Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a dark cycle on my tank and added some copepods and fish. Copepods and fish are doing good. I’ve eased up on feeding and using better food sources. My nitrates are 12 and phosphates are .12. I added corals so my lights are now on. How long until the uglies start?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

LPS Bum

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use dry rock or live rock? Sand or bare bottom?

Every tank is different, but you can expect diatoms to hit pretty soon. They’ll go away on their own in a few weeks. It’s the dinos that sometimes follow that you have to watch out for. Took me a good 3-4 months to get past them on my new set up.

AS

Kittypowpow

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I did the same dark start, and copepods/fish..... I had a sand bottom (oolite, highly NOT recommended) and did dry live rock (?) it was in a dry box so well call it dry for intents and purposes.... I waited maybe 2-3 months before adding fish. I was positive I skipped uglies. I turned lights on and waited another couple months. I didn't have anything other than a couple diatoms in the sand. So I started adding more.... another month or so went by, and everything was beautiful and thriving. Give it another month-ish, and boom algae outbreak like crazy. Killed a bunch of things off in my tank and I was ready to throw in the towel. I kept with it (mostly because holy investment, I cant back out now) and now just shy of 1 year, I'm just starting to conquer the battle on algae. I finally have stable parameters (even though I thought I did before). So I would say somewhere between day 1 and 1 year......final answer. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Propane

Propane

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did the same dark start, and copepods/fish..... I had a sand bottom (oolite, highly NOT recommended) and did dry live rock (?) it was in a dry box so well call it dry for intents and purposes.... I waited maybe 2-3 months before adding fish. I was positive I skipped uglies. I turned lights on and waited another couple months. I didn't have anything other than a couple diatoms in the sand. So I started adding more.... another month or so went by, and everything was beautiful and thriving. Give it another month-ish, and boom algae outbreak like crazy. Killed a bunch of things off in my tank and I was ready to throw in the towel. I kept with it (mostly because holy investment, I cant back out now) and now just shy of 1 year, I'm just starting to conquer the battle on algae. I finally have stable parameters (even though I thought I did before). So I would say somewhere between day 1 and 1 year......final answer. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Lol fair enough. I was told by sooo many people I wouldn’t beat them no matter what. It’s the only reason I said bring it and turned the lights on. The fish had plenty of ambient light just so no one thinks I blacked ‘‘em out. There was enough to put a bit of algae on the glass.

scottkoji

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow. Nailed that.

OP, every tank is different. Like really different. But my guess is that you’ll start seeing diatoms within the next few days (hours maybe lol) and then….who knows…

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Propane

Propane

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Nailed that.

OP, every tank is different. Like really different. But my guess is that you’ll start seeing diatoms within the next few days (hours maybe lol) and then….who knows…
I’m bracing for it lol. Been 2 days. At least I have pictures of it when it was pristine with a single fish.

scottkoji

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m bracing for it lol. Been 2 days. At least I have pictures of it when it was pristine with a single fish.
Lol you’ll be fine. It really is unavoidable. If you want your rocks to be livable then stuff has to start living on it and that usually doesn’t start off pretty. Adding competing sources of good algae like coralline might help. When you do start adding coral, try not to feed the whole tank. Feed your fish and let your fish feed the coral and that will help you balance your nutrients.

AquaCave Logo Banner

1112-425XL

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
afc7e1a5-943f-4e8e-8052-a99d44487572_text.gif

THEN IT WAS GONE!

OP
OP
Propane

Propane

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 of ugly watch and I found brown spots on the backside of my rock when I got home. When I tested this morning phosphate was at .29. Tested when I got home and it was down to .26 . Must be where those points went if that’s a thing. For now I’m gonna only use frozen food at a reduced rate as I was using pellets and flakes. I did a water change and I’ll test in the morning.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every tank gets the uglies. You just need a diverse and plentiful cuc.

Get your self a good clean up crew . Turbo snails etc . Yep we’ve all been through it at some point. Good luck
These are the two must important post in this thread for the moment. You can never hinder algae to grow but you can hinder them taking over with help of grazers. Include urchins, hermits, snails an so on in your set up. Bristletooth tang´s are also good if the aquarium is large enough

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Propane

Propane

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the two must important post in this thread for the moment. You can never hinder algae to grow but you can hinder them taking over with help of grazers. Include urchins, hermits, snails an so on in your set up. Bristletooth tang´s are also good if the aquarium is large enough

Sincerely Lasse
So far I got some cerith snails and a stomatella. I haven’t seen the stomatella since it went in the tank but the Cerith are “running” around all night.

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen the stomatella since it went in the tank
I see mine(s) maybe once every second month. You need hermits and urchins too. Stay away from the larger hermits - there is rather many small ones that are excellent grazers

Sincerely Lasse

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Propane

Propane

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see mine(s) maybe once every second month. You need hermits and urchins too. Stay away from the larger hermits - there is rather many small ones that are excellent grazers

Sincerely Lasse
Should I get a hermit now or wait until there is food for it?

biom

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every tank gets the uglies. You just need a diverse and plentiful cuc.
I really want to see such an examples of tanks never experienced uglies. Are you talking from your experience? Every tank I started will get the Uglies sooner or latter, sometimes really bad, sometimes barely visible. Cuc can certainly help but they are not magical cure. I found this BRS experiment when they cycled several tanks with different approaches quite interesting even not very scientifically sound. But finally every tank they started went throughout the ugly phase even months after.

Kittypowpow

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know you want it to clear up ASAP, but as cliché as it sounds give it time. If you get a massive CUC it will clean everything short term, but you'll soon be stressed with your CUC starving to death and dying one by one, spiking your ammonia causing other problems. get a couple good ones your willing to supplement feed(after the algae is gone) and give it time. I know its so difficult, but trust me your wallet will thank you in the long run. I lost almost $1500 worth of livestock.... all because I thought I was good and didn't wait. just be patient, it will be much more rewarding in the long run.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to see such an examples of tanks never experienced uglies. Are you talking from your experience? Every tank I started will get the Uglies sooner or latter, sometimes really bad, sometimes barely visible. Cuc can certainly help but they are not magical cure. I found this BRS experiment when they cycled several tanks with different approaches quite interesting even not very scientifically sound. But finally every tank they started went throughout the ugly phase even months after.
You can follow this thread - its one of many aquariums I have started without any uglies at all. Its possible if you have a dissent Clean up Crew and introduce it early - the same time you put on the light. Here is the method I always use

Should I get a hermit now or wait until there is food for it?
You have food for it already - trust me. The trick is to introduce the CUC before you see any visual algae. When you see algae - its mostly too late or you need a very large clean up crew that can create other problems. Micro algae can double its biomass in half a day or lesser. If you wait until you visually see the algae - the growth rate is probably so high that your CUC do not are able control the growth of micro algae - the daily growth is higher than the daily consumption

Sincerely Lasse

biom

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can follow this thread - its one of many aquariums I have started without any uglies at all. Its possible if you have a dissent Clean up Crew and introduce it early - the same time you put on the light. Here is the method I always use
Thank you for sharing, you say CuC do it but I think 40+ years of experience and hundreds of aquariums started could contribute to the final result significantly :)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back