+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you show us your come bottle trick?
Sure. Just a coke bottle, magnet, and mesh bag. Easier to change and frees up space. I only run carbon 4 days per month and phosgaurd whenever it’s needed. Just allows for more room in sump when not I use, which is majority of the time.

IMG_8030.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

Jasongtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont stress, my phosphate was 1.89 in a 32g tank, i dosed phosphate e and it brought it down, in my new bigger tank im going through the same issues due to new rock i suspect, currently sitting at .31 and again dosing phosphate e, once my manifold is plumbed ill use rowaphos in a reactor to maintain lower levels but will get it down with the phosphate e, i drip it in with a home made drip setup

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Nman

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont stress, my phosphate was 1.89 in a 32g tank, i dosed phosphate e and it brought it down, in my new bigger tank im going through the same issues due to new rock i suspect, currently sitting at .31 and again dosing phosphate e, once my manifold is plumbed ill use rowaphos in a reactor to maintain lower levels but will get it down with the phosphate e, i drip it in with a home made drip setup
Have you a photo of your home made drip set up please

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of using lithium chloride bind’s phosphate to get this high phos down l know you have to be careful on dosing
I think you mean lanthanum chloride, which I would not recommend in a small tank.

1. It can bring phosphate down very fast which could do more harm than good.
2. Unless filtered though a fine 5 micron filter sock the precipitated phosphate may clog the gills of sensitive fish
3. It is very tricky to dose in a small tank

The safest method is Phosguard.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Nman

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you mean lanthanum chloride, which I would not recommend in a small tank.

1. It can bring phosphate down very fast which could do more harm than good.
2. Unless filtered though a fine 5 micron filter sock the precipitated phosphate may clog the gills of sensitive fish
3. It is very tricky to dose in a small tank

The safest method is Phosguard.
Ok
Its just an old lucozade bottle with a aclimation drip and a home made acyclic bottle holderView attachment 3124136View attachment 3124137Looks good thank you
Yep does the job

OP
OP
Nman

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is the day to use lathanum chloride. info. The tanks volume is 37 litres with 2 kg of live rock. Three back chambers 1 nothing in it 2 sponge 3 heater and return pump. Was thinking of dripping it into no3 . So the question is can anyone who is using it do the maths so I can do a safe method of lowering phos water changes aren’t making a dent in it . Thanks for any help due to this dose has to be perfect. Ok phos is still at 1

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Nman

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? I have just the opposite opinion.
Hi Randy hi have the L chloride in front of me . And if I could get the right dose and no problems it would be great stuff . I know it can bad if not done correctly that’s why I was looking for someone to help me with the maths . This is on me if something goes wrong

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy hi have the L chloride in front of me . And if I could get the right dose and no problems it would be great stuff . I know it can bad if not done correctly that’s why I was looking for someone to help me with the maths . This is on me if something goes wrong

IMO, lanthanum chloride carries risks to fish that are not clearly understood, and may not be just related to the mechanics of using it.

What product/brand are you intending to use?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Nman

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, lanthanum chloride carries risks to fish that are not clearly understood, and may not be just related to the mechanics of using it.

What product/brand are you intending to use?
Hi Randy it’s 5 grams of L chloride they say it is 99.9%
641BA7C1-C132-42A0-A99F-4E296750205B.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy it’s 5 grams of L chloride they say it is 99.9% View attachment 3133593

I give DIY directions here:

Avast

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just easier to work with that’s all. I do not like media reactors and use a coke bottle with water running from the top and out that bottom instead. Don’t have to worry about tumbling.

Have you tried the same with GFO? I understand it is finer particle size, typically, but I'm not sure that would keep such a method from working.

GarrettT

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried the same with GFO? I understand it is finer particle size, typically, but I'm not sure that would keep such a method from working.
I like the idea, but with a gravity fed set up, I don’t know how well that would work. Haven’t tried it though. Gravity fed reactors aren’t meant to run in long stretches with fine media, as clogging will occur and overflow the top. Larger media like Phosgaurd takes only a couple days to exhaust, so it’s a non issue and very easy to remove.

I don’t have to remove po4 often, but if I did then the added steps of using a reactor might justify the time. I’ve been quite busy these past couple months and haven’t kept up with routine maintenance. Also, did a fluconazole treatment for a month without a WC. When I tested my po4, it was at 0.17ppm. Took about 2 weeks to drop to 0.05ppm using Phosgaurd. This was intended and nice as I didn’t want to shock the system too quickly. System has been steady at 0.05ppm for weeks now, but every couple of months I check and add a bag of phosgaurd if needed.

I could see GFO being more utilized for systems requiring heavy and continuous po4 removal. If my po4 rises from 0.03 to 0.1 over a two month period, then really all I need to do is drop the media in a mesh bag and wait 4 days.

IMG_8030.jpeg

OP
OP
Nman

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a update
Dosing my nano with L chloride using Randys recipe. Everything going good at the moment no effect on fish / snails / corals . What I am finding is I can lower it slowly but when you test next day it’s back up probably due to the rock leaching it out . But will keep dosing slowly but first signs are all good on such a small nano . One thing I would like to know is how long is L chloride mixed with rodi water good for in storage

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Brite the professionals choice
Back