Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering how long it takes you to go through a pack of fish food say something like a pack of frozen mysis? For me it takes around 6 months if not more. But shorter for frozen clams or other items. How long does a pack or container of fish food last you?

BRS

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say, but I feed 1 full sheet of two little fishies nori every day along with one cube of mysis or brine, a chunk of Rods original frozen about the same size of a cube and a chunk of homemade frozen also about the same size. Sometimes I’ll drop a few pellets in once a day before or after feeding time.
I guess if I was judging off portions, I’d guess one pack of cubes might last 13-15 days.

That’s for
A young purple tang
A young two spot bristle tooth tang
Foxface lo
Midas blenny
4 cardinals
2 clowns
2 zebra darts
Melanorus wrasse
2 fire shrimp
And a couple of serpent stars and a bunch of CUC

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say, but I feed 1 full sheet of two little fishies nori every day along with one cube of mysis or brine, a chunk of Rods original frozen about the same size of a cube and a chunk of homemade frozen also about the same size. Sometimes I’ll drop a few pellets in once a day before or after feeding time.
I guess if I was judging off portions, I’d guess one pack of cubes might last 13-15 days.

That’s for
A young purple tang
A young two spot bristle tooth tang
Foxface lo
Midas blenny
4 cardinals
2 clowns
2 zebra darts
Melanorus wrasse
2 fire shrimp
And a couple of serpent stars and a bunch of CUC
That is a big tank and that is a lot of food! Fish have little tummies lol. Nom! Nom!

Top Shelf Aquatics

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a big tank and that is a lot of food! Fish have little tummies lol. Nom! Nom!
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Your right. When I had the same fish in my 65 gallon I fed about half that. Now they are in a 180 gallon and I have been trying to get my nutrients up. I have a much larger skimmer now and a filter roller. I’m finally averaging about 8 nitrate and .03 phosphate. But the fish are fat and happy
IMG_4646.jpeg
IMG_4163.jpeg

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Your right. When I had the same fish in my 65 gallon I fed about half that. Now they are in a 180 gallon and I have been trying to get my nutrients up. I have a much larger skimmer now and a filter roller. I’m finally averaging about 8 nitrate and .03 phosphate. But the fish are fat and happyView attachment 3142034View attachment 3142035
Aaa that makes a lot more sense now lol! Meanwhile I struggle to keep my nutrients down haha.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be a never ending battle!
I know which is why I stopped caring. I just perform weekly maintenance but I know very well my nutrients are sky high and why I won’t keep any SPS. I tried in the beginning I really did and crashed my tank in the process and learned my lesson after that.

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know which is why I stopped caring. I just perform weekly maintenance but I know very well my nutrients are sky high and why I won’t keep any SPS. I tried in the beginning I really did and crashed my tank in the process and learned my lesson after that.
What is “sky high”? I’m no pro, but I have decided that high nutrients are not a reason for sps dying. I didn’t have success with acros until I was able to maintain my alk, calcium and magnesium. I’m talking every test every week is basically no change from the last.
I tried two part but All For Reef is what I see success with. Once dialed in, every test is the same.
my last tank averaged 22-25 ppm nitrate and .15 ppm phosphate.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is “sky high”? I’m no pro, but I have decided that high nutrients are not a reason for sps dying. I didn’t have success with acros until I was able to maintain my alk, calcium and magnesium. I’m talking every test every week is basically no change from the last.
I tried two part but All For Reef is what I see success with. Once dialed in, every test is the same.
my last tank averaged 22-25 ppm nitrate and .15 ppm phosphate.
Above 30 nitrates and average or around 1 in phosphates it’s a 20 gallon nano with three fish, a starfish, shrimp, urchin, hermits, and snails lol! I learned my lesson there and won’t get a nano again haha. I forget what it was the last time I tested but it’s very high. There’s some hair algae too I need to remove. The only time they were zero or ideal levels was when it was first set up haha. I have a fleece roller and skimmer. It’s an AIO and I know the original media may be contributing but it works for me lol. I’ve killed a few corals lol and an SPS that was nearly dead when I got it anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by success, I mean no death, decent colors and I can see growth. But 95% of my acros are still small
Oh and I forgot there’s an anemone and some various corals in it.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 35 fish, autofeeder with pellets feeds 3 times a day and gets filled about once a month. For frozen I make a home made mix to feed once a day, costs about $80 here for around 5 or 6 months’ worth of food:

View attachment 3142052
Wow that’s a lot of fish food lol! I’m sure your fish love it.:)

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
ACC
Back