How often do you guys clean your sandbed?

EnemyAnenome

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of my sandbed, I wanted to know how often you guys clean your's because I don't want to starve my fighting conch and nassarius snails but I also want my sandbed looking nice and white. I thought my conch would do all the work for me lol...

Attachments

• IMG_3150.mp4
    31 MB
Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of my sandbed, I wanted to know how often you guys clean your's because I don't want to starve my fighting conch and nassarius snails but I also want my sandbed looking nice and white. I thought my conch would do all the work for me lol...
Your tank looks very new. You WILL get ugly stuff on the sand and for the most part, it won't need any intervention. If it's really bothering you, just stir the very top layer to cover up the diatoms and other algae that appears.

But also, your sand will likely not remain "nice and white". It's not like that in nature and unless you can eventually get your flow exactly right, you'll always have some "non-white" stuff somewhere...

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally vacuum a good portion of my sand with a Python gravel vacuum/syphon as my water change but I know many don't and there are reasons you might not want to.

As others mentioned, your sand looks REALLY CLEAN right now so don't expect it to stay that way long term.

get-salty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i gently syphon the top layer twice a year. you dont want to stir up the sand in a saltwater tank like in fresh water, esp if your tank have had ich.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I avoid it. I have what could be considered a dsb in a 50g cube (~3in) and that provides plenty of habitat for nassarius snails, bristleworms, and anaerobic bacteria. If you are concerned about keeping the sand white, doing regular water changes will help avoid buildup of dissolved nutrients contributing to algal growth. There are also lots of CUC that really love cleaning sand. Might be best to wait to see how your CUC is doing or how much you need. How old is the tank? If it's new, it will likely not look pristine forever. Corals uptake stuff, sure, but detritus is impossible to completely avoid and so you may need to adjust any approach you have as time goes on.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back