Hydros controller

Greg24/7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with the hydros line of controllers? Was looking at the x10 specifically. Mainly interested in getting the IV module as well. Looking for it to monitor PH salinity and alk.

Just curious to see if it can do what it says it can, or how difficult it is to set up.

Thanks!

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an X10 with an IV at home. I switched from a KH Carer doing alkalinity testing. I like the X10 more than the KH Carer and I like the Hydros ecosystem more than the neptune ecosystem. Though I still have neptune on another tank.

There is some involvement when setting up the Alkalinity testing but a huge selling point to me is that it is very easy to fine tune as an end user. I was considering a trident but I liked the idea of a titration based alkalinity test as I think it is far easier to service myself. I also find that the IV salinity readings are way better than the in tank I used with the apex in the past. I had constant problems with the apex salinity probe but the IV with the Hydros probe has been awesome.

My advice is to run the tank with hourly Alkalinity tests for 1-2 days even if the results are off. The dosing heads take a bit to break in. Once they have broken in calibrate all of the pump heads. Err on the side of telling the drain pump head that it is pumping less water than it really is. You really want the drain pump to completely empty the IV after each test so entering 52 ml when in reality the pump pumped 54 mls during calibration will fool the unit into running the drain pump a little bit longer making sure the IV is empty. Calibrate the fill pump and reagent pump as precisely as possible and if possible use a scale not beaker. Once everything is calibrated run an alkalinity test with the IV and with a test kit that you trust and then use the offset to match the IV to the trusted test kit. This should give you good consistent results. I mix 5000ml of reagent at a time and recalibrate whenever I refill the reagent because as careful as I am I know I get the reagent mix a little off each time. When I recalibrate I normally just change the offset. I have once completely disassembled and lubricated the pump heads and then I did a complete recalibration. You should really only need to do this once to twice per year.

OP
OP
G

Greg24/7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an X10 with an IV at home. I switched from a KH Carer doing alkalinity testing. I like the X10 more than the KH Carer and I like the Hydros ecosystem more than the neptune ecosystem. Though I still have neptune on another tank.

There is some involvement when setting up the Alkalinity testing but a huge selling point to me is that it is very easy to fine tune as an end user. I was considering a trident but I liked the idea of a titration based alkalinity test as I think it is far easier to service myself. I also find that the IV salinity readings are way better than the in tank I used with the apex in the past. I had constant problems with the apex salinity probe but the IV with the Hydros probe has been awesome.

My advice is to run the tank with hourly Alkalinity tests for 1-2 days even if the results are off. The dosing heads take a bit to break in. Once they have broken in calibrate all of the pump heads. Err on the side of telling the drain pump head that it is pumping less water than it really is. You really want the drain pump to completely empty the IV after each test so entering 52 ml when in reality the pump pumped 54 mls during calibration will fool the unit into running the drain pump a little bit longer making sure the IV is empty. Calibrate the fill pump and reagent pump as precisely as possible and if possible use a scale not beaker. Once everything is calibrated run an alkalinity test with the IV and with a test kit that you trust and then use the offset to match the IV to the trusted test kit. This should give you good consistent results. I mix 5000ml of reagent at a time and recalibrate whenever I refill the reagent because as careful as I am I know I get the reagent mix a little off each time. When I recalibrate I normally just change the offset. I have once completely disassembled and lubricated the pump heads and then I did a complete recalibration. You should really only need to do this once to twice per year.
That’s awesome! Thank you for the input

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my hydros. It was easy to set up and configure everything. I don't do anything too advanced though. I will be getting the x10 and maven here soon. They have the best support too. Follow them on facebook. lots of people will chime in to help.

OP
OP
G

Greg24/7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my hydros. It was easy to set up and configure everything. I don't do anything too advanced though. I will be getting the x10 and maven here soon. They have the best support too. Follow them on facebook. lots of people will chime in to help.
The maven is really what has my interest peaked. So I figured I’d go ahead and jump in now and be ready for when it comes out.

boogie79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I like it (Launch, WEV2 and Kraken (was lucky enough to catch the BRS "giveaway")). I'm waiting for the Maven. Debating on getting an X10 or cheaper compatible dosers. I'm not at that stage yet, so there's time. The setup was pretty easy.

Will say, make sure to have strong wifi signal. I've been up and running about a month now with no signal issues, but I've seen complaints from others. The coralvue FB and forum page helps alot.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Hydros controllers since they first came out. I currently have 15 in a collective. seven are at the tank and the rest are in the garage with the RODI and mixing station.My ATO and AWC pumps are also in the garage. The tank is 35ft away from the garage and the tubing cable are run through PVC conduit that runs up through that attic and down a wall. I have a lot of information about my Hydros setup in my build thread here on R2R. You can click on the My Tank Thread Banner on one of my post to get to it. The Hydros information starts on page # 6 post #119. It is scattered in with the rest of the post from that point on. When I changed things I would post about it. I would also make post about new features and how I used them as things progressed. I have it controlling the normal things and my RODI unit and the three reservoirs at my mixing station along with ATO and AWC. I have 2 of the X10's one was a Christmas present which I gladly put to use. Let me know if you have questions. The X10 and iV are near the end of the thread if you are mainly interested in it. The X4 was my first Hydros controller and it is in the garage where I first put it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back