Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many people have discovered or ran into. Sometimes people move and need to sell their tank and/or livestock with it.

What are you strategies for pricing such an item and actually selling it? Post your experiences here. Along with what you sold and how!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post on Craigslist

You have to come to the realization that your stuff is USED.

Tanks are much like a USED kids bicycle. Not shiny and new .... but viewed as worn down by the Buyer. Just like buying used kitchen pots and pans.

As a Seller you remember about how much you paid for it. But for God's sake, throw that # out the window.

You have to wrap your head around that at MOST its worth about $1.50/gal

Also take into the account the hassle of 'the move'. Just like pianos, unless it's a baby grand, you CANT give it away fir free bc of the hassle of moving it. Many many upright pianos on Craigslist for free just to get rid of it. Same with tanks, ppl don't want the hassle of moving it. Rather buy new and have it delivered to their garage door.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with local reef club messageboards if possible. Even places like the r2r classifieds for local pickup. Craigslist is the option you go to if you just have to get rid of it and want every imaginable lowball offer possible. Sure it is used and tanks dont hold their value well, but especially with the price of new tanks going through the roof the value of used tanks are also going up(at least in my area).

Also if you have name brand equipment (lights, powerheads, controllers,etc) they often do a much better job of holding their value and it often makes sense to part it out and offer shipping on those items and sell the tank itself locally

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

shakacuz

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with tanks, ppl don't want the hassle of moving it. Rather buy new and have it delivered to their garage door.

i would be more enticed to buy a used tank if i was helped to load it. but not everyone can offer that.

my main concern with used tanks is the silicone and if it needs to be resealed (not a big deal, just tedious). or any structural discrepancies (visible scratches). i also will not go for a tank without a stand.. people go for bundle deals.

mlbrown322

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my 90G to a person (from Craigslist) that was new to the hobby. I had my asking price, and I'm sure they were hoping to get that down. Instead, since they were new, I offered to transport the tank to their home and set it up. I had sold off some fish, and most corals, but some still remained and they were isolated in a smaller tank until the re-setup had time to settle in.

They were grateful for the knowledge and help and paid full price for everything. I was able to explain the tank, the system, how things worked, cleaning, ect...ect...

All that went a long way to getting my asking price.

Corals.com

Nhjmc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many people have discovered or ran into. Sometimes people move and need to sell their tank and/or livestock with it.

What are you strategies for pricing such an item and actually selling it? Post your experiences here. Along with what you sold and how!
I’m trying to find somewhere I can post for sale a 75 gallon drilled to a 30 gallon sump (includes the stand/cabinet) reef tank??

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JBJAquarium.com
Back