How long of a freshwater dip does it take to kill aptasia?

BRS

Jmp998

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia will survive at least 12 hours in room temperature tap water (some will die but many will live). This was in a bare bucket. I thought letting them soak overnight would make them dissolve and I would not have to scrub them out. I was wrong.

OP
OP
S

Schulks

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I dropped a few peppermint shrimp in the fuge ? I've read so many contradicting things about them though. If the only problem is they eat corals then no problem in the fuge.
My LFS has a bunch of them should I toss a couple in my bucket of chaeto?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I dropped a few peppermint shrimp in the fuge ? I've read so many contradicting things about them though. If the only problem is they eat corals then no problem in the fuge.
My LFS has a bunch of them should I toss a couple in my bucket of chaeto?
Your LFS marketing has worked.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick your marketer. Live algae sponsors or your LFS.
I think I'm with my LFS. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bad choice most of the time lol.. toss the chaeto and get some clean stuff! Has to be someone local that will give it away to you!

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, while I completely agree, dont intentionally add something to your tank you dont want. Its not if, its when you get aiptasia. As least for the greater 90% of the hobby. Disregard what some folks say about you cant manage it, and it goes out of control. Yes it grows fast, yes it can go anywhere. If you act when you see them, and dont get lazy about it. Its not all that difficult to keep up with.

Jmp998

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put in sump, very likely aiptasia will spread to main tank through plumbing before shrimp eat them all. And that’s assuming you get shrimp that actually eat them. Safest option is to discard. There is also the risk that if the chaeto is that obviously infesred with Aiptasia, it may have other nasties as well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some chaeto and the source had tons of aptasia. I tried to get a clean piece but now I'm freshwater dipping for a couple hours to try and clean it up more. I read chaeto can survive a pretty long time in freshwater.

How long can aptasia survive freshwater though?
If it’s only going into a refugium, I wouldn’t worry. If it gets into the DT then hit those guys with Aiptasia-X.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get me wrong, I hate Aiptasias but I think some of these posts are a little dramatic. The chaeto looks pretty clean… you could definitely just pull out parts that you know are clean and add those to the fuge. Or, if you’re really concerned about aiptasia, chuck it.

Eventually in your reefing career, you will have an aiptasia to deal with and if you notice it quickly, they’re not the worst thing ever.

Also, I have kept plenty of peppermint shrimp with rock flower anemones, bubble tips & all other types of corals - I’ve never had an issue, but that’s just me. They’d be happy to live in your fuge, if you want them - just make sure you feed them something besides just letting them subside on the few aiptasias you might have.

Corals.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Breeders
Back