Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my reef tank with dead rock, I probably should have went with live right away but it’s too late for that. Having a slight bloom of diatoms on my rocks and a bit in my sand turning it almost an orange color… anyone know the best way to deal with this? Snails or Hermit Crabs? Also, what are the stages and timelines for dead rock turning into live rock? How long before my rock will become “live”? Thanks

World Wide Corals

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my reef tank with dead rock, I probably should have went with live right away but it’s too late for that. Having a slight bloom of diatoms on my rocks and a bit in my sand turning it almost an orange color… anyone know the best way to deal with this? Snails or Hermit Crabs? Also, what are the stages and timelines for dead rock turning into live rock? How long before my rock will become “live”? Thanks
As above, Strombus snails (conches) munch it up in no time.

Rock gains diversity all the time. Probably 12-15 months if you want SPS coral.
Much faster for LPS / Softies

Corals.com

CoastalTownLayabout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never consider diatoms in a new system as something I need to get rid of. They’re a phase that will eventually pass, likely replaced by green film algae.

Don’t throw too much CUC at this issue, diatoms are the classic boom and bust r type species and their inevitable demise can lead an overstocked CUC hungry and requiring supplemental feeding or worse still, dead and contributing to more difficult problems.

You’re about three months in with dry Marco and a Tidal yeah? GHA is probably the next hurdle you’ll encounter. This is the one you don’t want to let get away on you. Best managed by balancing light intensity and spectrum with regular water changes, mechanical filter upkeep, detritus removal, sand bed maintenance and the appropriate amount of CUC.

I feel like a stable population of amphipods is a good sign that a system is starting to mature. These guys are the unsung heroes in a reef tank, always working hard on the night shift.

It’s a long cruise sailor.

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back