Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hear me out. I've had my aquarium going for about a year. It's a 100 gallon system with a moderate number of fish, snails, crabs, and coral. I bought the red sea skimmer, and have been using it during that time. In the course of a year, I've NEVER felt like the skimmer was "dialed in". Despite numerous attempts to reign it in, it would invariably skim way too much (fill the container in an hour or less) or skim way too little (fill the container never). I can't get it do anything in between.

Do I really need to use this thing? It doesn't seem to ever do anything helpful.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Here's some of my skimmerless systems.

90 Gallon Mixed Reef

500 gallon

Mixed Reef started in 1997, 10-07-19

220 Rimless 450 view

Here's some reseaarch that's been pretty much ignored by most aquarists. It not only showed there's not much difference between skimmers but ti showed they don't pull out that much. It also identified two different metrics the skimmer industry and aquarists could use but niether has been adopted so aquarists have to go on just hearsay that any design is better than another.

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 1

Protein Skimmer Performance, Pt 2

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hear me out. I've had my aquarium going for about a year. It's a 100 gallon system with a moderate number of fish, snails, crabs, and coral. I bought the red sea skimmer, and have been using it during that time. In the course of a year, I've NEVER felt like the skimmer was "dialed in". Despite numerous attempts to reign it in, it would invariably skim way too much (fill the container in an hour or less) or skim way too little (fill the container never). I can't get it do anything in between.

Do I really need to use this thing? It doesn't seem to ever do anything helpful.
A tank can thrive without a skimmer - especially if regular water changes are performed. There is value with skimming in removing organic waste and increasing oxygen levels, but that too is what water changes employ

BRS

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything it’s adding o2 to the water levels… most likely you need to raise the skimmer up like 2” in the sump to get better control over it.. it’s not a necessity but it’s better to have one then not.

PhishMonger84

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how does one dial in a skimmer?

I have had similar issues in the past with them, I have a Nyos quantum and an Aqua Maxx HOB. neither are running right now as I'm accumulating parts and installing an RO system (like one baby step a night)

It seems difficult to "dial in" and to know when it's working correctly.

BRS

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had similar issues in the past with them, I have a Nyos quantum and an Aqua Maxx HOB. neither are running right now as I'm accumulating parts and installing an RO system (like one baby step a night)

I personally set my skimmers up at 5” water depth and have great control over them no matter what the manufacture recommends.. normally they say 7”-11” depending on model.

natashakay.

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 systems up and running. One has a skimmer one doesn’t. Only reason I have a skimmer on the one is cause it’s mostly just fish.
My other one has a good amount of corals and they kinda act like a skimmer in a way. I personally don’t chase numbers. If everything in my tank is happy I leave it be.

nothing_fancy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a small system using the skimmer to elevate PH. I could probably do without it in regards to organic waste but for me its just what works to elevate PH. I run it recirculating through a scrubber. As far as "dialing" they are finicky, If I move mine to clean it I have to readjust the flow. I use a ball valve after the pump, has to be fully open to get it started and then incrementally closed about 50% to get the water level correct. It does stay put though.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

bert236

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run skimmers on any of my tanks. My 65 gallon I was going to when I added the sump but my nutrients are fairly low anyways so I didn't. I can't keep nutrients off zero in my frag tank so I decided not to run one on there either. I don't have any mechanical filtration either. Check out bertsreef on Instagram if you want to see the tanks. Nothing crazy but I'm happy with everything and I keep a lot of acros. Would I benefit from a skimmer? Maybe, but to me it's not worth the hundreds of dollars to find out when everything is running fine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd run a skimmer even if it did nothing besides aerate the water. :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the need for a skimmer is determined by the input of organic matter (food) and the density and makeup of the organisms within the system. A generic discussion about the need for a skimmer is difficult at best. If your system displays symptoms of higher than desired dissolved organics, you need a skimmer. If it doesn't, you don't.

My system has a skimmer that runs regardless of need. The skimmer runs dry and sometimes skims almost nothing. However, when I get a wild hair and increase the input of food or other things high in organics more than I should, it helps protect the tank from my overexuberance.

fodsod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one on my 90g due to carbon dosing. Seems to be an essential part of that process. My skimmer has actually been easier to keep dialed in since I started carbon dosing. Not sure why, maybe because there's more to skim due to the increase amount of bacteria from the dosing.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let me ask you a question.

If you knew how to adjust the skimmer, would you have posted this question?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the best mechanical filter there is although I’m attacking that problem via decomposition and carbon dosing although forced to incorporate a refugium to remove excess CO2 to raise ph.

Still not clear what chemicals skimming removes that can’t be solved by other means and not having a skimmer is one less complex item that needs to take space and time and effort.

I’m from before the Berlin method took hold. Rather just keep it simple unless it provides a unique solution that other easier approaches won’t solve.

Nutramar Foods

Charles Zinn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you havr an ATO?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back