Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Later this week I will be fully draining my 10g. I’m doing this so I can easily move the tank a few more centimetres from the wall, allowing for easier access to the back of the tank.

ive been considering switching to a bare bottom setup for a while now and feel like this would be the best time to do so. Would it be a bad idea to remove all the sand in one go and then just refill the tank and re add the rocks? Should I expect a mini cycle?

what should I look out for in the coming weeks after the sand removal? Should I expect an algal bloom on the bottom glass? Is there anything I can do to ease this transition?

Nutramar Foods

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been considering switching to a bare bottom setup for a while now and feel like this would be the best time to do so. Would it be a bad idea to remove all the sand in one go and then just refill the tank and re add the rocks? Should I expect a mini cycle?
Definitely a good time to do it! Try not to disturb the bed while draining the tank. Get as much clean water out first. Then move rock and then sand. Should not have a mini cycle. Prepare some new saltwater ahead of time to fill the space of the sand. Algae may or may not grow on the bottom glass. Snails love bare bottoms!!

OP
OP
Lineatus

Lineatus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a good time to do it! Try not to disturb the bed while draining the tank. Get as much clean water out first. Then move rock and then sand. Should not have a mini cycle. Prepare some new saltwater ahead of time to fill the space of the sand. Algae may or may not grow on the bottom glass. Snails love bare bottoms!!
Thanks for the quick reply. I also have three nassarius snails in the tank currently. I presume I should rehome them when I remove the sand?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Your Reef
Back