Hurricane Milton evacuation - What to do ?!

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m the Orlando area and about to get hit by Milton pretty roughly.

I live in a manufactured home so I will evacuate about 20-30min away somewhere safer.

I typically loose power on a rough thunderstorm so I fully expect to have no power for at least 1-2 days best case scenario

My tank is 55g with
- 2 clown
- 1 hippo tang
- 1 zoa frag
- 2 monti frag
- about 10 snails / hermits

The tang is about an inch and the clowns not much bigger.

I have a battery powered bubler

I have an 1800w generator and will most likely run the fridge on it at my safe place.

I have a 7 or 8 gallon nano I was thinking of potentially moving everything in except maybe the snails/hermits. And bring with me to keep on the generator.

Any ideas/recommendations?

I’m not sure when it will be safe to drive back to my home to check on the tank and my main worry is that the bubblers battery run out after 8-10h and I’m not able to go change them soon enough and everything dies..

I was thinking of throwing some live rock on bare bottom nano tank and I have some cycled sponges and keeps corals and fish in.

Small nano heater and a small pump shouldn’t pull too much watts. Maybe I keep the air stone for the snails at home. Or would they be ok and I should instead bring the air stone with me just in case while the hurricane is here and the power is off. That seems like a better idea now that I typed it.

Will the corals be ok? Should I bring one of my lights? Planning on bringing them anyway in case the house blows up.

apeshot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others will likely have more experience in this area and have good advice. With that stock list, don’t worry about lights, everything on that list can go a week without light (there will still be ambient light). The issue in the first 48 hours is always oxygen (water surface agitation and flow) and temp. Temp looks like it’ll be 66-88 for the next seven days. I’d focus on trying to get some flow with bubbler or a battery powered powerhead.

wjm6449

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I live in a manufactured home so I will evacuate about 20-30min away somewhere safer.

I typically loose power on a rough thunderstorm so I fully expect to have no power for at least 1-2 days best case scenario

My tank is 55g with
- 2 clown
- 1 hippo tang
- 1 zoa frag
- 2 monti frag

I have an 1800w generator and will most likely run the fridge on it at my safe place.

I have a 7 or 8 gallon nano I was thinking of potentially moving everything in except maybe the snails/hermits. And bring with me to keep on the generator.

I’m not sure when it will be safe to drive back to my home to check on the tank and my main worry is that the bubblers battery run out after 8-10h and I’m not able to go change them soon enough and everything dies..

I was thinking of throwing some live rock on bare bottom nano tank and I have some cycled sponges and keeps corals and fish in.

Small nano heater and a small pump shouldn’t pull too much watts. Maybe I keep the air stone for the snails at home. Or would they be ok and I should instead bring the air stone with me just in case while the hurricane is here and the power is off. That seems like a better idea now that I typed it.

Will the corals be ok? Should I bring one of my lights? Planning on bringing them anyway in case the house blows up.
It’s the worst case senario at this point. If you do backup you’re on time constraints. If you can. Get 5-10 gallon buckets get the fish and what you can and transport it somewhere that you can operate air bubblers and a heater. You’re fish are going to either a. Die due to this storm hgutting Florida or b. Be uncomfortable, maybe lose a fish or two in the bucket until you’re home

Ultimately though this looks like the real deal, storm of the century do not stay home. Always prioritize your safety over your pets as hard as it is.

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Others will likely have more experience in this area and have good advice. With that stock list, don’t worry about lights, everything on that list can go a week without light (there will still be ambient light). The issue in the first 48 hours is always oxygen (water surface agitation and flow) and temp. Temp looks like it’ll be 66-88 for the next seven days. I’d focus on trying to get some flow with bubbler or a battery powered powerhead.
I just have the bubbler, I think putting all my stock in a nano and taking with me and doing bubbler till I can start generator might be my best best

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have the bubbler, I think putting all my stock in a nano and taking with me and doing bubbler till I can start

apeshot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have the bubbler, I think putting all my stock in a nano and taking with me and doing bubbler till I can start
I think that’s a great idea. Don’t forget the food, take care of yourself also. Keep us posted. Thermometer and bubbler in a bucket can go a long ways.

wjm6449

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have the bubbler, I think putting all my stock in a nano and taking with me and doing bubbler till I can start generator might be my best best
Yes. I would, and I would try to go northernmost Florida at this point. Helen was 8 feet tides. Milton they’re saying 20 god forsaken feet. Bail out, be smart.

marcsupial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are battery powered bubblers that use two D batteries and run for about 3 days in my experience. Might be an option at a sporting good supply store in the fishing section

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the worst case senario at this point. If you do backup you’re on time constraints. If you can. Get 5-10 gallon buckets get the fish and what you can and transport it somewhere that you can operate air bubblers and a heater. You’re fish are going to either a. Die due to this storm hgutting Florida or b. Be uncomfortable, maybe lose a fish or two in the bucket until you’re home

Ultimately though this looks like the real deal, storm of the century do not stay home. Always prioritize your safety over your pets as hard as it is.
I pray we don’t get too much damage and that they all survive.. if I can run the battery for a while and then go on generator I should be able to get heater and flow on sooner enough.. my nano is 7g so I was thinking of using that. Maybe putting them in tupperwares for transportation
There are battery powered bubblers that use two D batteries and run for about 3 days in my experience. Might be an option at a sporting good supply store in the fishing section

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

My tank is 55g with
- 2 clown
- 1 hippo tang
- 1 zoa frag
- 2 monti frag

Generator rental

Battery operated air pumps (walmart has them)

Start up icepacks or by Bags of ice to keep your food and tank cool. one thing you can do is to obtain zip lock bags. You can buy a 30 pack for under $5. Place them in the sump, and use a size that will fit fine and the idea is to rotate them. fill about 5 of them with water and place in freezer. Place one frozen one in sump, allow to melt and lower temp. When it melts, pull a new frozen one from freezer and place melted one back in freezer

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_6612.png
    IMG_6612.png
    283.9 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generator rental

Battery operated air pumps

Start up icepacks or by Bags of ice to keep your food and tank cool. one thing you can do is to obtain zip lock bags. You can buy a 30 pack for under $5. Place them in the sump, and use a size that will fit fine and the idea is to rotate them. fill about 5 of them with water and place in freezer. Place one frozen one in sump, allow to melt and lower temp. When it melts, pull a new frozen one from freezer and place melted one back in freezer
I like this idea! I have a small gen for fridge and tank but didn’t think about cooling much. My plan was to freeze water bottles and put in there if needed to float

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I like this idea! I have a small gen for fridge and tank but didn’t think about cooling much. My plan was to freeze water bottles and put in there if needed to float
Bottles work well also

marcsupial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble box I use this one on a 5 gallon bait bucket when I go camping and can vouch that it will last for at least 48 hours on a fresh set of D cells

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyway to daisy chain battery powered air bubbler so that once the batteries die in the first one it triggers the second one to turn on?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is 55g with
- 2 clown
- 1 hippo tang
- 1 zoa frag
- 2 monti frag

Take it with you along with a heavy duty tote, you can use a tote as a tank, a larger or taller tote and you can fill it halfway to prevent jumpers and just because the tote will bow a bit so not filling to the top is safer.

i would probably take some of the rock, whatever has your fav or $$ corals.

Then just add flow and a makeshift tank whenever you stay. They don't have to have light for awhile.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back