Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, i will only use this one from now on.

Lets try to keep this thread focused on the pH concerns if you have other threads on fish health and coral issues, . Other threads on other topics are fine.

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a test today (aquaspin) after 5 days with the CO2 scrubber. As mentioned in my previous post, pH and Alk have been pegged at ~7.8-7.9 for a while.
Today it tested at 8.1 which is promising. Alk still 7.9 so I've nudged the dose up a little.

My preferred option would be to pump in outside air but the tank location just doesn't offer any sensible locations for pipework. We are just coming out of winter so the windows and doors will be open more soon which I expect will have a beneficial effect.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a test today (aquaspin) after 5 days with the CO2 scrubber. As mentioned in my previous post, pH and Alk have been pegged at ~7.8-7.9 for a while.
Today it tested at 8.1 which is promising. Alk still 7.9 so I've nudged the dose up a little.

My preferred option would be to pump in outside air but the tank location just doesn't offer any sensible locations for pipework. We are just coming out of winter so the windows and doors will be open more soon which I expect will have a beneficial effect.

Sounds good!.

The aquaspin is at the same location as the tank or taken to an LFS?

pH has the potential to change, usually drop, in a closed container that bacteria may produce CO2 in.

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good!.

The aquaspin is at the same location as the tank or taken to an LFS?

pH has the potential to change, usually drop, in a closed container that bacteria may produce CO2 in.
That's an interesting point. It's at my LFS which is about 15 minutes away and I always take the water out just as I leave.

The aquaspin only needs a few millilitres to run so I only take a small drop in a tub. I'm not sure if this would have an effect but then I take the same amount each time so any changes should be representative if nothing else!

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just have to exchange air. I know that it is winter, but a few minutes can do a great deal and not even drop the temp in your home very much. It is like rolling down the windows in a car when your nasty buddy cuts a fart... just a few seconds and 100% new air and nobody really gets cold. People think that it takes hours and you have to cool a home down, but you don't. Just pick a nice day and don't do this when a blizzard is happening. Even 40 degrees here in Colorado will barely drop the house temp 1 degree with a 48" whole house fan running for a few minutes, which is well more than 10-15k CFM. Even if the temp in your house drops a bit, stack the cost of a reactor, soda ash, shipping on that soda ash, etc. up against less than a few dollars of natural gas over a month.... and everybody in your house benefits from lower co2. A box fan in a window can speed things up for low cost.

Top Shelf Aquatics

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to opening the windows. I've been at 7.8 pH and 8.4-8.8 alk since starting. I'd like to see pH at 8, but I'm not worried right now. Time is coming for fresh air!

arafas

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to opening the windows. I've been at 7.8 pH and 8.4-8.8 alk since starting. I'd like to see pH at 8, but I'm not worried right now. Time is coming for fresh air!
you will see big differences for sure.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back