Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have very high phosphate in a nano tank. Which method of reducing that works . Phosphate is 1 and nitrate 10 . I have been doing weekly water changes. Not using any phos removers at the moment. Nano tank has live rock and bare bottom floor. Any advice welcome . Been testing and phosphate not lowering I know it will be in the rock .

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Nman

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a very small a mount of GFO in your back chamber. Change it out every 7-14 days but keep testing your phosphates every 3-5 days so you don't bottom it out.

But how does the tank look now?
Rock work looking green but everything in it looking good. Always tested nitrate but never tested phosphate. My own mistake . Just need to get it down to a lower numbers then control it

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock work looking green but everything in it looking good. Always tested nitrate but never tested phosphate. My own mistake . Just need to get it down to a lower numbers then control it
Is this the tank in your Build thread you just started?

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Nman

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And your sure its 1 not .1?
Yes bright blue . Here is a photo of the tank right now
926D5C80-318D-4CEB-9441-CD18ECDD2CE9.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a 40% Wc which would be like 2-3 gallons and test again. Maybe get some neo-nitro just incase you need to dose nitrate to compensate for the big WCs. You may need to do another WC 3-4 days later to see if it puts a dent in your phos.

OP
OP
Nman

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a 40% Wc which would be like 2-3 gallons and test again. Maybe get some neo-nitro just incase you need to dose nitrate to compensate for the big WCs. You may need to do another WC 3-4 days later to see if it puts a dent in your phos.
doubleshot00 and all above thank you for info . Phosphate is silly high lol

Nutramar Foods

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have very high phosphate in a nano tank. Which method of reducing that works . Phosphate is 1 and nitrate 10 . I have been doing weekly water changes. Not using any phos removers at the moment. Nano tank has live rock and bare bottom floor. Any advice welcome . Been testing and phosphate not lowering I know it will be in the rock .

The issue with high phosphate is that it binds to carbonate surfaces such as reef rock.

What that means is that when you remove it from the water it leaches back out of the rock giving the impression that it is bouncing back up again. That is why although nitrates are easily removed with water changes, the same is not true for phosphate.

To bring them down in a nano, I'd suggest an aluminium oxide based phosphate remover such as Phosguard.
It has the advantage that it does not need to be tumbled like GFO, and can just be placed into a bag in the water flow. Rinse well before placing into the tank.

You will find it will take quite a while to come down from 0.4ppm, however you do not want to go fast as rapid reduction can result in poor reactions from organisms in the tank.

OP
OP
Nman

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with high phosphate is that it binds to carbonate surfaces such as reef rock.

What that means is that when you remove it from the water it leaches back out of the rock giving the impression that it is bouncing back up again. That is why although nitrates are easily removed with water changes, the same is not true for phosphate.

To bring them down in a nano, I'd suggest an aluminium oxide based phosphate remover such as Phosguard.
It has the advantage that it does not need to be tumbled like GFO, and can just be placed into a bag in the water flow. Rinse well before placing into the tank.

You will find it will take quite a while to come down from 0.4ppm, however you do not want to go fast as rapid reduction can result in poor reactions from organisms in the tank.
Thank you yep I have a spare chamber that I could put it in thanks again

Nutramar Foods

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer aluminum oxide to gfo as well. I use an inverted coke bottle that I cut in half and just have water run through it - no tumble. Same with carbon (seachem matrix).
can you show us your come bottle trick?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JBJAquarium.com
Back