Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I have two gorilla crabs that are currently in my sump and refugium. Unfortunately I need that space for other "problem" critters that I would rather have than these crabs (Dexter the serial killing hermit crab in particular). But I'm a big softie and I want to deal with them humanely. Any advice?

Avast

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find someone with a puffer or triggerfish tank, freeze it in the freezer, or relegate it to it's own system (make it like a nuisance critter themed tank or something :) )

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freezing seems slow and painful though, what about a pot of boiling water?
puts them to sleep :)
better include some butter and old bay in the pot :D

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're in the wrong hobby if "Humane" is a paramount interest of yours lol.

I categorically disagree. There's nothing about reef aquarium keeping that's inherently inhumane. Animals can actually live much longer in captivity than they can in the wild due to improved care and lack of predation. Sure, people can intentionally or unintentionally do things that are not conducive to animal health, but that's a separate issue. On a whole, I believe that reefers see their fish and corals as their pets and treat them as a member of their family. If you do your best to provide a reasonable facsimile of the animal's natural habitat, I wouldn't call that inhumane at all.

McMullen

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chipmunkofdoom2, I'm on the fence here. There is nothing natural about keeping animals in a glass box.
I used to love going to the zoo, but as an adult it honestly seems sad to me. Sure, lots of arguments about education, awareness, ect, but the animals inside the box........they often are shells. I think if you were to look at the hobby as a whole, not the minority whom take great strides to provide as close to natural home as possible, you'll see mostly sub par and sometimes inhumane husbandry.

Oh and I vote hammer. A forceful hammer impact should be quick and virtually painless.

World Wide Corals

Gil03

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I categorically disagree. There's nothing about reef aquarium keeping that's inherently inhumane. Animals can actually live much longer in captivity than they can in the wild due to improved care and lack of predation. Sure, people can intentionally or unintentionally do things that are not conducive to animal health, but that's a separate issue. On a whole, I believe that reefers see their fish and corals as their pets and treat them as a member of their family. If you do your best to provide a reasonable facsimile of the animal's natural habitat, I wouldn't call that inhumane at all.

The intent to keep our inhabitants in the best environment possible for their health is not in question however the reality says different...like someone else stated there's nothing natural about swooping up fish/corals from the ocean to be put in a petri dish IMO. At the end of the day coral/fish/inverts dying in a glass box for whatever reason will never be natural imo.

As far as the crab goes I'm sure some lfs would take it in.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chipmunkofdoom2, I'm on the fence here. There is nothing natural about keeping animals in a glass box.
I used to love going to the zoo, but as an adult it honestly seems sad to me. Sure, lots of arguments about education, awareness, ect, but the animals inside the box........they often are shells. I think if you were to look at the hobby as a whole, not the minority whom take great strides to provide as close to natural home as possible, you'll see mostly sub par and sometimes inhumane husbandry.

Oh and I vote hammer. A forceful hammer impact should be quick and virtually painless.

The trouble with this logic is that it allows for some very dangerous mental math. If it's inhumane to keep fish in a glass box, why then do we need to provide tangs with lots of swimming space? Keeping them at all is inhumane right? How then is keeping three tangs in a 240g more humane than keeping three tangs in a 29g? They're both inhumane.. by your logic, the 240g is just a bit less inhumane than the 29g.

It's also important to note that marine ornamental fish are not humans or primates. To understand that they are in a glass box and not in the ocean (to be sad or "shells" as you put it), they would have to have self-awareness. Self-awareness is a psychological characteristic almost exclusive to higher-order primates. I don't mean to say that we can treat fish poorly because they don't know any better: every possible effort should be taken to provide fish with accommodations similar to that which they would find in the wild. I just think it's naive to assume that fish have the same awareness and perception that we do.

While no industry is perfect, especially if it deals with live animals, I think it's really a stretch to assert that most marine animals in this hobby are mistreated. If that is truly your opinion, you are doing all those animals a disservice and are participating in their mistreatment by continuing to practice this hobby. I am on these forums because while I do believe this hobby is imperfect, I don't believe the problem is inherent to the nature of marine aquarium keeping, and I do believe animal health and well-being can be improved. I do not participate in things that I believe are inherently inhumane if I can avoid them.

Sorry to threadjack @ThunderGoose :) I would probably try to give them to a LFS or fellow reefer. If that's not an option, hammer or freeze would be best.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back