Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tested to see how much effect plastic might have? I'm planning to use Sterilite containers as my QT tanks. They are cheap, which is great, but with my physical handicap they will be soooo much easier to setup, take down, sanitize, etc. Plus, they already have lids. I'm less worried about copper because I can test for that. Maybe I should start with a little higher dose of CP when quarantining with CP?

I've dosed copper into "Sterilite QTs" and absorption was moderate. I'd say if you dosed CP @ 60mg/gal you should be OK.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Smo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I obtained some macro algae from a fellow reefer. His fish look really healthy but I suspect he may be an Ich manager vs. an Ich eradicator. I understand Ich tomonts won't attach to the algae and if it were algae alone I would be OK after two days or so, but what about copepods that appear to be in the algae? Do they have a hard shell that Ich tomonts can encyst on? In other words, do I need to quarantine the algae and pods for 76 days? I currently have it in a 5 G bucket with an airstone for circulation and 5K LED light. And yes, greater than 10' away from the nearest tank. :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I obtained some macro algae from a fellow reefer. His fish look really healthy but I suspect he may be an Ich manager vs. an Ich eradicator. I understand Ich tomonts won't attach to the algae and if it were algae alone I would be OK after two days or so, but what about copepods that appear to be in the algae? Do they have a hard shell that Ich tomonts can encyst on? In other words, do I need to quarantine the algae and pods for 76 days? I currently have it in a 5 G bucket with an airstone for circulation and 5K LED light. And yes, greater than 10' away from the nearest tank. :)

i would probably give the macro a good rinse, which should get rid of the pods in it (might take a thorough shaking too). Pour the pods in the invert QT and put the algae in the display. If you are paranoid about not getting them all off, then put the whole thing in the QT. Pods do have an exoskeleton, to answer your question so theoretically ich can encyst on them.

Smo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would probably give the macro a good rinse, which should get rid of the pods in it (might take a thorough shaking too). Pour the pods in the invert QT and put the algae in the display. If you are paranoid about not getting them all off, then put the whole thing in the QT. Pods do have an exoskeleton, to answer your question so theoretically ich can encyst on them.

Thanks for the quick reply! Not paranoid--just risk adverse when it comes to potential ICH contamination. Into a QT it goes. :)

Hemlawk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby. I didn't quarantine my fish. I've had my clowns for about 1 month and today they are showing signs of ick.
I'm going to Petco to start a hospital tank.
My question is, should I freshwater dip them before treating them in the hospital tank?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby. I didn't quarantine my fish. I've had my clowns for about 1 month and today they are showing signs of ick.
I'm going to Petco to start a hospital tank.
My question is, should I freshwater dip them before treating them in the hospital tank?
If you are sure it is Ich then I wouldn't bother with the dip. Just get them into the HT and start raising copper to therapeutic levels when you can.

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are sure it is Ich then I wouldn't bother with the dip. Just get them into the HT and start raising copper to therapeutic levels when you can.

agreed

Nutramar Foods

Hemlawk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell because I think we caught it fast. The one clown came to the surface of the DT and some of his skin shed off into an orange cloud.
34449965936_34fe453d98_h.jpg

34330868942_72227dbb71_h.jpg

Avast

Hemlawk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I appreciate it. They are currently in a QT treated with Ich-X, I also gave them a 2 minute freshwater dip before that.
I also have a 6 Line wrasse and Watchman goby in the DT. I can't catch them without taking out my aquascape. I may do that tomorrow....

JBslick81

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some fish on liveaquaria.comn after 2 days one clown wasn't doing very well and died. Also a blue hippo has a bit of a swollen eye with a white spot in it. I soaked their food with garlic power. The swelling went down and things were good for a couple weeks.

I recently noticed my flame angel from the same online order has a very cloudy and puffy eye. And the blue hippo has white spots on both eyes but no swelling.

I plan to get a qt setup soon. But need to cycle the water. I'm afraid the angels eye is going to burst if I don't do something quick.

What should my plan of action be?

I found a 30gallon long tank with HOB filer on Craigslist for 50 bucks. Should I sterilize it first.

I'm thinking it could be flukes but that doesn't explain the swelling.

I'm flying blind here. Any advice will help a lot. Thanks.
a525dde15c47fcda0a906180b7203e4e.png

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some fish on liveaquaria.comn after 2 days one clown wasn't doing very well and died. Also a blue hippo has a bit of a swollen eye with a white spot in it. I soaked their food with garlic power. The swelling went down and things were good for a couple weeks.

I recently noticed my flame angel from the same online order has a very cloudy and puffy eye. And the blue hippo has white spots on both eyes but no swelling.

I plan to get a qt setup soon. But need to cycle the water. I'm afraid the angels eye is going to burst if I don't do something quick.

I found a 30gallon long tank with HOB filer on Craigslist for 50 bucks. Should I sterilize it first.

It could be flukes with a secondary infection. I would do a fresh water dip ASAP to provide the fish some relief until you can get it treated properly.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone verify if this is brook? This is 24 hours after Ich-X treatment. I think I caught it early.
They are breathing fast and the other Clown is swimming upside down. sometimes.
Unfortunately, I think it is. :confused::(

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes. Sterilize the Qt before using it. You'll want to do a freshwater dip to confirm flukes. If it comes up positive then you'll treat the entire display wtih prazipro. After 24 hours, do a water change and move the angel into QT to start treating with erythromycin for the eye infection. The infection is likely secondary to whatever parasite it has. If flukes is negative then you'll want to get all the fish into the QT for treatment wtih copper since the next most likely cause is ich/velvet.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Back