Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think is max aquarium size I can safely put on this table????? Wife won’t let me use a traditional stand so it needs to fit on this table to match the rest of our furniture. I have zero specs from manufacturer and just am curious what you would be comfortable putting on there. It’s 26” wide by 24” deep. Thanks in advance for all your thoughts:)
9D010533-BF56-41E3-9890-C0C481E8C489.jpeg
706F75D7-7691-423B-841D-BF74A6661CD5.jpeg

BRS
AS

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely difficult to tell from a picture. Is it made of solid wood or compressed? How thick is the top surface?

Not designed to hold a heavy aquarium. If you must use, think about reinforcing the top.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely difficult to tell from a picture. Is it made of solid wood or compressed? How thick is the top surface?

Not designed to hold a heavy aquarium. If you must use, think about reinforcing the top.
+1

Nutramar Foods

bradreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cross brace under the top with 2 x 4s and maybe under the bottom. Then really secure the legs. Otherwise, ive seen a lot crappier things with bigger tanks. Ide say 30 gallons no prob. Maybe bigger

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
N

Nathan Bertsch

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the deal is that’s my option or no aquarium and I can’t modify it unless it’s not visible. I was thinking either a 26x24x24 about 60 gallons, 26x24x18 about 45 gallons, or 20x20x18 about 30 gallons.
I mean petco sells these dinky metal stands for 55 gallon aquariums and they look like 3% as strong as this thing….. but I’m not a engineer, and am basically dumb!

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sat on it….. I’m 270 lbs….. it didn’t budge, creak, nothing.
That's not really the deciding factor. Over time with continued weight will the table bow or warp? This is what causes tank leaks.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sat on it….. I’m 270 lbs….. it didn’t budge, creak, nothing.

Yes, but you didn't sit on it for an extended period of time. The weight of your tank is around the clock, 365 days per year. It may support 270 for a brief sit.

If you have a 40 gallon tank at 8 pounds per gallon, that is 320 pounds. Now add the weight of the equipment, live rock, stock...

You also have to make sure the table is square in relation to the legs.

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think is max aquarium size I can safely put on this table????? Wife won’t let me use a traditional stand so it needs to fit on this table to match the rest of our furniture. I have zero specs from manufacturer and just am curious what you would be comfortable putting on there. It’s 26” wide by 24” deep. Thanks in advance for all your thoughts:)View attachment 3050491View attachment 3050494
29 Gallon Cube is probably the biggest tank you could put on it.

You want the tank corners to align with the legs, so the dimensions should about work out.

29 gallons plus tank works out to about ~80lbs per leg, which isn’t much.

Bigger cube tanks are gonna be right up at the edge of the table, so probably not a good idea.

Bigger issue is the corners all need to be in contact when the tank is resting on the table - a non-purpose built top may not be as flat as you need. If a corner isn’t in contact then the tank isn’t being supported the way it’s been designed, so will probably fail.

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on finances I'm sure there are some aquarium makers out there that have some very nice cabinets. Anything big box store will reflect that. I'd check out cade or glasscages to name a couple.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on finances I'm sure there are some aquarium makers out there that have some very nice cabinets. Anything big box store will reflect that. I'd check out cade or glasscages to name a couple.

As I understand it, his wife won't let him use anything for a stand other than that table as it matches the decor.

Maybe build a stand with the same color scheme?

OP
OP
N

Nathan Bertsch

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not really a matter of money, it can’t be a different table. Like this is my option. I could go buy a
As I understand it, his wife won't let him use anything for a stand other than that table as it matches the decor.

Maybe build a stand with the same color scheme?
your correct, it’s this and only this for a table. I’ve got my nice big reef in the basement but wanted a nice smaller setup in our formal living room. She agreed as long as it could sit on the pictures table with ZERO modifications. It’s the “pretty” room so there’s zero compromises on table design or choice….. it’s that or nothing.

Nutramar Foods

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very familiar with this type of furniture and the only warning I have is check/tighten the corner screws every couple months. Do not overtighten.

Maybe disassemble the stand and then glue/clamp it back together?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Hanna
Back