How many of you guys use colored lens filters for your reef photography?

BRS

Do you use colored lens filters in your reef photography?

• Yes! I love these! Super helpful! (Post in the thread to tell us which one you use.)

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Yep. I view them as a necessary evil for my photography.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • No. I've actually never tried them (but I might).

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • Nope. I've tried them but they weren't for me.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Other (Post in the thread)

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many of you guys use colored lens filters for your coral/reef photography?

Photo by Charlie's Frags
2 - lens - Charlie’s Frags .jpeg

These filters can be really helpful (especially for those of us who aren't as good at "dialing in" camera settings to correct the blue hues in our reef photos). Here's an interesting article that helps to explain what happens with light and photography in underwater settings and why these filters are so helpful: COLOR CORRECTING FILTERS FOR UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY

Here's a video that shows what these can do:

What do you guys think? Have you found these to be helpful? Which ones do you like best?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the time of day I am shooting and what kind of pictures I want to take. At my peak white, I generally do not use any filters and just make post edits in lightroom adjusting the color temperature. If I am shooting in very heavy blues, I will use the new 55mm orphek lens kit. I have a step up adapter that allows me to use it with my a6000.

I also have tiffen's orange filter (forgot the exact model), but I am not a huge of it. I feel like the orange is way too strong compared to the orphek kit and creates artificial color pop

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a cheap set from Amazon. Not sure of the brand. I gave up photography a few years ago so all my nice equipment is gone. When I used a dslr I would just create a custom WB using a white card. Now that I'm just using a phone filters it is. I sometimes use orange sometimes yellow and other times I stack them. I've recently found that using pro mode on my S21 and adjusting the WB works as well if I can it better that the filters tho.

N1tew0lf1212

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do i have the Orphek 52mm kit for phone use and it makes a huge difference. Like night and day difference lol. I like the kit but my wife seems to think its hers to show off our tank to all her friends lol either way win win i guess. Wasnt too expensive either which is good in this hobby.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use orphek for my phone and works amazing compared to without. If I had a nice camera it may be different but I’m not into photography enough to justify it for tank pictures

ClownSchool

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photo by Charlie's Frags
View attachment 2667362

These filters can be really helpful (especially for those of us who aren't as good at "dialing in" camera settings to correct the blue hues in our reef photos). Here's an interesting article that helps to explain what happens with light and photography in underwater settings and why these filters are so helpful: COLOR CORRECTING FILTERS FOR UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY

What do you guys think? Have you found these to be helpful? Which ones do you like best?
No, I just place my cheap UV glasses over my phone’s lens. It works well enough.

dlaird76

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Photo by Charlie's Frags
View attachment 2667362

Found this video very helpful, especially the editing techniques to use for a beginner. Gonna give it a go. Thanks for sharing.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back