB.jpeg
    781B6B1D-7F2D-44EC-9298-2E51D1B93BCB.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 10
  • EEA5A391-1047-428F-92B9-97A933F8163A.jpeg
    EEA5A391-1047-428F-92B9-97A933F8163A.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 8
  • CA806642-503B-4FDB-A35A-E27C697559D9.jpeg
    CA806642-503B-4FDB-A35A-E27C697559D9.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 11

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 @threebuoys
I apologize in advanced hippo is real hard to get a picture of. I added pics of the other fish to check out aswell. Hopefully the setting on the lighting helps.
Its cryptocaryon which is marine ich and is also showing on the purple tang and angel.
You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0-2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its cryptocaryon which is marine ich and is also showing on the purple tang and angel.
You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0-2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
I’ve got everything for it I just don’t have a plan for catching every fish.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’ve got everything for it I just don’t have a plan for catching every fish.
Fish trap is the way to go. I just had to remove Harlequin tusk and it took me days as every tang in the tank except Naso kept going into trap.

trap3.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back