How reliable are cheap TDS pens to test RO/DI in the 0 - 3 TDS range? Hanna Pure Water Tester?

AI Hydra

Muffin87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone here using to test the TDS of their RO/DI? Any tips or experiences concerning the reliability of cheap TDS pens?

Would you trust a cheap HM Digital TDS-3 Handheld TDS Meter? Plenty of positive reviews, but a reviewer pointed out:
I purchased this to verify my inline TDS meter was working properly. When I got it they were both off by 10 PPM. This was HMs response when asked about it: These meters are accurate within 2%, but have a range of 500ppm TDS, meaning 10ppm TDS is within that range of error.
The Hanna Pure Water Tester looks like a better alternative. Accuracy is ±2% (like the HM TDS-3), but a much lower range: 0.0 to 99.9 μS/cm range, i.e. 0-48 ppm range.

Do you need the extra accuracy of something like the hanna pure water tester, or a cheap TDS pen works just fine in your experience?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Unregistered1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the tds pen i have and it works great. To answer your would i trust a cheap tester...all are testers are cheap hobby grade. I actually have two of those and have verified off two and it always give me zero tds of my di. I checked them against distilled and same 0 tds.

CLICK TO VIEW

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone here using to test the TDS of their RO/DI? Any tips or experiences concerning the reliability of cheap TDS pens?

Would you trust a cheap HM Digital TDS-3 Handheld TDS Meter? Plenty of positive reviews, but a reviewer pointed out:

The Hanna Pure Water Tester looks like a better alternative. Accuracy is ±2% (like the HM TDS-3), but a much lower range: 0.0 to 99.9 μS/cm range, i.e. 0-48 ppm range.

Do you need the extra accuracy of something like the hanna pure water tester, or a cheap TDS pen works just fine in your experience?
I have the brs rodi with integrated tds meter, output never exceeds 0.
If the ro membrane is working, shouldn't the tds be zero?
If it fails, won't the reading be > 10 tds?
I had a ruptured membrane on an Amazon rodi, tds 44.
Are there other failure modes that would give tds < 10.
If not, is the gross tds check sufficient?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Unregistered1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the brs rodi with integrated tds meter, output never exceeds 0.
If the ro membrane is working, shouldn't the tds be zero?
If it fails, won't the reading be > 10 tds?
I had a ruptured membrane on an Amazon rodi, tds 44.
Are there other failure modes that would give tds < 10.
If not, is the gross tds check sufficient?
No you will never get zero with the membrane alone...close but not zero tds....That comes from the Di Resin portion

Unregistered1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The TDS meter just lets you know that your Di "Deionized" filter resin of the rodi is taking the remaining tds " Total Disolved Soilds" out of the water making it zero TDS......the RO "reverse Osmosis" filter used for drinking water takes it down to 3 tds its varies on people system but not much. That DI water is the one that needs to be zero tds for the reef. Thats all you need a meter to tell you if its zero tds....if not then change your DI resin its exhausted

World Wide Corals
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would trust the TDS-3 handheld over the inline meters on RODI units. The inline meters on RODI units do not have the temperature compensation feature that the TDS-3 handhelds have.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back