Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us describe our system volumes by the advertised volume listed by the tank/sump manufacturers, but the actual volume is always somewhat, or significantly less.
Tank sizes are usually listed based on the outside dimensions, not taking into consideration the glass thickness and running water height, let alone the volume taken up by the rock, sand, equipment, or even livestock. Generally this isn't a big deal and is industry standard, but how many of us use this volume when dosing or adding supplements or doing water changes? How many of us are significantly over dosing additives?
I recently took down one of my systems that consisted of a standard 29 gallon display with a 20 gallon sump. 49 gallon system volume, right? Not even close! I measured the water volume I removed at ~26 gallons (of which 10 gallons was in the sump). Typically when I estimate my system volumes, I ignore the sump capacity and just go with the display volume to approximate my actual water volume, but I was still over estimating by about 10%

Do you consider actual system volume when adding supplements/chemicals/etc. to you aquarium?
How are you measuring actual system volume?

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious about this when I was starting my 90 recently. 90 gallon with center overflow and either 15 or 20 gallon sump (can’t remember offhand). Anyways, once I put 80 pounds of sand, and 2 Liferock reef trees which they say are around 30-35 pounds each, my tank and sump combined only took 85 gallons of water (exactly). So tons of displacement really. Over 20 gallons worth

WarChief

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us describe our system volumes by the advertised volume listed by the tank/sump manufacturers, but the actual volume is always somewhat, or significantly less.
Tank sizes are usually listed based on the outside dimensions, not taking into consideration the glass thickness and running water height, let alone the volume taken up by the rock, sand, equipment, or even livestock. Generally this isn't a big deal and is industry standard, but how many of us use this volume when dosing or adding supplements or doing water changes? How many of us are significantly over dosing additives?
I recently took down one of my systems that consisted of a standard 29 gallon display with a 20 gallon sump. 49 gallon system volume, right? Not even close! I measured the water volume I removed at ~26 gallons. Typically when I estimate my system volumes, I ignore the sump capacity and just go with the display volume to approximate my actual water volume, but I was still over estimating by about 10%

Do you consider actual system volume when adding supplements/chemicals/etc. to you aquarium?
How are you measuring actual system volume?
You got me wanting to go home and take some internal measurements to verify volume now!!

Nutramar Foods

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I can do is use some online calculators that take into account best guesses at rock displacement but I, really, have no idea what my true volume is.

It'd be interesting to see a database of info from people that actually paid attention to true water volume when first filling different tank sizes.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After updating our display tank last fall, we put all the plumbing under the patio. When that trip to Home Depot came back at $600 I calculated how much water we had sitting inside the pipes underground and the volume was 46 gallons.

My tank capacity volumes is 1500gals but the filled volume is 1250.

Dave B

ReefinIt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was always a guessing game so when I set up my last tank, I measured the volume I put in. Tank is 130g, 48X24x26 with an external overflow box, 40 gallon breeder sump, and a good amount of rock. I put in 128 gallons.

Avast
Avast

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How, exactly, does one measure the amount of water required to fill a system LOL. I just take the ID measurements (in inches), multiply them together and divide by 231. My 450, with 1" walls held 400 gallons. That most tanks hold much less than advertised has been long known.

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a 60 gallon IM AIO so assume I actually have roughly 50 gallons in the display. Have a small refugium hang on so total system volume is about 63 gallons

Corals.com

Pankney72

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250 gallon custom tank filled close to the top with a moderate amount of rock. 70 gallon sump filled about 75%. I just call the system 250 gallons for most purposes. I do water changes though, so other than cranking up or down my calcium reactor I rarely have volume based measurements to make.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Bulk Reef Supply
Back