Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank I will be lowering salinity is 30 gallons. I know rapid changes in salinity may produce unwanted reactions from tank inhabitants. Some say it is only harmful to rapidly increase salinity but is more forgiving when decreasing. My measurement is extremely high @1.032… I added almost over a gallon of freshwater already and the salinity now reads 1.030. I feel like I’ve already added a lot… Do I keep adding more until reached 1.026-1.028?

Top Shelf Aquatics

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You REMOVED 1 gallon of saltwater then added one gallon of RODI, correct? (Assume so,,, just checking)

Can't answer how rapidly it's safe but you could use this calculator with daily 1.000 SG (fresh) water change water to see how many daily, 1 gallon water changes it would take to get where you want (((just as an example))):

Target Salinity Calculator

OP
OP
B

Blackcoupe369

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You REMOVED 1 gallon of saltwater then added one gallon of RODI, correct? (Assume so,,, just checking)

Can't answer how rapidly it's safe but you could use this calculator with daily 1.000 SG (fresh) water change water to see how many daily, 1 gallon water changes it would take to get where you want (((just as an example))):

Target Salinity Calculator
Thanks for the info. Yes, I did. However what happens during the battle of evaporation? Shouldn’t you just be able to replace the evaporation with freshwater?

Nutramar Foods

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Yes, I did. However what happens during the battle of evaporation? Shouldn’t you just be able to replace the evaporation with freshwater?
That's why I wanted to clarify that you REMOVED 1 gallon of saltwater first.
If you didn't, evaporation down to normal water level will just bring salinity back up to where it was.

I like the idea of small, daily water changes using RODI instead of saltwater for the new water.
Norm is just remove some saltwater and let your ATO (or however you top off) with freshwater handle the rest,,, a reasonable amount per day, ideally.

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, firstly how are you testing salinity - want to make sure your numbers are right -

but pulling out a gallon 2-3 times a day and replacing with lower salinity or DI water should be fine

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back