How Long Is Normal For Dottyback To Hide Out?

Nutramar

Lester Verano

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pseudochromis orchid dotty back has been missing for a day or so. She shares the tank with only one clown, a Blue eye kole tang, and a large snail. The other fish get along good with her, and my parameters are pristine. Is it normal for this fish to just up and decide to disappear into the rock work for a while? If this is normal, how long do they do this for? Tank is 35 gallon covered. She usually is out in the display with the other fish swimming around most of the day.

Corals.com
CLICK TO VIEW
BRS
OP
OP
L

Lester Verano

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW she is alive and well. just wants to be in a cave I think she likes and want to call her little hobbit hole. trick is turn off the pumps, that's when everyone knows it's time to eat. :)

OP
OP
L

Lester Verano

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a turn of a dime, now dotty is missing again. this time it was for longer, so if you see my last post was a Thursday. It's not Tuesday, and I have been lifting rocks in my tank, and the dotty is nowhere. I have a very large snail, an I'm pretty sure it had something to do with it. maybe the snail cornered her while sleeping and devoured. had to be it. I don't think I'll ever see the dottybavk again. it'd be a small miracle if that fish was hiding somewhere else this entire time. especially after I've been moving rock around like I have.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
L

Lester Verano

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As nail not only would not, it simply cannot eat a healthy living fish. It simply does not have the ability to attack a fish.
I agree. Is there a chance stuck in the rocks? Also, the behavior changed from constantly in display for 2 months, to a recluse, a day or so since this total disappearance. I Gotta wonder if just got ill and died..., Do these fish hibernate? all the while my kole tang and clown thrive on, and so do my corals.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Coral Frenzy
Back