Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this aquarium off marketplace the other day and I didn't know it had this crack. I really do not want to replace the whole pannel as that would be very costly. Would I be able to epoxy or silicone it? The crack does not go to the other side of the glass and its only on the back panel. I'm welcome to any advice or help please and thanks.

IMG_4954.jpg IMG_4953.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
X

x4FIR_1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if I would personally use it... But if you wanted to try cheaply. You could euro brace that entire side. Run a 2 inch piece across touching all 3 panels.
I was kinda thinking of doing that anyway so i can have a tight fitting lid but yea that could help

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Nate Chalk

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly try.

My dad cut a boat in half and welded it together again. People told him it wouldn't float again and would break under motor torque. It didn't.

I re welded my sump acrylic back together when I was told to get a new tank.

All you can do is try and see. Up to you ultimately.

OP
OP
X

x4FIR_1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly try.

My dad cut a boat in half and welded it together again. People told him it wouldn't float again and would break under motor torque. It didn't.

I re welded my sump acrylic back together when I was told to get a new tank.

All you can do is try and see. Up to you ultimately.
I guess i'll try some epoxy and if it works I'll update the thread

Nutramar Foods

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not worth the time investment for me, I'd get a new tank. say it works for a few years everything is growing nice in your tank then it starts to crack more, and now you have to tear it down or it breaks further, are those few years of growth and the time invested a waste when you need a new tank anyway. idk for me I'd cut the loss before you get deeper into it.. just my opinion, good luck friend!

OP
OP
X

x4FIR_1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not worth the time investment for me, I'd get a new tank. say it works for a few years everything is growing nice in your tank then it starts to crack more, and now you have to tear it down or it breaks further, are those few years of growth and the time invested a waste when you need a new tank anyway. idk for me I'd cut the loss before you get deeper into it.. just my opinion, good luck friend!
replacing the tank would cost more than getting a new sheet of glass. the Light activated cyanoacrolate is a good idea, i've used it before and stopped the crack on my windshield.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
replacing the tank would cost more than getting a new sheet of glass. the Light activated cyanoacrolate is a good idea, i've used it before and stopped the crack on my windshield.
I'm no glass expert, but to just replace one side of glass you would need to remove all the silicon from every surface and redo every joint because new silicon doesn't bond to cured silicon so where the two meet you would have a weak spot, if you don't mind redoing the entire tank then yes this is doable.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back