Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some water discoloration (yellow tint) and understand GAC can help remove impurities / dissolved organic compounds that I think are causing this tint. But I’m new at this and gave not used this before.

So…

How do you actually use this stuff? Do you (at the basic level) just put it in a bag in the filter sock?

AquaCave Logo Banner
Corals.com

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Media bags are fine but work best in a high flow area to try and keep the carbon moving a bit. If not it can clump together and reduce the area in contact with the water which reduces effectiveness.
Positioned toward the return chamber is better too as this will minimise the liklihood of detritus blocking the holes in the bag.
I ran some in a Bubble Magus reactor along with Rowaphos. Unfortunately, even on the slowest flow setting it would all get pushed to the top and block the flow.
I now run it in a media bag but a reactor would be best.

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all

Mini reactor looks like a good option for my setup - have to research more, but in the meantime - would putting one of those prefab HOB carbon filter inserts in the sump bubble trap be a viable temporary option? All flow through the sump goes through this narrow pathway downstream from the mechanical filtration.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back