How to keep snails and hermits from destroying corals ?

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way besides getting rid of them ? For a long time I didn’t understand what was wrong with these corals but after noticing big nails and hermits climbing on top of them, I figure they’re causing the problem, as other corals are doing okay.

These inverts serve a purpose so I’d like to keep them but how do I make them leave the corals alone ?

First picture : golden hammer and frogspawn, doing poorly. Second picture : green hammer (they’re only bothering the top head).

Thanks !

IMG_1279.jpeg

IMG_1280.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Idech

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the crabs. Not needed in a reef if you value frags and are having issues with them.

A lot of times the cuc goes hungry if not properly sized
I had a digitate hydroid infestation and I bought the hermit crabs to get rid of it. Which they did. Now it's under control but would reappear without them I’m afraid.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a digitate hydroid infestation and I bought the hermit crabs to get rid of it. Which they did. Now it's under control but would reappear without them I’m afraid.

Have the same hydroids and the crabs can control, but not eliminate them (some hydroids will always have their 'foot' hidden in a crack to regrow again).

You may just have too many crabs and snails. Size the CUC with just enough members to do the cleanup tasks, but not so many that there's always someone crawling on top of the corals.

Also generally, the more mature a system, the less CUC is typically needed.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Copepods
Back